• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am interested in getting a barbour jacket, however I don't like the wax, some of my friends have waxed barbours and the wax can be tricky (can't store with other clothes, easily get mold smell in our weather, dust on wax can make nasty dirty feelings). Since I don't need the waterproof function, can I get a none-wax version somewhere(prefer sage/green or navy/blue)?

any advice is welcome!

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
Guys, I am interested in getting a barbour jacket, however I don't like the wax, some of my friends have waxed barbours and the wax can be tricky (can't store with other clothes, easily get mold smell in our weather, dust on wax can make nasty dirty feelings). Since I don't need the waterproof function, can I get a none-wax version somewhere(prefer sage/green or navy/blue)?

any advice is welcome!
I store my Barbour Bedale alongside other non-waxed jackets (leather, wool, etc.) and have had no transfer. I don't expect there to, as I allow it to dry completely if it has been worn in the rain or snow before hanging it up. I did take care to wipe it down carefully after wearing for the first month or so, but now feel comfortable that there will be no transfer. I also didn't notice any transfer during that initial month.

For non-wax, they have a range of quilted options, don't they?

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I store my Barbour Bedale alongside other non-waxed jackets (leather, wool, etc.) and have had no transfer. I don't expect there to, as I allow it to dry completely if it has been worn in the rain or snow before hanging it up. I did take care to wipe it down carefully after wearing for the first month or so, but now feel comfortable that there will be no transfer. I also didn't notice any transfer during that initial month.

For non-wax, they have a range of quilted options, don't they?
If the weather is cold enough then wax transfer will not be a problem, but in Shanghai the summer can be very hot.

as for quilted Barbours, they are not the look I wanted, I have seen some Nylon options on Japan sites but purchasing is a problem.

badeggcat

Reaction score
I use a plastic cover from the dry cleaner to prevent the wax transfer. There's mildew though, due to the humidity here. Nothing that a wipe down with diluted vinegar can't fix I guess.

Personally I feel that there's not much point in getting a Barbour if it's not a waxed jacket. Perhaps you could look at other brands that produces similar looking jackets that aren't waxed.

TomOwen

Reaction score
If the weather is cold enough then wax transfer will not be a problem, but in Shanghai the summer can be very hot.

as for quilted Barbours, they are not the look I wanted, I have seen some Nylon options on Japan sites but purchasing is a problem.
I believe Kafka has some non-waxed options for Japan. And so does SpooPoker on LuxeSwap.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, I am interested in getting a barbour jacket, however I don't like the wax, some of my friends have waxed barbours and the wax can be tricky (can't store with other clothes, easily get mold smell in our weather, dust on wax can make nasty dirty feelings). Since I don't need the waterproof function, can I get a none-wax version somewhere(prefer sage/green or navy/blue)?

any advice is welcome!

You could just get a regular waxed barbour and then wash it in a washing machine in cold water. That should remove most of the wax if not all.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a little should do the trick. After all, it's the detergent that removes the wax, not the water. Otherwise the wax wouldn't be much help against rain.
smile.gif

FYI, you will void the warranty and lose the ability to reproof your jacket if you go down this road though.
Received, thanks gentlemen!

otacon

Reaction score

FYI, you will void the warranty and lose the ability to reproof your jacket if you go down this road though.

I'm considering having my tailor do some work on my Barbour that Barbour wouldn't or simply didn't the last time I sent mine in. I'm guessing that will also make them not want to reproof it. Fairly sure there are other reproofers out there though.

Holy Man

Reaction score
I'm sure you can reproof your jacket if it's just being altered by a tailor. However, if the OP washes it in the washer with detergent, he/she would have structurally and/or chemically altered the fabric, thus losing the ability to be reprooofed again, even if done by a professional.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a "Breathable and Waterproof" Linton jacket and I believe instructions are just to wash with warm water and NOT dry?

Any thoughts on possible harm with the dryer? I assume it will just wear out the DWR, which I can re-proof later anyway.

The jacket has a little insulation and it just takes a long time for it to dry and I worry about mold on more humid days.

mcnuonuo

Reaction score
I remember people talking about it in this thread but couldn't find the exact posts:

I have Ashby and made in England and the sleeves are lined with Polyester.

Is Bedale different?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads