• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Fountain Pen Aficionados Thread

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HVe you visited kingdom note in tokyo? I have two of their limited edition inks they are fantastic.
I haven't. We are leaving Osaka now (just boarded), and heading to Taipei (TY Lee Pens!).
But then we will return to Tokyo before heading home, so will add it to the long list.

Any other Tokyo shops worth seeing?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't. We are leaving Osaka now (just boarded), and heading to Taipei (TY Lee Pens!).
But then we will return to Tokyo before heading home, so will add it to the long list.

Matuzen has their own link of inks, Athena, that are incredible. Eternal Blue is my one blue ink. Wish i had picked up their gray. Oh well. They apparently have their own line of pens but i never saw them

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bungubox, Itoya, Maruzen Tokyo Pen Shop Quill, Maruzen are among those I'd want to check out. Do you know about the Tokyo Station Pen podcast? It's a great podcast about pen culture in Japan, and he has a map marked with shops: https://tokyostationpens.com/fountain-pen-shops-of-japan/

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might have to chill out in Tokyo. Visited TY Lee Pens in Taipei. Since I was paying cash as an American they cut the price down and didn't charge me tax. Grabbed a MB Egyptomania Duoe w/ a Medium Nib at about 1/3 off its US pre-tax retail.
They also gave me a Diamine Earl Grey for free!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw the news that Mitsubishi Pencil (the people who make the Uni Kura Toga mechanical pencils) bought Lamy.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
State of the collection!

Im hoping to pick up a replacement barrel for the red aurora at the atlanta fountain pen show.

The squat black one is one of my dads old pens. I cant find a convertor for it anywhere. The manufacturer will be at the pen show. Hopefully they can help.

The black montblanc has a diamond in the cap.

Fun fact im not really a fan of black pens--i like color. Dad bought me the mb.

The two colorful ones are exclusives for farneys pens in dc. Black one is the 2018 (i think) cherry blossoms limited edition with the treasury department building.

Missing are a lamy demonstrator which im not going to replace and a blue visconti Rembrandt that was my favorite and a gift from my dad.
20240304_083818.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And the other state of the collection!

The three on right are kingdom note exclusives. The two in square bottles are limited editions and i think the brown on the right is too but i dont remember.

The two on the left are athena blue.

After a decade of exclusively using fountain pens, often with extensive writing, i have not finished a single bottle.
20240304_212221.jpg
20240304_212221.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone here like Lamy Deep Lilac or whatever that thing is?

I just got a few of those Acme Beatle sets - they are ballpoint/ roller but I got a fountain pen adapter.

TimothyF

Reaction score
May I ask y'all still in the hobby, how much opportunity do you get to write by hand? I can go days without. And if I need to jot down something quick I often feel wasteful to use the "good ink", and instead pick up one of the dozens of ballpoints lying around. Thank you cards are not frequent occurrences

I "returned" to my fountain pen collection 1-2 years ago, inked up my first one, planning to rotate every some weeks. I'm still on that pen; it works just fine!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do b*gger all writing by fountain pen. Writing is limited to jotting notes, which half the time is by ballpoint unless I make a conscious decision to use a FP.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do b*gger all writing by fountain pen. Writing is limited to jotting notes, which half the time is by ballpoint unless I make a conscious decision to use a FP.
For me it's signing receipts at restaurants and keeping my to do list wt work updated. I like to do some word puzzles in the newspaper with my pen. I never have ballpoints. I make a conscious effort to not have any and to always have a fp with me.

rollerkilt

Reaction score
The stubby pen, is it a Platinum?

Aurora Ipsilon - which show, Atlanta? You could get a used rollerball somewhere, but if the color doesn't match then you have a cap that doesn't go, and a rollerball section sitting around, and if color does match, at least you have a spare cap.

Black pens go with everything, ink or clothes. Solid metal trim makes things different, and urushi or maki-e would too. Oh, hard rubber too, but then colored hard rubber is more fun.

So weird that Lamy is becoming one of the foreign owned German brands, but it's not as bad as Sheaffer.

Lamy Deep Lilac Safari, or ink? I like the pen, probably like the ink.

I don't write much, but I only use ballpoints when I forgot to bring a real pen, or if one wouldn't work well on something.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The stubby pen, is it a Platinum?

Aurora Ipsilon - which show, Atlanta? You could get a used rollerball somewhere, but if the color doesn't match then you have a cap that doesn't go, and a rollerball section sitting around, and if color does match, at least you have a spare cap.

Black pens go with everything, ink or clothes. Solid metal trim makes things different, and urushi or maki-e would too. Oh, hard rubber too, but then colored hard rubber is more fun.

So weird that Lamy is becoming one of the foreign owned German brands, but it's not as bad as Sheaffer.

Lamy Deep Lilac Safari, or ink? I like the pen, probably like the ink.

I don't write much, but I only use ballpoints when I forgot to bring a real pen, or if one wouldn't work well on something.
It is a Yafa brand. Honestly it seems unwieldy but again id like to at least be able to use it.

And yes the atlanta fountain pen show. They have a party on Saturday that im.....curious about.

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
May I ask y'all still in the hobby, how much opportunity do you get to write by hand? I can go days without. And if I need to jot down something quick I often feel wasteful to use the "good ink", and instead pick up one of the dozens of ballpoints lying around. Thank you cards are not frequent occurrences

I "returned" to my fountain pen collection 1-2 years ago, inked up my first one, planning to rotate every some weeks. I'm still on that pen; it works just fine!
This is the perennial question. My pen use varies depending on what's going on in my life, but usually involves jotting notes, writing the occasional letter, and journaling. Sometimes, I transcribe a passage onto paper, mostly as a meditative experience (I like the tactile feeling of fountain pens) but it could be handwriting practice too. I know quite a few people who practice their handwriting and I should definitely join them. I also know quite a few people who sketch using fountain pens. I occasionally meet up with the local pen club. Lots of ink gets splashed on paper at those get-togethers, though it's usually from other people's pens.

A lot of people have that "saving it for the best time" attitude with stationery. In the end, I think it's better to use that ink and fancy paper. That's the whole reason we buy these things. It's not using them that would be a waste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads