• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nominate your favorite e. green shoe

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Harris, aren't they supposed to be listed in UK E/US D widths (e.g. 9.5/10 D 89), as mentioned before (from the archives)? Â Check this link for more information.
That was my guess early on, based on my experience with the 8 or so pairs of EG/RLPL shoes I had at the time. But if you check pages 4 and 5 of that thread, those who ordered the shoes reported that they were marked with a UK D width. RLPL probably went back to a D width when they realized how much wider the 89 fits in comparison with the 808. Off the top of my head, my favorites are the Dover and Yardley (Yardley is the monk strap version of the Dover,) Â the Warwick chukka boot, and the Stowe monkstrap. Bengal Stripe, does the York look something like these Lobbs:
JLPortman1.jpg
I like those...

marc37

Reaction score
Have you seen any Edward Green's in person? Â How about the Dover? Â If you have, you would understand why it is so fondly talked about: the workmanship, the detailing, the proportions, and in the right colours the antiquing.
Unfortunately, l have only seen pictures. l have been thinking about the Dover today, l must admit [though] that the pictures were only average.

marc37

Reaction score
I will take another look at the Stowe in person, particularly because so many people I respect here have given it nearly unanimous praise, Bic
l must admit that the Stowe is a pretty hot shoe. lnfact; a shoe to end all shoes really.
biggrin.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bengal Stripe, does the York look something like these Lobbs:
"York" is very similar to "Dover", just three eyelets (and therefore more vamp cleavage) and without the heel counter:
020000620.jpg
More pictures: http://www.oldvic.jp/items/index.php...view&i=0200006 Equally shoefan published a while back pictures of a sample pair, he had bought and which was designed by Tony Gaziano. These shoes were quite similar to the "York" (although there might be some differences.)

Phil

Reaction score
while on the topic of EG's, and our favorite models (mine is the stowe), what about favorite colors for EG shoes? Mine is a tie between burnt pine antique and acorn antique. I just love the way they age.

MPS

Reaction score
My favourite model is the Ladbroke, and my favourite colours are Edwardian Antique or Dark Oak.

I must be the exception in disliking the Dover.

wicozani

Reaction score
I recently received from EG's sale the Telford in mink suede (last 202) and the Plymouth in burnt pine antique (last 606), both in UK10.5 "F" fitting. The 202 last is certainly roomier than the 606 last, which in turn is only a touch wider than the last on the RLPL/EG Cardiff, which was the equivalent of a US "D" width (i.e., too narrow for me). I like both the Telford and Plymouth very much, though my absolute favorite EGs are the Stowe and Jodhpur ankle boot. As for color, I prefer the antique cognac or similar color. The burnt pine antique is a very unique color, darker than I expected with a dark mustard/olive hue. I'll be searching for a while for a belt to match. I hope to post some pictures soon. Regards, Jeff

dorian

Reaction score
Please do post pictures. I'm not familiar with either of those models.

I've had some difficulty matching belts with EGs, for obvious reasons. The antique finishes are simply beyond the vast majority of belt-makers. Best of luck...

Does EG not do belts in a similar fashion as Lobb-Paris?

TimelessRider

Reaction score
My favorite (and it's not going to be very original given the previous votes for the Dover) is the Halifax boot. I like it in both country and dress boot configurations. It has to be my most complimented shoe overall. Of course, I have not had the prvilege of seeing Edward Green's entire catalogue for comparison. I recently saw the Lommond boot on ebay, and I had to immediately bump it to the top of my EG want list. Maybe next year... My favorite color is dark oak and I think it looks amazing with navy outfits. Bengal-stripe/A.Harris - Regarding the York model, I contacted Edward Green a few months ago about a plain-toe three-eyelet blucher (Ã la Lobb Perrier) and was advised that the model name is the "York." The salesperson was kind enough to fax me this sketch of the York's unlasted uppers. I can only assume that the plain-toe York is the default design of the York, whereas the split-toe could be a special order placed by the folks at Old Vic. I'd hate for anyone (including myself) to expect one style and receive the other.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently saw the Lommond boot on ebay, and I had to immediately bump it to the top of my EG want list. Maybe next year...
I also have a thing for the Shannon boot, which is a cap-toe Balmoral boot. There were a few pairs on eBay in tobacco suede for very reasonable prices several months ago, but alas. None was in my size (although I recall that bengal-stripe snapped one up). Edit: I managed to find a picture of the Shannon:
shannon.jpg

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I contacted Edward Green a few months ago about a plain-toe three-eyelet blucher (Ã la Lobb Perrier) and was advised that the model name is the "York."
This is only a two-eyelet shoe, but it's very much in keeping with the Perrier aesthetic. I think that the model name is Exeter:
cord_1.jpg

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite (and it's not going to be very original given the previous votes for the Dover) is the Halifax boot.  I like it in both country and dress boot configurations.  It has to be my most complimented shoe overall.  
I am with you on the Halifax, and since I am both a monk and a boot guy, I would love to get a look at a pair of Olney's.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please do post pictures. I'm not familiar with either of those models.
A couple of decent sites for EG pictures are Edward Jones and Old Vic, both Japanese retailers. Plymouth is a wing-tip adelaide:
020001000.jpg
I can't find an online picture of the Telford, but it's an adelaide half-brogue.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jcusey,
If my memory serves me correctly, Asprey is currently offering an EG boot in a very similar style this season.  Sadly, most of their shoes were black in the NYC flagship store.

Btw, the Olney is a great shoe but the 606 last doesn't fit me nearly as well as the 202 or 808.  The Sak's Fifth in NYC carries the Olney in either the burnt pine or dark oak.

EDIT: I found my favorite. The Jodpur called the Gresham in Edwardian antique or an antiqued burgundy (if available). In a perfect world, I could just have Green copy the burnishing pattern on my Santonis and transfer it to that boot.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw, the Olney is a great shoe but the 606 last doesn't fit me nearly as well as the 202 or 808. The Sak's Fifth in NYC carries the Olney in either the burnt pine or antique acorn.
For me, 202 and 606 both fit better than 808. Feet are strange things, aren't they?

Saks must be doing well with the Olney. They had it in dark oak in the spring, and I couldn't resist. It would be fabulous in either of those other two colors, as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads