• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I learned there’s a “heritage” version of the Liddesdale. Only shop with them is a macys or Nordstrom nearby. Need to go check it out again.
Heritage means it’s a trimmer cut.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a Barbour Beadnell for my daughter this year and got a Bedale for my son a few years ago. Thinking of one for myself but trying to clear up what the different models are.

Am I correct here? @Purplelabel

Bedale - classic "standard issue" Barbour right out of Central Casting.

Beaufort - a long Bedale but basically the same.

Ashby - a tailored version that folks here seem to sneer at.

Here's a decent article with maybe more info than you require:

One more with more specifics about models:

Personally, I prefer the Beaufort over Bedale due to its just slightly longer length, can double as raincoat over a sportcoat in a pinch. I think either Bedale or Beaufort could qualify as: "right out of Central Casting"

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a decent article with maybe more info than you require:

One more with more specifics about models:

Personally, I prefer the Beaufort over Bedale due to its just slightly longer length, can double as raincoat over a sportcoat in a pinch. I think either Bedale or Beaufort could qualify as: "right out of Central Casting"
Thanks! I think the Beaufort would work best for me. I'll try that and the Bedale on next time I'm at their Georgetown store or the Orvis store here in Arlington. Although, I always ask myself "do I really need more olive green outerwear?" I have a Barbour Challenger already.

1637603169251.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I searched Google for the Challenger pic above this site popped up as an option. Says it's in Pennsylvania but seems way to good to be true. No way Barbour could be so cheap. Pirated?

EDIT: After looking through it the site has SCAM written al over it.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think the Beaufort would work best for me. I'll try that and the Bedale on next time I'm at their Georgetown store or the Orvis store here in Arlington. Although, I always ask myself "do I really need more olive green outerwear?" I have a Barbour Challenger already.

View attachment 1708079

Is the challenger waxed cotton? If so, then yes, a Beaufort is redundant. If anything other than waxed cotton, then not redundant, regardless of color.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the challenger waxed cotton? If so, then yes, a Beaufort is redundant. If anything other than waxed cotton, then not redundant, regardless of color.
Challenger is wool/poly blend with a Gore Tex-like layer for breathability. Works best in cold weather.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1708079
Challenger is wool/poly blend with a Gore Tex-like layer for breathability. Works best in cold weather.

My personal opinion, a waxed cotton Barbour will make a nice addition to your wardrobe. The challenger, and Beaufort are different enough.

Jomjom

Reaction score
I am annoyed by my Beaufort's short sleeves.
Sending it to South Shields to replace the sleeves for longer ones is not an option: Too expensive.

Does anyone have an idea how to lengthen the sleeves?
At first I was thinking of sewing on corduroy cuffs (from old trousers), but then it would be all soggy when it rains.

ac106

Reaction score
I suspect this orange fisherman sweater is a Barbour but I can't find it so perhaps it's vintage... anyone come across it?

Shteve

Reaction score
Some time ago I began looking at Barbour wax jackets but as I was saving up to buy a flat I never splashed the cash. Now I have the money to spend I decided to start trying a few on with my intention being to buy a Beaufort.

So I tried on a 38 chest Beaufort (original thornproof in sage, though I'd prefer to go sylkoil olive), just to see how it fit. My disappointment was not with sleeve length but the finish to the cuffs. If anything I could possibly have sized down to a 36 but they didn't have one to try. I found the cuffs uncomfortably scratchy against my hands. I found this quite bizarre for a coat that otherwise looked like the dog's danglers. I've previously tried on a Bedale and an Ashby which have really comfortable cuffs. I tried on a Bristol too, but the trade off is: no game pocket, polyester sleeves, pocket buttons are hidden (not visible like they are on the Beaufort).

Now because I like the length of the Beaufort I'm left to ponder over buying a Beaufort and having the cuffs fitted with a leather trim, or buying a Bristol and having the polyester sleeves removed. Have any Beaufort owners found the edge of their cuffs to feel a bit rough or did I just have bad luck with the one I tried?

Update: I've just seen that it's only £15 to have cuffs bound with a trim! I'm leaning towards the Beaufort. Stick it out for 8 months with scratchy cuffs and then get them bound when I send it for a rewax ?

On another note: Interestingly the Barbour UK site specifies that knitted windcuffs can only be replaced on jackets that already have them fitted and that they cannot be fitted to jackets that don't already have them. I wonder if they make an exception for fitting the knitted ones to a Beaufort on account of there already being a windcuff of some sort present to attach them to ?

Last edited:

Shteve

Reaction score
I am annoyed by my Beaufort's short sleeves.
Sending it to South Shields to replace the sleeves for longer ones is not an option: Too expensive.

Does anyone have an idea how to lengthen the sleeves?
At first I was thinking of sewing on corduroy cuffs (from old trousers), but then it would be all soggy when it rains.

I can see £40 is now quoted for sleeve lengthening to be done by Barbour, which I think is a reasonable price to pay to have it done by someone who's going to do a good job. I can imagine that postage there is going to be pricey because of the weight of the jacket but when you've paid out £200+ for an item of clothing that's built to last many years it would be a shame to potentially ruin it with a DIY attempt. Perhaps save up some money gradually over a period of time so it doesn't feel like such a big hit.

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could just send it to Mallin & Son. Cheaper and better.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the White Label (Mr. Porter) cut different from the mainline?

I bought a White Label from Mr. Porter and I find the armholes a bit restrictive.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the White Label (Mr. Porter) cut different from the mainline?

I bought a White Label from Mr. Porter and I find the armholes a bit restrictive.
White label is made for the Japanese market.

bzh689

Reaction score
My question might seem common and even odd but could you please clarify what is the difference between Beaufort and Classic Beaufort jackets? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads