• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all, I'm a southern Californian whose going over to Scotland for a year. I was considering getting a Barbour as an all purpose foul weather jacket. Are there any particular models I should consider and particular shops I should consider buying them at?  

In terms of coping with foul weather they'll all do a good job. Obviously the longer the coat the more you'll be protected. On the classic side of things the Beaufort or shorter Bedale are great coats, but there are plenty of other options. Over here there's little advantage in shopping around for a Barbour if you're going for one of the classic models as they tend to be priced the same most places. You can get good deals on the more fashion oriented models though.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been able to wear the Barras and St. Kildas this Spring. Very pleased with them as Spring jackets as well. Had one of the latter on today in some rain and it held up really well, as expected.

fishtacologin

Reaction score
Any ideas on how I can get a Barbour Commander in size XS in CA? The only one I've seen is from this eBay auction. I know it exists because I've had someone from Barbour confirm it for me, but it doesn't look like it's a regularly carried size.

dreamsburndown

Reaction score
I received purchased a durham, and have given it as much wear as I can. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and actually at times hoping for rain when I walk my dog. The build in hood is a great part of the coat, and even in heavy wind and rainfall it has stayed in place, kept me dry. I've worn it anyone from 1 to 2 Celsius and rain with a sweatshirt underneath, to 10-15 Celsius and still felt comfortable.

In terms of fit/size comparison to the Bedale, I can't give a direct comparison, as I've only tried on the beaufort. Based on measurements from Barbour's site however, the bedale and beaufort have similar chest, shoulder, back and sleeve length. The Bedale's back length is shorter however. The Durham's chest, and shoulder especially feels pretty close the beaufort, it is certainly quite a bit longer than the beaufort. It is I believe 4oz, and the bedale/beaufort are 6oz weight. The sleeves aren't overly wide, and you can cuff them to show the tartan lining, which kind of makes them narrow just a bit. It also has drawstrings to tighten the mid-section, which allow for a slightly snugger fit, but it still fits like a Barbour is meant to fit. It has a back vent than is fastened by two buttons, I guess it could come in handy for maneuvering around if your hunting or something. The shoulder cape just adds an extra barrier to block rain, I kind like the look, and it isn't something you see on a coat very often. To me, it looks exceedingly British. I love the jacket, and don't regret opting for it over a beaufort.

Thanks for the info. I see a lot of used Durham's on eBay but I'm not sure how to spot ones that aren't legit.

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I see a lot of used Durham's on eBay but I'm not sure how to spot ones that aren't legit.

There's some indicators. The circular zipper tab always has a small dot on the top part. You could look for inconsistencies in the plaid. Sloppy stitching, compare drawstrings to the legit ones on the barbour site. That being said, it's hard and I even had questions initially about the jacket I had ordered off eBay. It looked really legit based on the photos, I was probably over analyzing it, and turned out to be a perfect purchase. As noted when I made the inquiry here, the Durham isn't one of the more faked Barbour's. Plus, if it's a used item you're probably even more likely to get a legitimate one, as I'm sure the fake ones don't hold up as well. Do you diligence though, check the sellers feedback, ask them a ton of questions.

Good luck tho, you'll love the jacket. It's minus 2 and flurries in Toronto today, and I ventured out with for about half an hour into the ravine. It was a bit cold with a light fleece sweater underneath, but bearable. Probably my most versatile item.

dreamsburndown

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'm always paranoid about counterfeits. It's flurries with a cold wind in Edmonton too. I was just out in my Bedale over top a heavy wool turtleneck and it was perfect except that I'd really love a hood.

Qudi

Reaction score
just stumbled upon the barbour x pantone quilts when i was about to buy a chelsea. anyone got an idea of how they fit or seen any fit pics? cant find any other than the ones on end.

Last edited:

Andrew Viny

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a 9665 Steve McQueen jacket in a small. I found it to be a hair tight in the shoulders and chest (I feel like that sort of jacket should be more easy going). I returned it and replaced it with an Ashby (also in a small). It's absolutely shocking how much larger it is. It's quite long and although it seems to fit reasonably well in the shoulders, it's terribly baggy in the chest. I'm wondering if perhaps the bedale would perhaps be a better fit? I'm somewhat confounded by the difference in the two jackets of the same size, especially because the 9665 is supposed to be a regular cut and the Ashby, a slim.

My measurements are:
Height: 5'6"
Chest: somewhere between a 36 and 38 US (though closer to a 36)
Pant: 30/30

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just stumbled upon the barbour x pantone quilts when i was about to buy a chelsea. anyone got an idea of how they fit or seen any fit pics? cant find any other than the ones on end.

Slightly looser than the Chelsea (IMO the cut isn't as good).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I got the Pantone quilted one size larger than the classic Liddesdale. The Pantone one fits slimmer than the one size down Liddesdale but it's not what you'd call a real slim fit.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by Barbour Kittery yesterday. Still a good selection of Norton & Sons jackets and knits. They had 2-3 very heavy N&S sweaters and I made note of the following jackets.

N&S Barra Sand & Navy $449
N&S St. Kilda olive $599
Dept. B Dragh navy $249
Dept B Field Hoodie cotton knit in navy & green $149
Dept. B Shordace in navy $649

They usually have a sale Memorial day.

pvoytko

Reaction score
heading to kittery saturday for the first time, can't wait

hoping they might have a red tag commander or a international flyer

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Stopped by Barbour Kittery yesterday. Still a good selection of Norton & Sons jackets and knits. They had 2-3 very heavy N&S sweaters and I made note of the following jackets.

N&S Barra Sand & Navy $449
N&S St. Kilda olive $599
Dept. B Dragh navy $249
Dept B Field Hoodie cotton knit in navy & green $149
Dept. B Shordace in navy $649

They usually have a sale Memorial day.

Those are some awesome pieces right there. That Dragh looks like it would make for an interesting piece of outwear. I assume this place only does in store sales? Have you seen any commanders there? Is there any way they would ship something to me?

I've been thinking about picking up a commander later this year, but don't want to order from END because I don't want to play the guessing game with customs (I live in Canada too, which is usually worse for that stuff). I also don't want to stomach the full $775+ price tag I find at most Canadian retailers. Club Monaco has one, but only in Navy, and I'm only interested in Olive.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention, picked up a Barbour x Norton and Sons "coleman" rollneck jumper from END as part of their spring sale. Came to $110 USD shipped to Canada, If I recall correctly. Just came today. Its an awesome knit. Really long though. I'm 6'4, and I ordered a size L, and its even long on me. So just a word of warning to anyone shorter. Its a great sweater though, awesome weight and color (got it in creme, would have loved to have gotten the peat color too, but it was sold out by the time I ordered) to it. Well worth what I paid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads