• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't say there was a particular extra I disliked, if that's what you're asking. Maybe that scene where they go black pilot, woman pilot, alien pilot, hispanic pilot in about two seconds?

Honestly, it's not the sort of thing I'd complain about if it was a better movie. It sure ain't that, but you see every critic praising it for its "diversity."

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't say there was a particular extra I disliked, if that's what you're asking. Maybe that scene where they go black pilot, woman pilot, alien pilot, hispanic pilot in about two seconds?

Honestly, it's not the sort of thing I'd complain about if it was a better movie. It sure ain't that, but you see every critic praising it for its "diversity."

Fair enough.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you didn't think the new Star Wars movie was focus-grouped and diversified you're either being disingenuous or blind. It's what made it unwatchable for me -- not that I can't stand women or minorities, but I couldn't get past how trite and forced it all was. It felt like a way to generate revenue from an investment, not enjoyment from creativity.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

If you didn't think the new Star Wars movie was focus-grouped and diversified you're either being disingenuous or blind. It's what made it unwatchable for me -- not that I can't stand women or minorities, but I couldn't get past how trite and forced it all was. It felt like a way to generate revenue from an investment, not enjoyment from creativity.

I agree it's a bland corporate product. But if you're saying you thought it was ever going to be some quirky, iconoclastic artistic endeavor rather than a focus-grouped, market-tested, toy-and-lunchbox-tied, corporate entertainment product, then you're on pretty shaky ground accusing anyone else of blindness or disingenuousness.

But they had to cast a bunch of parts in this movie where everything was marketing driven, including bit parts like x-wing pilots. Somehow it would have felt more "natural" and less "forced" if they decided to hire only white guys for all of those parts? Because then you wouldn't have some "random" black and asian dudes forced in among the homogenous white dudes who more "naturally" and "realistically" represent what "real" intergalactic populations look like?

I tend not to read reviews, but I have no trouble believing that whatever reviews Ataturk read were as dumb as he suggests. Intelligent film reviews are pretty hard to come by generally, and for a movie like this the avalanche of drek would be hard to escape.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
The movie was bad. I still can't get over the fact that itis basically episode 4 all over again, except it also kills perhaps the most beloved star wars character ever.

A large, publicly traded company tried making its products the most profitable? Say it isn't so.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Star Trek Into Darkness is probably his best to date, but the rest have all been polished to the point of uninspiring. He doesn't take risks. TFA certainly took none (no, I don't think Han's fate was a risk) and typically paint-by-numbers.

The next one being done by the Looper guy restores much of my faith.

As far as diversity in movies, as movie-goers we certainly should expect story/character to come first. TFA got this backwards. Politics/social agenda demean entertainment value. There is no meritocratic reason for it.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference in making a strong female character with and without feminism. Ripley in Alien was a strong female Character. So is Leia.

This girl in Rogue One and Rey were made to look strong by putting them down or having some sort of pandering 'You go girl!" one liners. It's force fed. It's fake. And at the end of the day it's not even really what real women want to identify with. I mean the Rogue One trailer has that ridiculous kowtowing line of "I rebel" followed by her completely kicking the asses of 5 Stormtroopers in hand to hand combat. Give me a ******* break. She's like 145 lbs. And that scene where Rey kept on refusing to hold Finn's hand during the storm trooper attack. I don't think there is a woman alive on the face of this earth who would behave that way in a violent emergency. These are not real women.

They even made Leia "General Leia" because it's not PC to be a princess anymore. Have you ever met a little girl who fantasized about being a General? I sure haven't. I don't think little girls like that even exist. Just about every girl I've known went through a princess phase though. Leia being a strong female character was not enough though. Now we have to strip her of her princess title and erase slave Leia from pop culture.

Compare that to how they showed what a badass Ripley was in the Alien series who got along just fine with men and was shown to be intelligent in a way that did not force her to be put in the context of a stupid man. She's a totally believable strong woman. I've met women like her. I'm fine with a Star Wars movie that has a strong woman in it, but make it something believable. Not some feminist wet dream thought up by angry lesbians.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a huge difference in making a strong female character with and without feminism. Ripley in Alien was a strong female Character. So is Leia.

This girl in Rogue One and Rey were made to look strong by putting them down or having some sort of pandering 'You go girl!" one liners. It's force fed. It's fake. And at the end of the day it's not even really what real women want to identify with. I mean the Rogue One trailer has that ridiculous kowtowing line of "I rebel" followed by her completely kicking the asses of 5 Stormtroopers in hand to hand combat. Give me a ******* break. She's like 145 lbs. And that scene where Rey kept on refusing to hold Finn's hand during the storm trooper attack. I don't think there is a woman alive on the face of this earth who would behave that way in a violent emergency. These are not real women.

They even made Leia "General Leia" because it's not PC to be a princess anymore. Have you ever met a little girl who fantasized about being a General? I sure haven't. I don't think little girls like that even exist. Just about every girl I've known went through a princess phase though. Leia being a strong female character was not enough though. Now we have to strip her of her princess title and erase slave Leia from pop culture.

Compare that to how they showed what a badass Ripley was in the Alien series who got along just fine with men and was shown to be intelligent in a way that did not force her to be put in the context of a stupid man. She's a totally believable strong woman. I've met women like her. I'm fine with a Star Wars movie that has a strong woman in it, but make it something believable. Not some feminist wet dream thought up by angry lesbians.

Post of the year. Boom go the truth bombs.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reggs' main bone of contention about the stormtroopers is wrong too because you can clearly see a 7 foot assassin droid beating down the stormtroopers in the trailer in that clip. It's the one of the rebel team played by Alan tudyk

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I would agree that pretty much everything the movie attempts is executed in clumsy and ham-handed fashion.
But LOLOL at the notion that comic book/sci fi geeks know what "real women" are like.
I actually know several career military women who I'm sure aspire to generalhood, and lots of women who don't want some random dude with an unrequited crush holding their hand just because they're in a tense situation. My awesome girlfriend would politely decline the first time and kick you in the balls the second time you tried it. Sorry ifthat bursts your white knight fantasy, but she'd much prefer that you do something actually useful instead of going all emo on her.
My own daughter has never had an interest in the military but has talked about wanting to be an undercover cop. She's never aspired to be a princess as far as I can recall.

Last edited:

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A large, publicly traded company tried making its products the most profitable? Say it isn't so.

I didn't think I needed to explicitly say that my gripe isn't the desire for an ROI but rather the way they went about it.

But LOLOL at the notion that comic book/sci fi geeks know what "real women" are like.
I actually know several career military women who I'm sure aspire to generalhood, and lots of women who don't want some random dude with an unrequited crush holding their hand just because they're in a tense situation. My awesome girlfriend would politely decline the first time and kick you in the balls the second time you tried it. Sorry ifthat bursts your white knight fantasy, but she'd much prefer that you do something actually useful instead of going all emo on her.
My own daughter has never had an interest in the military but has talked about wanting to be an undercover cop. She's never aspired to be a princess as far as I can recall.

You're better than this.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no it's 2 out of 2 new films

ratio in military/militias isn't one to one
I don't mind films with female leads see Alien/Aliens(in fact best sci-movie ever made imo) or Terminator, or Brienne, Cercei in GoT- but they are well made not generic

I mind SJW garbage propaganda being pushed down my throat, like pushed diversity qoutas in new star wars and tiny anorextic british girls being some top fighters, somehow makes less believable characters

If you don't think there's SJW agend a getting stronger in Hollywood, watch this trailer

The ratio of the militia/military in Star Wars doesn't look one to one to me.

Back on planet Earth the ratio of women to men in militias varies a lot - for some countries it's up to 30%. I'm guessing it's increased over the past 40 years in the US?

You've got a weird view of size if you'd describe Felicity Jones as looking anorexic. Even Daisy Ridley could only be described as slim - arguably a similar build to most gymnasts.

From what I've seen of the Rogue One trailer (and none of us have seen the whole film) - the lead character's gender doesn't look that relevant to the plot. You could replace the lead with a male actor without dramatically altering the dialogue.

The Ghostbusters film's casting is interesting, although I think an all female lead cast was chosen to give the reboot some freshness rather than for any social agenda. I won't dispute the fact that there are directors and producers within Hollywood who have their own agendas, but I don't think you can argue that Hollywood as a whole is anyway pushing an image of society that reflects it's current make up, yet alone pushes for greater social equality. The Asian, Black and Hispanic population is grossly under represented compared to reality with white males heavily over represented.

If there is any agenda behind the casting of Rogue One, it's to appeal to the widest audience, rather than push a social message.

So if it's not 50/50 it's sexist?

No that's a stupid idea, who has suggested that?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads