• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have just received the 40th Anniversary Beaufort and overall I'm a little disappointed. I should note that I also own the Barbour x Margaret Howell A7 in Olive Lightweight Wax – there are a few things about the A7 that made me want to also own a Beaufort. The A7 does not have any hand warmer pockets, although the pockets it does have could be used if you'd forgot to bring your gloves. The other thing is it doesn't have a hem adjustor so fits wide around waist. My Lightweight Beaufort does have a hem adjustor – I wasn't aware that the Beaufort no longer features a hem adjustor and there are some other features they've changed…

The colour of the olive on the 40th is darker than my A7, the olive colour on my A7 looks green but the Beaufort looks more like a dark brown. The collar is also a darker shade of brown. I think I prefer the olive green used on the A7. If I end up purchasing a classic Beaufort I'll probably pass on the Olive(Brown) and look at the Sage or Navy. I thought the brass studs would not bother me but I'm not crazy about them. The nylon lined sleeves are not so nice, the sleeves are shorter than my Lightweight Beaufort and the internal velcro used for the cuffs is a bit rubbish. My Lightweight Beaufort uses poppers at the internal cuff which work much better; my A7 has a ribbed storm cuff. The finishing of the tartan lining is subpar.

I had some misgivings about my A7 but on balance it's a better garment than the 40th (it even came with a really good quality detachable hood). I'll stick with that for now maybe look to pick-up a vintage Beaufort in the future! 40th will be going back.

IMG_0828.jpg

Looks quite green in photo but shade is darker brown in person.

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the finishing is poor. I'll pass that over in hopes it gets seen to.

A normal Beaufort never had waist suppression or a hem adjuster though.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the finishing is poor. I'll pass that over in hopes it gets seen to.

A normal Beaufort never had waist suppression or a hem adjuster though.
It'll be up to the store whether they return it to Barbour, I will mention it on the returns note.

My Lightweight Beaufort doesn't have waist suppression but does have a hem adjustor, I'd assumed that this was standard but I stand corrected.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be up to the store whether they return it to Barbour, I will mention it on the returns note.

My Lightweight Beaufort doesn't have waist suppression but does have a hem adjustor, I'd assumed that this was standard but I stand corrected.

Just for the lightweight, yep. Regular Beauforts don't.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Have just received the 40th Anniversary Beaufort and overall I'm a little disappointed. I should note that I also own the Barbour x Margaret Howell A7 in Olive Lightweight Wax – there are a few things about the A7 that made me want to also own a Beaufort. The A7 does not have any hand warmer pockets, although the pockets it does have could be used if you'd forgot to bring your gloves. The other thing is it doesn't have a hem adjustor so fits wide around waist. My Lightweight Beaufort does have a hem adjustor – I wasn't aware that the Beaufort no longer features a hem adjustor and there are some other features they've changed…

The colour of the olive on the 40th is darker than my A7, the olive colour on my A7 looks green but the Beaufort looks more like a dark brown. The collar is also a darker shade of brown. I think I prefer the olive green used on the A7. If I end up purchasing a classic Beaufort I'll probably pass on the Olive(Brown) and look at the Sage or Navy. I thought the brass studs would not bother me but I'm not crazy about them. The nylon lined sleeves are not so nice, the sleeves are shorter than my Lightweight Beaufort and the internal velcro used for the cuffs is a bit rubbish. My Lightweight Beaufort uses poppers at the internal cuff which work much better; my A7 has a ribbed storm cuff. The finishing of the tartan lining is subpar.

I had some misgivings about my A7 but on balance it's a better garment than the 40th (it even came with a really good quality detachable hood). I'll stick with that for now maybe look to pick-up a vintage Beaufort in the future! 40th will be going back.

View attachment 2056027
So far i've seen nothing but bad things about this jacket!

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I just rewaxed my sylkoil Beaufort for the first time last week and picked up a liner for it, it's such a charming coat! Also got a Beadnell for my partner

jdemotion

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Switching over my closet now that it's full on winter here in Utah and dug out my A130 Spey. I love the darning repairs done by the previous owner. Also a big fan of the fit, lots of ways to layer with higher rise pants.
IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow that is mega.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 2056027

I have a near-new vintage sage Beaufort in size 40 that I’m looking to sell (or trade for a medium Beacon), fwiw.

Gomers

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of having Sleeve lining changed from nylon to cotton ?

I have the Barbour Ashby which has nylon lining which makes me sweat. I have been quoted £35 from Barbour to change it to cotton tartan. So hoping that would solve my problem.

Am thinking of cutting some small holes in the nylon lining to see if that works.
Hi there, wondering if you got this done and whether you were happy with the result ?

vim147

Reaction score
Not
Hi there, wondering if you got this done and whether you were happy with the result ?
Not had it done yet. I got a feeling it won't make any difference.
I cut some holes in the inner sleeve lining but that hasn't made any difference. Seems like the backside of the outer canvas has nylon lined to it.

Gomers

Reaction score
Not

Not had it done yet. I got a feeling it won't make any difference.
I cut some holes in the inner sleeve lining but that hasn't made any difference. Seems like the backside of the outer canvas has nylon lined to it.
No worries. I bought an Ashby yesterday and asked the question whether they were still doing it. I was told they were but there's an 8-10 week backlog for repairs at the moment.

Went out with the dog this morning for a 6km walk wearing a T-shirt and was pretty clammy when I got back. I like the jacket but will definitely be looking to get that lining swapped out. Daft choice of lining in the first place.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with FENMOOR clothing? They make Barbour copies including a Beaufort style jacket which can be found on eBay for £45. Maybe that's blasphemy to mention their name here, just interested if anyone has actually handled one of their jackets in person and can comment on the quality etc.?

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with FENMOOR clothing? They make Barbour copies including a Beaufort style jacket which can be found on eBay for £45. Maybe that's blasphemy to mention their name here, just interested if anyone has actually handled one of their jackets in person and can comment on the quality etc.?
Blasphemy of the highest order. I believe penny’s or primark do a Barbour style jacket too.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kakadok