• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Metrosey

Reaction score
Got these out of the old closet this morning. Bourton MTO from a uk retailer...Knutsford?

They look really similar to the ones on Division Road, considering they use reverse Kudu :)

Edit - Just noticed the Division Road one hasn’t got a pull tap, how strange.

Attachments

• 6D436160-2C08-4A16-9A02-1B522D6E2810.png
    6D436160-2C08-4A16-9A02-1B522D6E2810.png
    773 KB · Views: 89

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed on Alden, luckily the 2 prs I have, LWB from 4yrs and recent shell tanker are made well, but have seen many I would not entertain. Viberg, somewhat more consistent but I have seen some with issues I would not purchase/or would return.

I’ve heard very mixed things about Alden, I really like the look of some of their models but certainly wouldn’t pay rrp especially what they go for in UK.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly have never heard anyone describe Church’s as superior to C&J before. But I only have one pair of Church’s so hard for me to judge.

My personal experience would put them roughly on a par.

I’ve definitely seen a few Church’s models I would consider but I definitely wouldn’t pay their current rrp of around £500+

I don’t think they deserve their lack of a following on here, they actually have some very nice models assuming they’re purchased at a discount.

Cheaney’s lack of following also surprises me. I don’t own a pair but certainly find them worth considering.

I also wouldn’t say Trickers rrp is ridiculous, it’s just that I find myself thinking hold on for when the price is slashed a few months later.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly how I feel. But then, Church’s shoes are (generally) more expensive than Crockett & Jones, and I regard them as superior, but can be found at a reduced price more easily. So make of that what you will. I could be out of touch, but I get the impression that Crockett & Jones are going downhill. The way the company is gravitating more and more to ‘sleeker,’ almond toe lasts is making them less and less desirable to me.

With C&J I definitely don’t have any interest in the sleeker models but that’s just personal preference, I’m sure plenty others must like it.

emidyl

Reaction score
I’ve heard very mixed things about Alden, I really like the look of some of their models but certainly wouldn’t pay rrp especially what they go for in UK.

aside from the 2pr I currently own, the Indy or a 360degree version would be my only other consideration. Share a little tidbit, few yrs back wanted to purchase a retailer make up and almost bought them til we noticed portion of the sole wasn't even stitched on properly. How it got through is beyond me. Passed on them but really liked the makeup. Retailer also agreed about spotty QC as we inspected my shell tankers a couple mnths back. Not sure what they retail for there, but agreed are expensive

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's the thing about Alden though. The never go on sale except for closeouts or the occasional retailer discount code where they screw up and forget to exclude Alden. QC can be spotty and finishing isn't as precise as C&J, Tricker's although out of my dozens of pairs, I've only encountered one that I returned due to defect. The company itself is also bit opaque in a Willy Wonka factory way and they have a bit of take it or return it way. So if you receive a pair of rare shell you've been waiting two years for and there's a defect that can't be fixed, well you have to get back in line. They are very good about fixing and responding to things they can remedy though. There's also the game you have to play with retailers to get the rare shell makeups. It's similar to the hijinx that Rolex dealers pull for steel sports models.

Alden shell prices are creeping up. A shell Alden boot goes for around $800 in the US not includes taxes. They're still less than the major brands using Horween shell. A C&J Harlech is shell retails for about $1200 in the US not including taxes. Where it gets interesting for 'murricans is ordering that Harlech from the UK which takes the price down to under $900 and we would also avoid our local taxes. Alden closely controls their distribution and doesn't allow their retailers to ship outside North America too so brits and europeans will be paying full price at their local retailers.

But Alden really is the gold standard when it comes to shell. There's something quintessentially American about them. Especially a pair of long wings in number 8 shell or some LHS loafers also in 8.

emidyl

Reaction score
LOL turning into the Alden subforum. I'll direct back to Trickers in a sec... Alden do make a ton of shell vs other makers. I've only this 1pr of Alden shell but compared to my recent @Milohshop Roberts, Trickers shell feels a bit more substantial to me. On foot it also feels sturdier, not sure if the shell thickness is significantly different. I'm aware it isn't Horween, but the Roberts also roll a bit softer if you know what I mean. And in some pics I've seen Viberg seems to roll similarly. To teach their own I suppose when it comes to shell "wear". The Alden "rolls" are a bit crisper and did so pretty much immediately. But comfort wise, they are really incredible. As mentioned in my above posts, quality wise, this particular pr is spot on, whereas I can rest assure pretty much every pr of my Trickers is.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Prada bought Church’s from the church family and later sold the Cheaney brand name back to the church family who now run it.

I think....
I really like Cheaney, I’ve a few models and all fit excellently (relative I know). The quality is superb and they can often be found on sale.
I’ve no Church products but the ‘high fashion’ versions the release are hideous and tarnish the brand.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That reminds me. I also have a pair of made in England Prada shoes. I've always assumed they were Church's with Prada branding. They're fairly similar to a lug sole Bourton. The only Prada weirdness is a removable padded tongue thingie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads