• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times says the era of $300 premium jeans is over

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
this is great. I can't wait to get a pair of Samurais for $50. I don't agree jeans don't last long, I have a few pairs I bought in the 90s that have no holes or anything. I think its just the opposite:jeans last longer than any other clothes item.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Hmmm... NY Times says the era of $300 premium jeans is over... in their print-advertising supported... newspaper... hmmmmm.....

Geste

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
No worries. I should have explained better.
fistbump.gif

fistbump.gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Perhaps if you wear a suit often. I wear jeans every day and am lucky if I wear a suit once each year. So, the reverse of your statement is true for me.

I think that the jeans that you, I, and most forum members like aren't relevant to this market change and aren't discussed in the article. Really great jeans can absolutely be worth $300 and more - especially considering the craftsmanship that goes into them and the wear and use you get out of them. Same goes for certain $4000 suits and $2000 shoes.

Recession or no, there will be plenty of customers for these types of goods.

The jeans in question are mainstream designer pieces. A buyer for Bloomingdales should take note - not Self Edge. The dude who bought a pair of $250 True Religions in 2006 will now only buy a pair of $145 True Religions. The girl who bought the $350 Rock and Republics is now buying Forever 21, Gap, or nothing. They were never going to buy a pair of Samurai's or APC's anyway. Where's the logo? Where's the celeb connection? It's the disappearing aspirational customer who is causing this shift.

Brigden

Reaction score
Perhaps if you wear a suit often. I wear jeans every day and am lucky if I wear a suit once each year. So, the reverse of your statement is true for me.

Yeah, I've noticed you like denim.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw this coming before I parted ways with the Denim Bar. I don't know how S.E. or Big is even relevant in this discussion.
Dior, T.R., 7FMK, Rock and republic...etc where the ones juicing the retailers and the consumers from day one. A huge burst in the economy tied in with celebrity advertising and WHAM a $300.00 jean was not a problem. Companies went public and profits were what counted. Celebs worn denim to black tie functions.
The bottom line is GREED!

45rpm margins are much lower than T.R.. The making of the garment is like comparing apples to oranges.

When Kiya , Mike, or myself make a product we deliver a fair price so that everyone can make a living from the pattern maker to the cutter to the guys that work for us. T.R., 7FAMK, R&R, didn't give a **** about anything but profits. I say **** them. Its well deserved. Under 145.00 washed is where most of the jeans should be. The correction had to take place sometime.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ that will never happen but being fair and not being greedy is totally possible.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well, its all about longevity. Jeans don't tend to last long enough, thus the premium price paid is frankly due to marketing than to craftsmanship as it is in high-end shoes or suits (mens jeans, shoes, and suits). Plus coupled with the fact that the price of jeans jumped dramatically during the 'premium' jean fad, that well, its rather obvious that no jean was ever worth such an exuberant retail price.

Depending on wear, jeans may or may not last as long as a suit, but I hope your statement about craftsmanship applies only to the likes of TR, R&R, and not the truly premium stuff that comes out of Japan, US, etc.

If you look at it this way, a $4000 suit is equivalent to buying a pair of $300 jeans each year for 13 years. Who honestly wears (or is able to wear due to change in body type) the same suit in the same style for more than 13 years? I'm sure some do, but probably not a lot.

Originally Posted by Brigden
Yeah, I've noticed you like denim.
Really?
smile.gif
I actually don't own a lot of denim, but it's a fairly high percentage of my daily wardrobe.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at it this way, a $4000 suit is equivalent to buying a pair of $300 jeans each year for 13 years. Who honestly wears (or is able to wear due to change in body type) the same suit in the same style for more than 13 years? I'm sure some do, but probably not a lot.
Not to mention you could most likely wear that same pair of $300 jeans everyday for that year if you so desire. Try that with a $4000 suit and see how long it lasts.

wttm

Reaction score
It's funny how hes comparing designers jeans to repros. No **** 45rpm and Sammies can stay at the 300 mark when the consumers buying those are educated on what they are buying and are willing to fetch out the premium. Whereas the demographic for "designer" jeans are the ones just buying cause so and so are wearing them.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ that's why product that self edge and BiG are not relevant in this conversation.
Just like buying a bespoke suit for 4,000.00 is not relevant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads