• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'll be travelling to London in April, and have been eyeing up a pair of the Stow boots for a while.  I'm wondering if there is a significant cost difference (in either direction) between buying the boots in the US (no VAT, but boots are coming from outside of the country) and buying the boots in London (VAT, but they're local).

Can anyone chime in on the difference (if any) in costs in each country?

Thanks.

That's one of those "it depends" questions.

Places like Pediwear or Shoe Healer take off VAT and offer free shipping and maybe free trees depending on what you buy.
If you can avoid customs/duty (try and get them to ship royal mail/parcelforce) it's easy math as to what you're saving plus you don't have to lug home some heavy ass boots in your luggage.
If they ship UPS/Fedex you're looking at a likely charge of $25-30 in brokerage fees plus around 9% duty. DHL fees are around $12.

If you buy in person as a tourist you should still be able to get the VAT refunded provided you jump through the appropriate hoops when leaving.
Try to avoid those companies which offer to process it for you as they charge a percentage of your refund.
As CTBrummie says, you also get the big advantage of being able to try them on which is a big deal if you've never tried them on before.
You may or may not get hit with customs/duty when returning. But I've never been charged with any while returning to the US even when I've gone well over the duty free allowance.
Just be sure to declare everything.

Another thing to consider is that the Jermyn Street shop is likely to have some interesting make up not available anywhere else.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone eyeing the prices of the Tricker's at STP? Are they ever under $300 anymore?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Tricker's makes the most wonderful monkey boots. Someone really should snatch that pair.

Note how messed up the facing is on the left shoe.

aram108

Reaction score
Ordered some Burnished Coffee Eaton boots from Shoe Healer on Wednesday and they arrived this morning in NYC.
That's quick!

I'm away on business until Tuesday - can't wait to try them on!

conak

Reaction score

Anyone eyeing the prices of the Tricker's at STP? Are they ever under $300 anymore?

Yeah, I got a pair of leather soled brogue boots in beechnut and a pair of daintiest soled ones in maroon, but they haven't gone under 300 for about 4-5 months.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA:

My Wardrobe has a good deal on Marron Stowes if you're a UK 10 or 11

code MENSWEAR30 knocks 30% off the price, and there's free shipping to US.

Although, it seems they're adding "Duty and customs" of about $60...

shoelad

Reaction score
Hi

I have a pair of stow in coffee, an got saphirs medium brown for them. It seems to be alrite, but I really want to darken the toe and heel, wasnt sure weather to go with dark brown, havana or Bordeaux. Can anyone that has used these colours or got a pair of trickers in coffee burnished give me a bit or advice?

thanks

shoelad

Reaction score
I have a pair of stows, in coffee, and use medium brown saphir polish on them. It seems to work alrite, but I want to darken the toe and heel and am a bit torn on what colour polish to go for, dark brown, havana or bordeaux, any advise would be very welcome!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA:

My Wardrobe has a good deal on Marron Stowes if you're a UK 10 or 11

code MENSWEAR30 knocks 30% off the price, and there's free shipping to US.

Although, it seems they're adding "Duty and customs" of about $60...

I like you a lot :D

My bank manager doesn't :eek:

MSAINT

Reaction score
I wish they had them in 6 1/2, but well, today is a good Tricker's day...

I'm wearing my Acorn Stow on Dainite and just received at my office my new Golden Tan Stow on Commando! :slayer:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish they had them in 6 1/2, but well, today is a good Tricker's day...

I'm wearing my Acorn Stow on Dainite and just received at my office my new Golden Tan Stow on Commando! :slayer:

Never anything in my size, either. :(

Nice new Tricker's coming for you!

MSAINT

Reaction score

Never anything in my size, either. :(

Nice new Tricker's coming for you!
Small feet curse too?

Yep, I'm very happy, it's been a long time since reTricker had any great 6 1/2 - 5 - 4497s boots, and they're my first pair on Commando soles (yet I still remember my last drooling: the damaged Marmalade Cordovan Stow but the flaw was too obvious and important for me).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads