• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

otc, how large are the files? (And PM sent.)

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the files are quite large...but that's sort of the point. Guy who made these was going for the highest quality he could.

SW is ~17gb, ESB closer to 20.

ROTJ is only 7gb, but that's because I only have the V1.0 release. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd just wait for the official 2.0 to come out since it hopefully clears up a lot of issues that were still present in 1.0.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually use this: http://getvideostream.com/

PLEX is another good option and is feature rich. Just keep in mind they paywall some of the best features.

Thank you, I'll try those out and see how it goes.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the files are quite large...but that's sort of the point. Guy who made these was going for the highest quality he could.

SW is ~17gb, ESB closer to 20.

ROTJ is only 7gb, but that's because I only have the V1.0 release. If you aren't in a hurry, I'd just wait for the official 2.0 to come out since it hopefully clears up a lot of issues that were still present in 1.0.

No real hurry, just looking forward to seeing them as I remember them from the cinema way back. Downloading the first one now - many thanks!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just used a good torrent program and downloaded them that way. Didn't have any problems and was quick enough at my broadband speeds.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Apple TV or any other decent streaming box connected to your TV it shouldn't be an issue playing the files from your PC/Mac to your HDTV without any added cost.

PLEX has an optional app for the Playstation, Xbox and new Apple TV platforms that is supposed to work extremely well, but it one of their paywall features. I've considered paying for it because I love PLEX's UI but have held off.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have none of those, using Chromecast as my only means of streaming to the TV.

HBO Nordic, Netflix and DVDs are the only thing my TV is used for. No live broadcasts and so far no downloaded content, but until Disney (are you listening?) offer the original versions on disk, I'll try to make this work...

Clark

Reaction score
Another way is to download the AVCHD version of them and burn them to a double layer DVD 9 disc to play in a Blu-Ray player. Most of the normal, modern DVD burners can burn to DVD9, so no Blu-Ray burner is needed.

The despecialized versions are great, and IMO the only way to watch the original trilogy until Disney releases them, if they do that is.

/C

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this is awesome! Got the despecialized Star Wars, tried to use the chrome extension with chromecast and VLC as explained here, but didn't get any sound. Was rather cumbersome to use too. Then tried with the Videostream as suggested by JR above and it works great.

And this version looks fantastic - just seeing the old Fox and Lucas Film logos at the start, not having the 'Episode IV A NEW HOPE' as part of the opening crawl, etc :satisfied:

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And no stupid CGI additions to take you out of your nice nostalgic trip back to the late 70s :satisfied:

Perfect timing too, as I've gotten requests from both my old mom and my GF to show them the Star Wars trilogy (though not at the same time, I'm planning...).

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally saw The Force Awakens last night.

Meh.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a release date for v. 2.0 of the the despecialized RotJ (feel free to leave a heads-up here when it's out), I stumbled across a couple of fan-edits. If Harmy's versions are the definitive way to view the original trilogy, then this must be the best way to view The Phantom Menace:

Part One

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Part Two

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Nice nod to Airplane in the beginning ('The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone...').

And here's the grindhouse version of THE WAR OF THE STARS, complete with new opening crawl, new music, blood splatter effects and subtitles for R2-D2:

Part A:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Part B:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Also uses some of the original deleted scenes - like stuff with Luke and Biggs - and new lines for Vader taken from other James Earl Jones movies.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested, here's the status of the Despecialized Editions: SW is at v2.5, TESB is at v2.0 and is RotJ is currently at v1.0.

A workprint of RotJ v2.0 was recently released, but Harmy is planning to go directly to a v2.5 for the official release, which should be in the next week or two, followed by a v2.5 of TESB to bring them all up to the same version.

And then a 1080p v3.0 for all three is next.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I remember reading quite a bit of those some years ago, though I don't think I made it to the end. It's quite clever and doubly funny if you've ever been near a D&D game or similar. The DM of the Rings that inspired it is even better (start here). A bit surprised to see that it's been nearly 10 years since I was waiting for Shamus to put out those strips about three times a week...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt you made it to the end since it seems like he is still going and halfway done with ROTJ. At that rate, it looks like he should have fresh material all of the way through the end of episode 9.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads