• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No longer obsessed with this watch?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
many of those vintage pateks are ugly.

I feel like most who buy them do so just to get the patek name on their wrist.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
It's good that you came to your senses.

I know very little about watches but everyone of the PPs above and PPs in general are truly beautiful and elegant timepieces. The cases have simple yet pleasing shapes.

On the other hand the omega you posted or any omega/rolex/lookalike are truly MF ugly. The case shapes are so inelegant i dont know where to begin describing how pleabian they look.
I honestly think you just got taken in initially by the blue. Blue is an alluring color. But know you see past that. Good on you.

Yes, you got me. I was taken by the blue face with the grey gator strap--it just caught my eye.

The PP I truely want is about a year's worth of shoe shopping, but hopefully when I get it it will become a family heirloom.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
many of those vintage pateks are ugly.

I feel like most who buy them do so just to get the patek name on their wrist.

I agree that may are not my taste either--I was just giving an example of Pateks that are in the price range of a $7k Omega. The good news about vintage PP is that they are already 40+ years old and will not depreciate any more. One day when you give it to your grandson it will still be a vintate Patek. Omega are going to depreciate much faster.

Where I don't agree with you is that people are buying PP to put the name on their wrist. Sure, the name is nice. However, that is like saying people buy Ferrari to get a horse on their hood. People buy them for the history, workmanship, collectibility, beauty, etc. The name helps ensure that your watch is not going to depreciate much. Unlike Ferrari, most people don't even know what PP is.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
However, I also wear a Tag when playing with the dogs or working on the racecar, so I'm not a total snob.

ahahahahahahaha
AHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAAA

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

lol8[1].gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Not sure what this means, but ok
eh.gif

Originally Posted by acridsheep
I doubt people who buy really nice watches like PP (or even Omega, to a lesser extent) give a hair on a rat's ass about watch depreciation.

Some people care (myself included care). I'm sure people that buy $100k + watches don't care much about any type of depreciation. However, there are plenty of PP in the $10-$20k range that will still be worth a pretty penny in 50 years.

I have not yet brought myself to buying used shoes. However, I have bought used sports coats, cars, and watches. All of the above, if well taken care of, will serve you a long time and are available for a reasonable price.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I agree that may are not my taste either--I was just giving an example of Pateks that are in the price range of a $7k Omega. The good news about vintage PP is that they are already 40+ years old and will not depreciate any more. One day when you give it to your grandson it will still be a vintate Patek. Omega are going to depreciate much faster.

Where I don't agree with you is that people are buying PP to put the name on their wrist. Sure, the name is nice. However, that is like saying people buy Ferrari to get a horse on their hood. People buy them for the history, workmanship, collectibility, beauty, etc. The name helps ensure that your watch is not going to depreciate much. Unlike Ferrari, most people don't even know what PP is.

Agree about depreciation of these older time pieces.

That said, I feel like the guy who buys the $6k calatrava or similar is similar to the guy who buys the Ferrari Mondial or 308 GT4 just to say they have a ferrari because a lot of people know that ferrari and Pateks are expensive

Some are obviously watch enthusiasts on a budget, but I'm not sure where the percentages fall.

bullethead

Reaction score
Love the second watch-the seamaster. it looks as if it is discontinued. anyone know where one is for sale?

oldpreppyguy

Reaction score
You may be right about the guy buying the $6K Patek - maybe not to impress others as much as to be able to say to himself that he owns one (that is unless he is a true WIS and comes across a real steal where the vendor doesn't really know what he's selling), but I don't know about the Ferrari 308/Mondial buyer. I think the non-enthusiast with the image issues buys a nice older Mercedes - not the money pit that is "semi-vintage" Ferrari
smile.gif
!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, I feel like the guy who buys the $6k calatrava or similar is similar to the guy who buys the Ferrari Mondial or 308 GT4 just to say they have a ferrari because a lot of people know that ferrari and Pateks are expensive

Some are obviously watch enthusiasts on a budget, but I'm not sure where the percentages fall.

Well, I'm a car guy and I love Ferraris. I would drive a 308...

Now I'm thinking about watches again. I have my eye on this Patek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-PATEK-PHILI...item4cf6e9b324

I offered the guy $10k, but he turned it down. I'm sure it is worth the $12k that it is going for, but I just don't want to spend that right now.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by oldpreppyguy
You may be right about the guy buying the $6K Patek - maybe not to impress others as much as to be able to say to himself that he owns one (that is unless he is a true WIS and comes across a real steal where the vendor doesn't really know what he's selling), but I don't know about the Ferrari 308/Mondial buyer. I think the non-enthusiast with the image issues buys a nice older Mercedes - not the money pit that is "semi-vintage" Ferrari
smile.gif
!

I'd think that the guy who's concerned about his image would go for a Rolex and a Merc. The cheap ones would go for a Tag and an older Merc.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads