• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Rap & Hip Hop Thread

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
Sup Folks. Felt inclined to start this thread after having a lengthy side conversation with @vexco in the Thrift Bragging thread. It was nice talking rap with someone from a different region than me so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

The goal here is to share, learn and discuss what you feel is quality rap/hip hop. Whether it be your favorite songs, albums, artists, or artists being slept on/from your area, share whatever as long as it ain't trash. Debates encouraged just don't take it to a personal level is all i ask.

I'll start by sharing some of my shiznit.

Rap Groups: No particular order
_beastie Boys
Outkast
Wu-Tang
A Tribe Called quest
Cypress hill
Bonethugs

Solo artists:
Nas
Redman
Common
GZA
Snoop
Slim shady
hova

Tough to do; but current top Albums: (Not necessarily in order)
1. Illmatic -nas
2. Slim Shady LP -Eminem
3. Low end Theory -tribe
4 Whut Thee Album -Redman
5 Liquid Swords -GZA
6 Reasonable doubt- jay z
7 Lifestyles of the Poor & Dangerous- Big L
8 36 Chambers- WU
9 ATLiens-Outkast
10 Doggystyle- Snoop
11 resurrection- common
12 Live.Love.ASAP

Some new rappers I dig
-ASAP MOB (Rocky and Ferg mostly (Rocky needs a new album soon)
-Pro Era/ Joey Badass- 1999 is one of the best mixtapes I've ever listened to
-Kendrick lamar - going back to the basics
-Action Bronson - dude has hilarious bars
- J.Cole- Speaks truth
- 21 savage
-Playboi carti
-Waka Flocka- Hype music
-2 Chainz- Profoundly unintelligent. entertaining.
-Gucci Mane- great beats.

Taking a leap of faith that theres more people on here who like rap so share your go to tracks, rappers, albums, or don't. whatever.

One love.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grumpy old man here :fu:. I sometimes watch Action Bronson's "That's F****n' Delicious" show on Vice. I worry for his health :eek2: My rap-hip hop tastes are almost non-existent, formed long ago in the mists of the past, but I can appreciate some Run-DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Public Enemy, etc. My kidz listen to what I assume is kind of 'pop rap', although there is plenty of adult content: Ski Mask the Slump God, Kodak, Trippie Redd, Smoke Perp (I have no idea if these are spelled correctly). To tell the truth, I find most of their stuff to be bothersome noise, and cannot stand that autotune thing everyone uses.

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
Grumpy old man here :fu:. I sometimes watch Action Bronson's "That's F****n' Delicious" show on Vice. I worry for his health :eek2: My rap-hip hop tastes are almost non-existent, formed long ago in the mists of the past, but I can appreciate some Run-DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Public Enemy, etc. My kidz listen to what I assume is kind of 'pop rap', although there is plenty of adult content: Ski Mask the Slump God, Kodak, Trippie Redd, Smoke Perp (I have no idea if these are spelled correctly). To tell the truth, I find most of their stuff to be bothersome noise, and cannot stand that autotune thing everyone uses.

What's up man. Great show. that channel as a whole is pretty interesting. Action; he lives like a king (Henry VIII Comes to mind), hopefully the next spinoff show of his has some physical activity involved.

Solid OG picks there, they influenced most of the guys I put in my top 10, if they dig it i can dig it. I like Public enemy but haven't really dabbled in DMC or Sugar hill gang other than radio play type stuff.

sounds like your kids are into the current scene. Only one i know from that list is Kodak. assuming the other guys are similar tho but i'll check them out.
IMO theres a lot trash to sift through today. And mostly stuff you might put on to zone out. Throwaway rappers here for a minute then gone forever. The current state of affairs in rap is kinda sad, a select few have a unique sound/subject matter then if they catch their big break 100 other people immediately bite their style.

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
Not gonna be for everyone...but my current riff...
watch

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lil Wayne's stuff from the mid 2000's from 2006-2014'ish was pretty good. I remember listening to a lot of his stuff that he released or collaborated on during that time. I haven't kept up with him since.

Slin

Reaction score
Someone here knows Rejjie Snow, I recommend to hear his last album "Dear Annie".

We can found lot of different influence in sounds, a mix between Tyler the Creator, Theophilus London and Serge Gainsbourg ("Mon Amour"). Really really nice artist.

Last edited:

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
@Texasmade same here. He was the end all be all of rap at that time IMO. Everything he spit was gold in those days. I got bored on youtube one night and thought id see what he was up to. After doing more research I'm not sure if that album i posted is recent.

@Slin im gonna check your dude out, from what you say it sounds good.

In the mean time: here's my current riff:

IMO Redman is one of the best/most underrated rappers all time. type of guy that rappers give credit to, but listeners never check out.

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
J.Cole's KOD album is what id like to share with you guys. Unfortunately, everything on youtube seems to be a faux link-for views. IF you're on spotify/itunes highly recommend checking it out. Good to see "old heads" (early 2000's is now old head i guess, **** me right) put the new generation in their place, he gets the job done. Smooth beats, new beats, same solid J Cole flow.

The intro is reminiscent of midnight marauders by tribe. Thought provoking lyrics that will hopefully bring these Lil'/Young's up to the big table.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics