• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

nbianco

Reaction score
Pretty strange, just called the Barbour outlet in Kittery, ME & asked before I take the drive down there if they have the Bedale & Ashby in stock & the rep said "Sorry, we don't carry those jackets at the outlet stores anymore." I tried calling Orvis next door & they only have a few sizes in the Bedale & don't carry the Ashby. I tried asking if they could ship the Ashby jacket on their site to the store so I could try it on before buying but they don't do that. Anyone know where else I may have luck to go in person to try these jackets on before I buy them?

mistersparkle

Reaction score

What Barbour jacket is this? Thanks.

I would say an Ashby/Bedale, but the vents seem kind of short and the pocket doesn't look like their typical large cargo pocket. And there's a button on the cuff. So I'd say it's not one of the classic Barbours and maybe not even a Barbour at all.

Do you have any better photos, or is this another one of those paparazzi shots of some famous dude?

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
Pretty strange, just called the Barbour outlet in Kittery, ME & asked before I take the drive down there if they have the Bedale & Ashby in stock & the rep said "Sorry, we don't carry those jackets at the outlet stores anymore." I tried calling Orvis next door & they only have a few sizes in the Bedale & don't carry the Ashby. I tried asking if they could ship the Ashby jacket on their site to the store so I could try it on before buying but they don't do that. Anyone know where else I may have luck to go in person to try these jackets on before I buy them?
Those models are pretty tough to find at the outlet, especially in average person sizes. When I was last there in August, I picked up the "washed" Ashby, which they had quite a few of.

I'll also add that the Bedale and Beaufort are definitely the iconic models of the country styles. The Ashby is most definitely not the same thing as the Bedale, though they are fairly similar. In addition to the differences others have mentioned, I'll also note that the Ashby is NOT made in England, whereas the Bedale is, for those to whom that matters (like me).

nbianco

Reaction score
Those models are pretty tough to find at the outlet, especially in average person sizes. When I was last there in August, I picked up the "washed" Ashby, which they had quite a few of.

I'll also add that the Bedale and Beaufort are definitely the iconic models of the country styles. The Ashby is most definitely not the same thing as the Bedale, though they are fairly similar. In addition to the differences others have mentioned, I'll also note that the Ashby is NOT made in England, whereas the Bedale is, for those to whom that matters (like me).
Yeah, it doesn't matter all that much to me if the jacket is made in the UK or not. I just want a Barbour jacket that fits me well. Since no one near me sells these jackets, I basically wung it and picked up this Ashby online from END in a size small. Quick question though, it isn't that "shiny" in person, right?

http://www.endclothing.com/us/barbo...DwTilaUDaOOixGpIJcv-_I3NRYffST6lGYRoCIyvw_wcB

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
I've definitely never seen a Barbour jacket look that shiny in person. They start out with a sheen to them, but not glossy like how that photo looks.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The lighter weight waxed cotton ones have a pretty shiney look. I'm sure it eventually goes away but it lasts a long time.

I don't think that Ashby is lightweight though.

nbianco

Reaction score
The lighter weight waxed cotton ones have a pretty shiney look. I'm sure it eventually goes away but it lasts a long time.

I don't think that Ashby is lightweight though.
Good to know, thanks! Does anyone have fit pictures of what the Ashby actually looks like? Searching online and I only can find these awkward model pictures.

If it looks anything like this I'll be happy - http://www.itsinyourjeans.co.uk/assets/brands/Barbour/POS_Images/AshbyMWX0339.jpg

P.S. Is this an Ashby from pinterest? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ab/64/c3/ab64c38624a4a47b806862c1507c682e.jpg

Last edited:

Junglejack

Reaction score

Excellent points. If you notice both the Bedale and Beaufort use much higher quality zippers and hardware that is not even seen on Barbours costing hundreds more that are made in Bulgaria, Vietnam, et al.

A couple months back I actually returned to Orvis the Kinneff ($650 MSRP) and exchanged it for the Classic Beaufort along with a hood and the difference in quality was not subtle. While my Bedale's build quality is identical to the Beaufort, walking into Orvis with the Kinneff and walking out the the Beaufort made a huge impression on me. And to think the Beaufort retails for almost $300 less!

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks! Does anyone have fit pictures of what the Ashby actually looks like? Searching online and I only can find these awkward model pictures.

If it looks anything like this I'll be happy - http://www.itsinyourjeans.co.uk/assets/brands/Barbour/POS_Images/AshbyMWX0339.jpg

P.S. Is this an Ashby from pinterest? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ab/64/c3/ab64c38624a4a47b806862c1507c682e.jpg

That photo on Pinterest is a Bedale. The hardware (snaps, zipper) gives it away. They're much nicer on the Bedale compared to the Ashby.

Last edited:

nbianco

Reaction score
Just got the Ashby in the mail today from END (INSANELY fast shipping by the way). Camera lens is a bit busted so the focus is horrendous, but I'm just curious on how the fit is?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I would say an Ashby/Bedale, but the vents seem kind of short and the pocket doesn't look like their typical large cargo pocket. And there's a button on the cuff. So I'd say it's not one of the classic Barbours and maybe not even a Barbour at all.

Do you have any better photos, or is this another one of those paparazzi shots of some famous dude?

He's Beckham. I read from this blog the jacket in question may be Digby. Can anyone confirm?

http://wearitlikebeckham.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

damn_hammer

Reaction score

I found Chicago Lincoln store has them. The downtown store also has a few.
I wear Xs in Ashby and have a 36 chest but somehow I found Dept B's smallest size too tight for me.(don't remember if it was an XS or an S)

It's very fitted.

Thanks! Ordered a DeptB Commander from the Lincoln store. They were great to work with ordering by phone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads