• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
I've been considering the Navy Hunt Boot for about a year now but just can't seem to pull the trigger on them. I have Alden Indys for my brown/reddish pair, Wolverine 1K for my black and was looking to break the standard a bit and add a pair in navy. It's been surprisingly hard to find reviews about them and without being able to try them on, I guess the decision is taking into account the longevity and fit over style. On top of that, when I see them in the marketplace, they tend to be new and at a severe discount. Does anyone have the Navy Hunt Boots and if so, how long have you had them and what are your impressions? Thanks!
I had the Navy hunt boots for about a year. Loved them at first as they fit very nice and just looked great, however over time they stretched to the point where they were unwearable and would hurt my Achilles if i spend a reasonable amount of time in them. That and the shaft stretched to the point where each end was touching when they were laced up. Boots still looked great but they just became extremely roomy. If anything I'd say go a half size down from your trench boot size

anotheraccount

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with them. I read elsewhere that they stretched to the point of being un-wearable after a year. I'll probably pass on them as I'm trying to get 4-5 years out of them. Thanks!

Dirty Gurty

Reaction score
Hey gang, a couple of questions if anyone has any help to offer I'd appreciate it:

1) Does anyone know any stores (besides Gentry NYC) who carry the Black Captoe Trench Boot with Danite Sole?
2) How do these fit compared to say, Alden? I'm a 9.5D in Barrie & True Balance and a 10D in their other lasts and most dress shoes.

Thanks!

bye4now122

Reaction score
Gents - I received my Loden trail oxfords in August and have a question around care. Per OSB's suggestions (and my experience) I've been using Venetian shoe cream (about once a month - I wear them a few times a week and am not gentle on them).

I've put on more than a few scuffs and while they've been "softened" by the shoe cream and general rubbing it has still left a few noticeable discolored areas.

How do you all care for your Navy or Loden shoes? I can't believe I'm the only person out there with this issues, but based on how it's progressed in 3 months they'll look like a mess after a couple of years.

Thanks!

bye4now122

Reaction score

Hey gang, a couple of questions if anyone has any help to offer I'd appreciate it:

1) Does anyone know any stores (besides Gentry NYC) who carry the Black Captoe Trench Boot with Danite Sole?
2) How do these fit compared to say, Alden? I'm a 9.5D in Barrie & True Balance and a 10D in their other lasts and most dress shoes.

Thanks!

Can't comment on the first but for reference I'm a 8.5B in Alden Indys (true balance last) and wear an 8E in OSB Vibram Trail oxfords and Beef Roll penny loafers.

For what it's worth I also have a pair of Trail oxfords in size 8.5D that are fine if not a bit big on me. The one downside with these is that due to my wide foot they've stretched to the point that when wearing them my feet fall a bit off the sole of the shoe.

While both the true balance and OSB standard lasts are labeled as "wider" to begin with, I'm very happy that I decided to special order wide OSBs on my second and third purchases with them.

Last edited:

CEE88

Reaction score
Got the email this morning for OSBs new color 8 Trench boot. It's chromexcel, not shell, correct?

evolved

Reaction score
Got the email this morning for OSBs new color 8 Trench boot. It's chromexcel, not shell, correct?
Yep, color 8 CXL.

I've jsut picked up the natty CXL trench boot in the past week, or so, and it's breaking in wonderfully :)

CEE88

Reaction score

Yep, color 8 CXL.

I've jsut picked up the natty CXL trench boot in the past week, or so, and it's breaking in wonderfully :)
Thanks E. I figured as much, yet I was hoping there might be a shell boot option, just in time for the Holidays.
Your boots look great. I've been looking at that plain toe natty Cxl model for a while now, too, along with the brown Cxl.

Beane

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is the trench boot a wide fit? I got narrow feet, I am not sure if the trench boot would be a good choice for me

kentyman

Reaction score
Is the trench boot a wide fit? I got narrow feet, I am not sure if the trench boot would be a good choice for me

I definitely consider it wide.

evolved

Reaction score
I measure as just a hair under 11 length, and a B width on a Brannock device. I sized down to 10.5 for the trench and the fit in the toebox area is a bit wide, but the heel is just right.

nsltrls

Reaction score
I emailed Tony a ways back about fit concerns as a person with a wide foot, and he explained that the boot was designed to fit as many foot types as possible. The heel is narrower in comparison to the wide footbed, while the vamp is just low enough to accommodate flatter foot types, but not enough to cause a person with a higher instep any sort of discomfort.

Honestly, barring some sort of extreme case, if you're anything from a B width to a EE width, you should be set. The difference between shoe sizes is millimeters, so keep that in mind, too. I'm an 11 E, and I couldn't be happier with the fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads