• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

poena

Reaction score
I am selling a warm pile liner. I am selling it because i usually just end up wearing my other jackets in the winter and it's only been used less than a handful of times.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have three. A Beaufort which I bought 15 years ago, a Reiver from '15, and a hooded Bedale from last year. For all 3 I have liners, so I can wear them all winter (it doesn't get so cold where I live - it seldomly gets below 0 degree celsius).
I'm not wearing the Beaufort so much anymore because I prefer Barbours with hoods. But in the 15 years it has aged very nicely and I hope the same will happen with the newer ones.

Get the hood for your Beaufort then!

I only have two at the moment. A Beaufort (with the warm pile liner and hood) and Chelsea Sportsquilt. I probably would have a field coat of some type from them if I didn't have a similar Filson jacket.

i could use a liner but i have read so many mixed reviews i don't know what to think. any thoughts? anyone own that specific one?
Definitely a fan of it. I think it's a worthy buy.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a polarquilt and it works well. Can be tricky to put on the jacket sometimes but it's no big deal for me.

kentpope

Reaction score
i could use a liner but i have read so many mixed reviews i don't know what to think. any thoughts? anyone own that specific one?

I purchased the warm pile linter recently but I think I'm going to return it. It's reasonably warm and fits my Beaufort well but I live in southern California and don't think I'll really need it all that much. I already have a Polarquilt liner so that should be fine for me.

But if you live in a colder climate, I'd recommend the warm pile liner over the Polarquilt.

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
I have the pile liner for my Bedale. I'm in Northeast USA. It's absolutely fantastic and transforms the jacket from what would otherwise be a strictly fall/spring jacket to a fall-through-spring jacket. Jacket's roomy enough to layer an SNS Herning Stark or other shaggy dog sweater underneath. With the liner it's fantastically warm even in serious cold weather.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a polarquilt and it works well. Can be tricky to put on the jacket sometimes but it's no big deal for me.

Agree with poster below, if you are looking for warmth, the warm pile liner is better than the polarquilt. I used to have the polarquilt liner then gave it to a friend when I gfot teh warm piler liner.

I purchased the warm pile linter recently but I think I'm going to return it. It's reasonably warm and fits my Beaufort well but I live in southern California and don't think I'll really need it all that much. I already have a Polarquilt liner so that should be fine for me.

But if you live in a colder climate, I'd recommend the warm pile liner over the Polarquilt.

Agreed
I have the pile liner for my Bedale. I'm in Northeast USA. It's absolutely fantastic and transforms the jacket from what would otherwise be a strictly fall/spring jacket to a fall-through-spring jacket. Jacket's roomy enough to layer an SNS Herning Stark or other shaggy dog sweater underneath. With the liner it's fantastically warm even in serious cold weather. 

My only gripe with it is that my arms can get cold with the liner. Guess it depends on how you sized your outer shell, but I went a size down from my chest size and with the liner in it's a tight fit. No way I could fit a heavy sweater under it.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 waxed cotton: Border, Sapper, Shordace and BxLR Driver
1 wool: Gamefair
2 waterproof: Sapper and Markham
1 quilted: Curlew (I've owned the Liddesdale, but prefer the Lavenham and Aquascutum quilts, better cut for me) it fits better than the Liddesdale.
1 vest: Lowerdale

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what kind of winter are we talking about? i've found barbour unwearable below 45-50F unfortunately. Would be great to have something i can wear year round...

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sorry - you must be crazy. i can't imagine wearing barbour in socal, and can't imagine wearing barbour + any type of liner in socal. in my years living in socal, anything more than a hoodie or a single layer was already too much lol

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
what kind of winter are we talking about? i've found barbour unwearable below 45-50F unfortunately. Would be great to have something i can wear year round...
Northeastern US--Connecticut & New York. I've worn it as low as 25-30F. Ordinary shirt/t-shirt + cardigan/sweater + pile lined Bedale? More than adequate. Like someone pointed out, though, you should size the jacket so that you can layer. Admittedly it gets to be a tight fit when I layer with a thicker sweater like the SNS Herning Stark.

In milder weather switching up the combo works well for me, i.e. no sweater+lined Barbour; sweater+unlined Barbour, etc.

jhwendland

Reaction score
If you were still on the fence after the first four recommendations, do yourself a favor and purchase one. You'll be glad you did when winter comes around next.

kentpope

Reaction score
sorry - you must be crazy. i can't imagine wearing barbour in socal, and can't imagine wearing barbour + any type of liner in socal. in my years living in socal, anything more than a hoodie or a single layer was already too much lol

Don't be a jerk. I don't get a ton of wear out of it but there are definitely nights when it's raining and chilly and the Barbour is perfect. The polarquilt isn't used all that often except when I'm traveling.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Northeastern US--Connecticut & New York. I've worn it as low as 25-30F. Ordinary shirt/t-shirt + cardigan/sweater + pile lined Bedale? More than adequate. Like someone pointed out, though, you should size the jacket so that you can layer. Admittedly it gets to be a tight fit when I layer with a thicker sweater like the SNS Herning Stark.

In milder weather switching up the combo works well for me, i.e. no sweater+lined Barbour; sweater+unlined Barbour, etc.

ok thanks. i got in for one, very helpful!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from SoCal and although most days/early evenings you don't need it, it does get cold. Also, if you're near the beach and mountains (e.g., Malibu) then there are times you'd be comfortable wearing a waxed jacket, and maybe even a liner. I'm in NYC now so there's definitely opportunity.

In regards to the number of jackets, they significantly expanded with my last couple of purchases!
-Waxed Bedale (need to sell to size up though)
-Sylkoil ToKiTo Sports
-ToKiTo Driving... I think the color is rustic so it's Sylkoil then, right?
-Liddesdale
-Wool Glen Plaid Beaufort

I also have a quilted liner and a fleece pull-over for layering. I thought about the fleece liner although I'm not the biggest fan of the color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads