• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually missed that comment. Really?
Call me sensitive for new stuff not drastically resembling the old stuff. I actually liked Rogue One, Solo, and the Force Awakens. I do like aspects of the new shows too. They lost me after the Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker in the movies. What I do not care for is character building that does not show or give reasons for development. One cannot just become an expert in anything without working quite hard at it even if you have natural ability. You cannot just be great because you are of gender abc+-01 or the color of your skin.

For me that is where the agenda comes in. Perhaps politics is so present in everything else in life now that it is difficult to ignore things I do not agree with when watching entertainment for its own sake… entertainment.

I fully acknowledge I could be completely wrong too.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me sensitive for new stuff not drastically resembling the old stuff. I actually liked Rogue One, Solo, and the Force Awakens. They lost me after that. What I do not care for is character building that does not show or give reasons for development. One cannot just become an expert in anything without working quite hard at it even if you have natural ability. You cannot just be great because you are of gender abc+-01 or the color of your skin.

For me that is where the agenda comes in. Perhaps politics is so present in everything else in life now that it is difficult to ignore things I do not agree with when watching entertainment for its own sake… entertainment.

I don't agree with rats in kitchens but had no problems with and enjoyed Ratatouille. It required no energy, at all.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Space wizards with laser swords are totally cool and believable. The moment a woman shows herself naturally strong in the same space magic people's heads explode.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Space wizards with laser swords are totally cool and believable. The moment a woman shows herself naturally strong in the same space magic people's heads explode.
Exactly.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If she had an Obi-wan like character identifying the gift and helping to hone it early on I would have had no issue with it at all. In fact I was excited at the prospect of Rey. It was the execution for me. Ps I love the yellow saber ending.

I want little girls (like my own) to grow up having dreams and heroes to aspire to and know they can be whatever they put their minds and hard work to. It just is not handed on a platter.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sequels just had bad writing, heavily driven by new ownership. Big corporate and sci-fi are generally keen to include politically progressive themes, but I consider their inclusion incidental to the bad writing - just as Lando being a Black leader was incidental to my enjoyment of ESB.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoving it in your face, lol...

Reminds me of watching a show last week at a friend's house where they had a scene involving how black people are treated poorly in the South.
I watched the two MAGA people in the room shift uncomfortably in their chairs and mutter under their breath.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve heard these arguments a million times and they just don’t line up with what was shown on screen. By the time Rey fought Kylo in TFA he had been shot by Chewie’s crossbow-laser and fought Finn. Kylo was in bad shape and Rey was able to take advantage of that.

Rey only fights the red imperial guards in TLJ. No reason to think they could stand up to two armed force users.

Then in ROS they go out of their way to show her training. You could make the argument she had more training at that point then Luke ever did in the OT.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard these arguments a million times and they just don’t line up with what was shown on screen. By the time Rey fought Kylo in TFA he had been shot by Chewie’s crossbow laser and fought Finn. The guy was not in good shape and Rey was able to take advantage of that.

Rey only fights the red imperial guards in TLJ. No reason to think they could stand up to two armed force users.

Then in ROS they go out of their way to show her training. You could make the argument she had more training at that point then Luke ever did in the OT.
I can definitely see your points here. Perhaps it is more about the passage of time. It seems like less passed in the new trilogy vs the old.
Maybe I watch too much Star Wars content creators on youtube. Who knows!
Im rewatching the new films to get a better perspective.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm more bothered by how Padme didn't get shot at all during the closing act of episode 2. A whole bunch of lightsaber wielding jedi got mowed down, but a plucky senator with a blaster gets out pretty much unscathed? tf outta here...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One big miss the ST had was not giving Rey a double sided lightsaber by the end. In TFA she’s shown using a staff and it always felt like a natural evolution for her character.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One big miss the ST had was not giving Rey a double sided lightsaber by the end. In TFA she’s shown using a staff and it always felt like a natural evolution for her character.
100% especially since the temple guards with yellow sabers had them!

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes! Especially since "Dark Rey" had a double sided one too. Maybe they thought it'd look too similar to Bastila
BastilaKOTOR.png

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want little girls (like my own) to grow up having dreams and heroes to aspire to and know they can be whatever they put their minds and hard work to. It just is not handed on a platter.

Yeah this was a big miss for me too, though perhaps in a slightly different way. In TLJ, the story was still "Anybody can be a Jedi - even a nobody from Jakku". Then ROS re-directs it to "just kidding she was a Palpatine all along lol". Gave me flashbacks to midichlorians

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member