• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to go in on the Trickers X SD Shell boot in burgundy but have never tried on this last before. I'm an 11D Brannock, should the 10UK fit me fine or would I need a half size? Thanks!

I typically wear 11D US (10.5 for Alden Barrie and Trubalance) and 10UK for almost all Carmina lasts so I went with 10UK.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to orgnanize a GMTO through the shoehealer. They are raising the minimum for GMTO to 12 soon, so it will be more difficult to organize these later.

Right now I have 2 options that some people have expressed interest in.

1. Black cordovan Austerity Stow with brass eyelets, natural storm welt, black dainite, red lining.

Basically this in black shell cordovan with red lining.

http://leathersoul.com/2012/02/08/trickers-austerity-stow-lsw-lsbh/

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/tricke...ry/tricker-s-austerity-stow-black-calf-detail

2. Teak cordovan plain toe boot with brass eyelets, natural storm welt, brown dainite.

This boot with a plain toe and no pull tab.

http://imgur.com/a/c2wZt#0

If anyone is interested in either, let me know and we can get this going. We need 6 to get one going.

There are a couple interested in both, but we need a few more. Waiting on price confirmation today.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question, fellows. How much heel slippage is normal/optimal in a new pair of loafers?

These new Trickers loafers feel great, but for a bit of slip in the heel as I walk. I tried the half size lower, which my feet felt extremely cramped in. The nuance of fit seems extreme. With medium weight socks, the slippage is minimal (a bit on the right heel). But with light no-show socks, there is enough slip to peel the rear of the sock down to my heel as I walk, effectively doubling the frustration.

As my first and only pair of penny loafers, I am hoping as they loosen up the fit will wrap to my foot more. They are leather lined, but have a synthetic sole... I fear what is most likely is some stretching, followed by an adjustment trip to the cobbler.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question, fellows. How much heel slippage is normal/optimal in a new pair of loafers?

These new Trickers loafers feel great, but for a bit of slip in the heel as I walk. I tried the half size lower, which my feet felt extremely cramped in. The nuance of fit seems extreme. With medium weight socks, the slippage is minimal (a bit on the right heel). But with light no-show socks, there is enough slip to peel the rear of the sock down to my heel as I walk, effectively doubling the frustration.

As my first and only pair of penny loafers, I am hoping as they loosen up the fit will wrap to my foot more. They are leather lined, but have a synthetic sole... I fear what is most likely is some stretching, followed by an adjustment trip to the cobbler.

As you rightly recognized - the margins of error in loafer sizing is much lower than laceups and boots.
However, i suspect the heel slippage will go away after the sole breaks in.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting sizing commentary on the 2298 relative to 4497. I reordered the cipresso yoda boot in 6 width that might be ideal fit for me

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting sizing commentary on the 2298 relative to 4497. I reordered the cipresso yoda boot in 6 width that might be ideal fit for me

I had a "not-Stow" boot from STP that was on the 2298 last. It is definitely narrower and is not a good fit for my foot. I find the 4497 and 4444 to both be good for me, as well as the 4537, which is a dress shoe last.

Few comments:
I take 1/2 size difference from US to UK in 4497 (wearing a medium/thick sock)
I take 1 full size difference from US to UK in 4444
I take 1/2 size difference from US to UK in 4537 (wearing a dress sock). I have several pairs of 4537 shoes that fit great. However, my last purchase, which was from RETrickers, fit really huge for some reason. Not sure why.
The 2298 from STP was 1/2 size difference, like the 4497. I don't think I could have gone 1 full size down; I think it is just a bad fit for me.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a "not-Stow" boot from STP that was on the 2298 last. It is definitely narrower and is not a good fit for my foot. I find the 4497 and 4444 to both be good for me, as well as the 4537, which is a dress shoe last.

Few comments:
I take 1/2 size difference from US to UK in 4497 (wearing a medium/thick sock)
I take 1 full size difference from US to UK in 4444
I take 1/2 size difference from US to UK in 4537 (wearing a dress sock). I have several pairs of 4537 shoes that fit great. However, my last purchase, which was from RETrickers, fit really huge for some reason. Not sure why.
The 2298 from STP was 1/2 size difference, like the 4497. I don't think I could have gone 1 full size down; I think it is just a bad fit for me.

Crap, everything I read about 4497s was full size down and as recommended on the Context MTO page.

So do you wear the same in 4497 as Alden Barrie and Trubalance?

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crap, everything I read about 4497s was full size down and as recommended on the Context MTO page.

4497 is tough. I went one full size down compared to 1/2 size for trubalance. the 4497 is a bit shorter at 1 full size down (7), but also a bit wider than the trubalance (7.5). the 7 fits fine with thin to medium socks. I think if I went with a 7.5 in the 4497, it would be very roomy which can probably be negated with really thick socks.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, perhaps full size is right after all. I go 0.5 size down for Trubalance and it's still a wide/roomy shoe.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know for sure that you should be worried. A lot of people have said they size down one full size for 4497. I do not like my boots to be snug. Also, others have said the 2298 fits them fine, but for me it is too narrow. So depends on your particular foot.

I wear 1/2 size down from measured in my Indy boots - are those Trubalance? My 4497 are a bit roomier, but not enough to change sizes.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know for sure that you should be worried. A lot of people have said they size down one full size for 4497. I do not like my boots to be snug. Also, others have said the 2298 fits them fine, but for me it is too narrow. So depends on your particular foot.

I wear 1/2 size down from measured in my Indy boots - are those Trubalance? My 4497 are a bit roomier, but not enough to change sizes.

Ah ok great...yes 1/2 size down from Indy boots is what I ordered which seems in line with everything here. Thanks!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
trickers lasts are all kinds of fuckedidity **** on my feet. typical advice followed by my experience in bullet. tts 12d alden barrie 11.5c wear thin socks

4497 5 fit - take 1 size down from tts
  • uk11- a tad short. unusual feeling as the width has a wiggle
  • lacing closed

4444 5 fit- take 1.5 size down from tts
  • uk10.5 - snug fit, but tight instep
  • uk11 - loose all around

2298 5 fit - take 1 size down from tts
  • uk11 - feels tight across ball
  • lacing closed across lower instep/vamp however fit is tight across the ball
  • 6 fitting on its way hoping i get the an optimal fit. would be first time

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads