• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official APRIL IN PARIS (custom leather artisan) Thread: Feedback, Pics, Reviews

Fred H.

Reaction score
That IS a beautiful case...

800x600px-LL-231486b0_AiPiphone4_1.jpeg

I won't pollute this thread with alternative suggestions, but identical design full leather cases are out there.

Not NEARLY as nice, obviously... This one is fabulous!

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Beautiful bag, DLKY. Really glad you chose Bea and I think you'll be thrilled with how her "stingray print" calf ages over time.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks! I hope to be able to commission more items from her in the future. Perhaps a briefcase.

Yes, I've got two or three potential future commissions I have in mind. One a messenger similar to yours, another a top handled brief (not an attache, but more of a porte-documents), and a portfolio/leather envelope style. There was a wonderful vintage Hermes "portable writing desk" version on ebay, which was basically an A4 sized leather portfolio with a front flap that opened to reveal a reinforced back (on which to write) and a side for pockets, pens, etc. I

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Her...5?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item2567a3e323

I'd love something like this in a slightly tweaked version (and a different color.) I'd think a contrasting outside/inside leather combo would be lovely, or maybe a bright/contrasting stitching (electric blue? Orange? etc.)

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much she charges for a leather belt in calf?

Edit: Never mind. Found it on her website.

Belts range from $425 to $2,400, depending on the material and buckles.

Does anyone have any pictures of her belts? How do they compare to other belt makers like House of Fleming?

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, I've got two or three potential future commissions I have in mind. One a messenger similar to yours, another a top handled brief (not an attache, but more of a porte-documents), and a portfolio/leather envelope style. There was a wonderful vintage Hermes "portable writing desk" version on ebay, which was basically an A4 sized leather portfolio with a front flap that opened to reveal a reinforced back (on which to write) and a side for pockets, pens, etc. I

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Her...5?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item2567a3e323

I'd love something like this in a slightly tweaked version (and a different color.) I'd think a contrasting outside/inside leather combo would be lovely, or maybe a bright/contrasting stitching (electric blue? Orange? etc.)

wow, that is a beast.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally made my way into see Bea today to look into having a customized alligator watch strap made up to replace the horribly sub-par one I wasted my money on about two years ago. This watch has seen very little wear, ( about 4 times in the last 3 years) simply due to my incredible talent in losing crowns. The watch sat unfixed for the last 8 months or so, after the last crown managed to unwind and fall off while I was at work ( mostly my fault, I felt it loosening and didn't take it off my wrist, thinking it would make it thru the day). I just got it back from having it repaired and decided it was time to act on my desire to really upgrade the band to something more suiting the vision I had for the watch. I'm a 3-4 watch kind of guy, and this is my main dress watch, but I wanted it to stand out so I opted for a navy blue band with a contrast stitch that resembled the rose gold of the dial. She gave me the lead on a good watchmaker in San Francisco who might be able to help me get the watch hands swapped out to blued ones. I'll save the original hands in case I ever want to switch it back to stock.

Here's an earlier photo that showed the dial better. The crown on it at this time was too wide, unwound and fell off. I'll have comparison shots to put up when it's finished.

The creasing on this band is quite evident. It's a cheaper highly polished type of alligator. The padding is too thick and the scales are obscured. Mind you, it's only been worn a total of 4 times, maybe a total of 36 hours, yet looks like it's very worn. The photos actually make it look better than it does in real life. Another very important detail to her work, on the strap, the holes are smaller, and closer together, greatly improving the fit. On this one, it's either a bit too tight or too loose. These are 7mm apart and there's 7 of them. On hers, I was able to go with only 5, and they are 4-5mm apart. I was tempted to just go with 3 holes, but thought it would be too limiting. I just want the beautiful scales to as unobscured as possible.

The scales on the band that will replace this one has the exact shape that I chose. I opted for a balance of small spherical scales, that have good 3 dimensional depth to them and texture, but not quite appearing like frog skin ( ugly IMO). It also will have less shine than this. Not quite matte finished, but less glossy for sure. The buttery texture of the alligator is amazing. She was able to flex and stretch the material easily. I thought it was fragile. I was wrong.

Bea is busy with the holiday rush, so it will be a while before the strap is finished, but I will update this post with before and after pictures for comparison sake. I tried to take some moderately better photo's of it this time.

I also picked up a nice simple slim wallet while I was there. Like it's been mentioned several times before in this thread, Bea is an absolute charm to work with. She still is enthusiastic about her craft, all these years later.

Trying to tweak the color temp and white balance to show the most accurate shade of deep blue.

I really like the arch on the left, making it easier to see the denomination of the bills. The thumb hole on the right makes it very easy to slide out the one debit card and drivers license I carry, trying to keep it a slim front pocket wallet.

Her non custom wallets are machine stitched. If you're laying down serious money for a custom designed piece or a luxury hide like alligator it will be hand sewn. The embossed "stingray" pattern leathers that she purchases from tanneries in France are buttery soft.

500deadlift

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I finally made my way into see Bea today to look into having a customized alligator watch strap made up to replace the horribly sub-par one I wasted my money on about two years ago. This watch has seen very little wear, ( about 4 times in the last 3 years) simply due to my incredible talent in losing crowns. The watch sat unfixed for the last 8 months or so, after the last crown managed to unwind and fall off while I was at work ( mostly my fault, I felt it loosening and didn't take it off my wrist, thinking it would make it thru the day). I just got it back from having it repaired and decided it was time to act on my desire to really upgrade the band to something more suiting the vision I had for the watch. I'm a 3-4 watch kind of guy, and this is my main dress watch, but I wanted it to stand out so I opted for a navy blue band with a contrast stitch that resembled the rose gold of the dial. She gave me the lead on a good watchmaker in San Francisco who might be able to help me get the watch hands swapped out to blued ones. I'll save the original hands in case I ever want to switch it back to stock.
Here's an earlier photo that showed the dial better. The crown on it at this time was too wide, unwound and fell off. I'll have comparison shots to put up when it's finished.

The creasing on this band is quite evident. It's a cheaper highly polished type of alligator. The padding is too thick and the scales are obscured. Mind you, it's only been worn a total of 4 times, maybe a total of 36 hours, yet looks like it's very worn. The photos actually make it look better than it does in real life. Another very important detail to her work, on the strap, the holes are smaller, and closer together, greatly improving the fit. On this one, it's either a bit too tight or too loose. These are 7mm apart and there's 7 of them. On hers, I was able to go with only 5, and they are 4-5mm apart. I was tempted to just go with 3 holes, but thought it would be too limiting. I just want the beautiful scales to as unobscured as possible.

The scales on the band that will replace this one has the exact shape that I chose. I opted for a balance of small spherical scales, that have good 3 dimensional depth to them and texture, but not quite appearing like frog skin ( ugly IMO). It also will have less shine than this. Not quite matte finished, but less glossy for sure. The buttery texture of the alligator is amazing. She was able to flex and stretch the material easily. I thought it was fragile. I was wrong.

Bea is busy with the holiday rush, so it will be a while before the strap is finished, but I will update this post with before and after pictures for comparison sake. I tried to take some moderately better photo's of it this time.
I also picked up a nice simple slim wallet while I was there. Like it's been mentioned several times before in this thread, Bea is an absolute charm to work with. She still is enthusiastic about her craft, all these years later.
Trying to tweak the color temp and white balance to show the most accurate shade of deep blue.

I really like the arch on the left, making it easier to see the denomination of the bills. The thumb hole on the right makes it very easy to slide out the one debit card and drivers license I carry, trying to keep it a slim front pocket wallet.

Her non custom wallets are machine stitched. If you're laying down serious money for a custom designed piece or a luxury hide like alligator it will be hand sewn. The embossed "stingray" pattern leathers that she purchases from tanneries in France are buttery soft.

Very nice watch and beautiful wallet :)

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not beating a dead horse with these pictures, but I'm amazed to see what a difference can be had by removing the damn UV/Polarizing filter. I never knew they crushed the blues as much. These are nearly dead on, and straight out of the camera. An idiot with expensive camera gear still turns out crappy shots.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump the thread. After seeing some absolutely beautiful rucksacks in Hermes' SS13 collection (price more than a good used Prius), I'm thinking of commissioning Bea again for a custom bag made to my specs.

Anybody in the market for a superlative bag in the $3-5k range with the time/interest/willingness to go bespoke should contact her and chat. My bespoke tote is holding up very well and even better now broken in than when new. I simply can't imagine why somebody would buy a Tom Ford/Hermes/Louis Vuitton seasonal bag in the $3k+ range without first chatting with Bea. She's a joy to work with, does great work, and will give you EXACTLY the bag you want.

Go for it.

ps the bag I'm thinking about is a personal/bespoke tweak on the following:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads