• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My take on this movie was that the idea was to get the pandering out of the way and to apologize for the prequels. We get it... the prequels sucked. The script sucked, the actors sucked, and the characters had no personality. You didn't need to beat us over the head with it. Let's hope Rian Johnson can be a little more subtle and isn't required to shoehorn all the O.T. characters into the storyline. Luke's obviously going to play a huge role in the next film(s) and I have no problem with that, but I hope we don't see Leia, R2D2, C3PO, and (less so) Chewie until the epilogue of Episode 9.

You'd rather stick with the marsupials they cast for this horseshit?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to see it this morning at 9am. I expect to be entertained, but feel I've pieced the movie together even without having read spoilers.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New cast were great in the film. Rey, Fin, Poe, Kylo and BB8. I honestly loved them. I've got no idea how soulless one would need to hate them all. One or two of them sure, but not them all. At some point I think you need to start questioning if you even like these types of movies.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope we get to see a lot of Chewie and Luke Skywalker in the next movie

ps. the thread made SF's main page

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like I'm the only one here, but I still think old Han worked better than expected, so he's the one I'm hoping to see most of in the next two.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ps. the thread made SF's main page

It's Fok's way of saying

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems like I'm the only one here, but I still think old Han worked better than expected, so he's the one I'm hoping to see most of in the next two.

well yeah he was great but Mark Hamill lines were a little scarce in this movie, we didn't learn much about him so I hope he will play a major part in next movie

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you're kidding with 'scarce', but I wonder if his lines from the trailer were supposed to be in the movie at one point...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wasn't perfect by any means. The biggest stand out was the soundtrack. Might have been the weakest of all the StarWars films even if it had its moments. Something about it was just a little off. Like it didn't connect as well to the moments on the screen as it did in past films. Curious my feelings on this will change in future viewing.

That's a JJ problem, not a JW problem. He's an action director that can't do action scenes.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Further thoughts.

As I've said the Starkiller base didn't work as well as it could have as presented in the film, but is it really that far of a stretch to believe they would have made it? In ROTJ it made sense that the empire would have built a 2nd Death Star because the first one worked. They blew up a planet with it. The rebellion was put into a state of panic and knew that if they didn't destroy it all was lost. It's easy to accept that the first Deathstar being destroyed would have been viewed as a fluke and something that could have been compensated for with tweaks to the design. The Death Star was a powerful tool of destruction and intimidation and its easy to believe the Emporer would have wanted another one.

The First Order in this film was trying to establish themselves and build a new Empire. The logic around the Starkiller base would have come from these desires. Building a new symbol to create fear. A larger more powerful Deathstar type super weapon would help accomplish their goals.

The problem wasn't the logic in the fact that the First Order would have built it. The problem was the execution in how it was shown in the cut of the film we saw.

Having said all this, I do doubt we will see any more moving forward. You don't have characters on screen almost getting meta about the return of a death star type weapon unless you have no plans to bring them back in the future.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's a JJ problem, not a JW problem. He's an action director that can't do action scenes.

I did think the action scenes seemed very video gamey*, but maybe that's just because I'm more attuned to it than when I saw the originals. The pacing of the first third of the movie especially reminded me cutscenes (exposition) alternating with levels (action scenes).

"Use this turret to blast the TIE Fighters!" "Oh no, the turret got knocked out! Fly the Millennium Falcon into the Star Destroyer ruins to lose them!"

I don't have a problem with the acting. Mark Hamill did come across as a whiney brat a lot in the originals, and Carrie Fisher ain't exactly Meryl Streep.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Further thoughts.

As I've said the Starkiller base didn't work as well as it could have as presented in the film, but is it really that far of a stretch to believe they would have made it? In ROTJ it made sense that the empire would have built a 2nd Death Star because the first one worked. They blew up a planet with it. The rebellion was put into a state of panic and knew that if they didn't destroy it all was lost. It's easy to accept that the first Deathstar being destroyed would have been viewed as a fluke and something that could have been compensated for with tweaks to the design. The Death Star was a powerful tool of destruction and intimidation and its easy to believe the Emporer would have wanted another one.

The First Order in this film was trying to establish themselves and build a new Empire. The logic around the Starkiller base would have come from these desires. Building a new symbol to create fear. A larger more powerful Deathstar type super weapon would help accomplish their goals.

The problem wasn't the logic in the fact that the First Order would have built it. The problem was the execution in how it was shown in the cut of the film we saw.

Having said all this, I do doubt we will see any more moving forward. You don't have characters on screen almost getting meta about the return of a death star type weapon unless you have no plans to bring them back in the future.

I might have said this in another post, but it felt to me like the whole point of this movie was to get the pandering* out of the way, apologize to the fans for how ****** the prequels were, and to bring the fun back to the franchise. I think it went overboard in all of those areas, but I get it.

Using another Death Star-type weapon being part of the pandering. (Although if you built a superweapon—let's say, theoretically, a bomb that could wipe out an entire city—wouldn't you want to build another one? Maybe a more powerful one that could wipe out a bigger city? Or how about one that could be launched from thousands of miles away? Or maybe one that could be launched from thousands of miles away and carry multiple bombs that could be individually targeted? Theoretically, of course.)

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with the acting. Mark Hamill did come across as a whiney brat a lot in the originals, and Carrie Fisher ain't exactly Meryl Streep.

I think Mark Hamill may be much better actor now, look up his voice acting of the Joker in Batman games etc

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed it

I did feel like the movie was disneyfied and more so aimed at that teenager market

I also felt like I had already watched this film in four and five. Seemed repetitive.

Really quite enjoyed everything else about it. Loved the blatant and not blatant references/Easter eggs. Loved the no dialogue scenes. Loved the casting and most of the acting. Loved the lightheartedness. I thought the writing was generally quite tight and well thought out. Denouement kinda sucked. Wished it was less black and white.

Could totally see ataturk and why hating it tho. But then again I don't recall them talking about a single thing they actually enjoyed. Generally always just hating

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did I not say that I liked the first half hour? That I liked Rey and Ren well enough that

you could make a decent sequel involving them (but they won't). Anyone who thinks Disney is finished aping the original movies has, as they, another thing coming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads