• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
Trimmer is the main thing. I believe the sleeve lining is different and the cuffs are corduroy (Bedale has knit cuffs) which you can roll to show off (like the plaid in the women's Beadnell). The buttons on the back vents are hidden while the Bedale has them exposed. The Ashby is also a hair longer. The manufacturing was already mentioned previously. Qualitatively from my experience, the S has the chest of a 34 Bedale, the length of a size 36, and much longer sleeves (due to the rollover style).

Hope this helps.
The funny thing about this that I'm not sure is pointed out often enough: the Bedale can actually be damned slim-fitting. You just have to size it perfectly, and most of the time this is not possible when buying online. Barbour sizing goes down to 30, I believe, but most people tend to just go with their standard chest size (e.g. 36 for 36) or at most size down one step which leads to a very baggy fit. I'm typically an S-XS in everything, and I simply sized down until I had a slim fit. This meant a Bedale size 32. The fit is actually very slim, and with the liner I have to be careful what I wear underneath or it just won't fit.

Point being: don't dismiss the Bedale if what you're after is a slim/skinny fit. It's possible.

That aside yes, the Bedale has knit cuffs which I find vastly preferable in rainy conditions and the jacket is indeed on the shorter side. Some may not want this, but I like a cropped fit in most outerwear so it works out well.

dcinitial

Reaction score
The funny thing about this that I'm not sure is pointed out often enough: the Bedale can actually be damned slim-fitting. You just have to size it perfectly, and most of the time this is not possible when buying online. Barbour sizing goes down to 30, I believe, but most people tend to just go with their standard chest size (e.g. 36 for 36) or at most size down one step which leads to a very baggy fit. I'm typically an S-XS in everything, and I simply sized down until I had a slim fit. This meant a Bedale size 32. The fit is actually very slim, and with the liner I have to be careful what I wear underneath or it just won't fit.

Point being: don't dismiss the Bedale if what you're after is a slim/skinny fit. It's possible.

That aside yes, the Bedale has knit cuffs which I find vastly preferable in rainy conditions and the jacket is indeed on the shorter side. Some may not want this, but I like a cropped fit in most outerwear so it works out well.
^ This, Barbour does produce a Bedale SL model which fits slimmer and made for the Japanese market. See sig if anyone is interested in one.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sized down one size from my chest size and that is how I feel in my Beaufort with the liner. The sleeves are also a bit short and I'm a short guy. Just making an argument for buying close to your chest size.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue with going shorter on the Bedale is shorter sleeves. Some like the knit cuffs showing but I personally like a longer look. I size down from 38 to 36 and it works for me. I don't necessarily like the fitted look so extra room is fine for me.

mcnuonuo

Reaction score

I personally dislike the idea of a slim fitted bedale and went true size on it. True size Bedale will give you chances to layer and it's not baggy fitted. And it also goes to the general sizing question. I would not size down a regular fit item just to achieve a slim fit look. Somewhere is gonna go wrong, either waist, chest, or sleeve. It's never perfect.

If you want slim fit, try getting Bedale SL or Ashby. If you want regular fit, get regular Bedale.

mcnuonuo

Reaction score
The issue with going shorter on the Bedale is shorter sleeves. Some like the knit cuffs showing but I personally like a longer look. I size down from 38 to 36 and it works for me. I don't necessarily like the fitted look so extra room is fine for me.
Agreed.

Sizing down a regular fit item may achieve one need. But somewhere is gonna go wrong for sure.

I once sized down on Jcrew 770 pants to be slim, but the waist is too tight. What's the point then.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is Google's first suggestion when you type Barbour B...

0X80TAE.gif

kentpope

Reaction score
I personally dislike the idea of a slim fitted bedale and went true size on it. True size Bedale will give you chances to layer and it's not baggy fitted. And it also goes to the general sizing question. I would not size down a regular fit item just to achieve a slim fit look. Somewhere is gonna go wrong, either waist, chest, or sleeve. It's never perfect.

To each his own. My jacket size is a 36 and I sized down to a 34 for my Beaufort. Fits perfectly.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fitting question: I got an Ashby in Small and still quite unsure about how it should fit. The front and arms look pretty ok but there is plenty of room at the back. I know Barbour jackets are supposed to fit generously to allow room for layering not still not sure about the back. XS might be too small for me to put over a blazer. Besides, was lucky enough to get the Made in England one so would be a shame if I have to exchange it.

In pictures I was only wearing a shirt inside. What do you think?

terras14

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a qn about bedale and hope to get some answers. There seems to be 4 main colours for bedale namely Olive, sage, navy and black. In the Barbour official website, it seems that the Olive Green is relaxed fit while the other three is tailored fit but on other retailers website, they seems to be the same except for colour. Are there any other difference? Thanks alot in advance. Much appreciate for any answers.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a qn about bedale and hope to get some answers. There seems to be 4 main colours for bedale namely Olive, sage, navy and black. In the Barbour official website, it seems that the Olive Green is relaxed fit while the other three is tailored fit but on other retailers website, they seems to be the same except for colour. Are there any other difference? Thanks alot in advance. Much appreciate for any answers.

there's no diff

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fitting question: I got an Ashby in Small and still quite unsure about how it should fit. The front and arms look pretty ok but there is plenty of room at the back. I know Barbour jackets are supposed to fit generously to allow room for layering not still not sure about the back. XS might be too small for me to put over a blazer. Besides, was lucky enough to get the Made in England one so would be a shame if I have to exchange it.

In pictures I was only wearing a shirt inside. What do you think?

i wear mine tighter, sometimes regret it when it's really cold out and i would still like to wear it as it's hard to layer. when not layering, prefer it slimmer than yours. in either case, i don't think barbour is a perfect jacket given its limitations. it takes work to make it work, - basically you have to decide what you're going to use it for.

if you're going to use it for fall and spring (like me), then get it tighter. if you're going to wear it in winter then get it looser. if you're going to wear it to work with a suit jacket underneath, then get it looser.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The regular Bedales all fit the same.
There's a Bedale SL which is a slimmer fit than the regular Bedale. It was meant for the Japanese market and was hard to find but now seems to be fairly easy to find. Similar fit to the Ashby.
The SL has been available in the usual colors of waxed fabric plus they've done wool (windowpane check, herringbone, glen plaid) as well as lightweight unlined versions.

There's also a hooded Bedale which I think is regular fit. I've seen it in sage and yellow. Never tried it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads