• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Reaction score
My usual uniform. This is a second hand c38 made in England A7 international. I also have a desert brown c38 A7 (country attire exclusive) of which I have lost the belt and another one black c42 A7. I intend to only keep this, as it is made in England and sell the other two, despite the beautiful patina the brown has acquired. I'll post pictures of my brown one soon enough
IMG_20231226_134626.jpg

SharpMan

Reaction score
For me it's just easier in winter to keep a liner zipped in and it adds nice bulk to the jacket. It's really just a convenience thing and one less thing I have to remember when rushing out the door. I like the zip liner but concede that you certainly can wear layers instead.
Sorry to pull this one back, but brought up a thought for me. I think there is an argument for both layering, and also these zip in liners but it depends on the activity and the jacket. If you are climbing a mountain, a zip in lined jacket will (in my experience) be more practical. If you are walking in the woods, across moorland, general getting the garden ready for winter (or spring, at the other end!) then a Barbour would be a far more practical choice - and the Barbour suits layers (again, in my experience) better. We had a pretty cold winter here a few years back, and I was plenty warm enough in a (thickish) cotton shirt and chunky lambswool sweater (nice grey cable knit job from M&S, purchased to 'get by' as I was passing a store but was so good I ended up using it for years - shame on them for dropping the line) under an 'unlined' Barbour Beaufort.

Though I would spoil myself by having a nice flask to tea and cheeky biscuit waiting for me back at the car, though I do remember several occasions where I would be looking for a rich tea and instead find myself instead finding a couple of rather happy, smug looking dogs....

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My well faded A7 MIE international. It desperately needs rewaxing but I can't find the wax dressing locally to me which is a bummer
View attachment 2106137

Could just order it? Surely there's somewhere that has it. But failing the Barbour wax, any wax suitable for a jacket like this works.

Reaction score
I will order it eventually, as I can't find it here in Munich locally, but I wanted to find a store that has, you know, the culture of Barbour and get the wax from there. There is a department store but they don't stock it.
It gets tiring having to order everything from somewhere else and paying shipping for each and every small item and piece.
Funnily enough, I had managed to get the wax (for a different A7) cheaper in Greece, my country.

Edit; I have found it at Hirmer, they seem to have restocked, but it won't let me to opt for the in store pickup 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Anyone have a Barbour Transport? I wanted to order one from Japan, just wanted to confirm whether I should go TTS or down one size.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a Barbour Transport? I wanted to order one from Japan, just wanted to confirm whether I should go TTS or down one size.
It appears that there are both 'old' and 'new' versions of Barbour Transport, each distinct from the other based on images I found on the Internet.

I own the 'old' model, a 6 oz waxed jacket made in England. It closely resembles the cut and proportions of a Bedale, and it fits true to size (TTS). On the other hand, the 'new' Transport model seems to be a shorter iteration of the original. I assume it is TTS for the Japanese body build.

The "old" Transport:

6c49c91679a1002c0ea106e7bafdc484.jpg

01-D5-CC1-D-067-D-4-F0-B-B825-C2-B6-EF4-CC649.jpg

The "new" Transport:

17037b2.jpg

71y0j5uDWyL._AC_UX522_.jpg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears that there are both 'old' and 'new' versions of Barbour Transport, each distinct from the other based on images I found on the Internet.

I own the 'old' model, a 6 oz waxed jacket made in England. It closely resembles the cut and proportions of a Bedale, and it fits true to size (TTS). On the other hand, the 'new' Transport model seems to be a shorter iteration of the original. I assume it is TTS for the Japanese body build.

The "old" Transport:

6c49c91679a1002c0ea106e7bafdc484.jpg

01-D5-CC1-D-067-D-4-F0-B-B825-C2-B6-EF4-CC649.jpg

The "new" Transport:

17037b2.jpg

71y0j5uDWyL._AC_UX522_.jpg

you're mistaken as your transport is the newer one. The 'new' Transport... this is my 1990s Transport which this new release is based on.

img_4846.jpg

alps

Reaction score
I will order it eventually, as I can't find it here in Munich locally, but I wanted to find a store that has, you know, the culture of Barbour and get the wax from there. There is a department store but they don't stock it.
It gets tiring having to order everything from somewhere else and paying shipping for each and every small item and piece.
Funnily enough, I had managed to get the wax (for a different A7) cheaper in Greece, my country.

Edit; I have found it at Hirmer, they seem to have restocked, but it won't let me to opt for the in store pickup 🤦‍♂️
I live south of Munich and although finding original Barbour wax might be kinda hard, I've bought different kinds of cotton wax multiple times and used it on my Barbour and Manifattura Ceccarelli jackets. Check out Globetrotter or Sport Schuster in Munich downtown, they carry Fjällraven and their Greenland wax, you can also get Nikwax Wax Cotton Proof there (my favourite, since it's spray-on). Manufactum had Collonil Wachs and you can also ask in any bigger hunting store like Frankonia in Aschheim.
All of them worked fine and are more easily to apply than the original from Barbour.

Reaction score
I live south of Munich and although finding original Barbour wax might be kinda hard, I've bought different kinds of cotton wax multiple times and used it on my Barbour and Manifattura Ceccarelli jackets. Check out Globetrotter or Sport Schuster in Munich downtown, they carry Fjällraven and their Greenland wax, you can also get Nikwax Wax Cotton Proof there (my favourite, since it's spray-on). Manufactum had Collonil Wachs and you can also ask in any bigger hunting store like Frankonia in Aschheim.
All of them worked fine and are more easily to apply than the original from Barbour.
Thank you very much for the insight. Luckily I found the wax on Hirmer after all, but I may check the shops you suggest as well

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
A question on possible decline in quality here.

I bought a thornproof Barbour Derwent in 2010 - a parka of sorts - and it's been a favorite from day one. Excellent quality and finish. For last years fall though I felt I wanted something with a collar and went for a Beaufort in sylkoil. I was aware of the difference between sylkoil and thornproof, so no surprises there. But the seam work was surprisingly sloppy compared to my old Barbour (flawless in that aspect). A loose thread here and there, and a spot where it had come undone at the hem. Sent it back for a new one. The new one was better, but there were still a few of these little beauty flaws. And just a week ago, I noticed a small stretch of stitches on the collar's edge had come undone and some previously unnoticed sloppy coverup stitching. I wasn't in the mood to make a fuss though - would probably be fruitless anyway since months have passed - so I fixed it myself. Also, the lining in the new Beaufort feels thinner and less cozy. Still, a fine jacket. But damn, if money and time is of such essence, charge a little more and take your time making those SERIOUSLY great jackets. I'd prefer that, and I would stomach a price bump.

Is this something that has happened over time, or is there a specific year when it took a change for the (just slightly) worse?

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Where was it made?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads