• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say Lybro has taken a big leap forward with this new collection. I've not been convinced till now, either in store or via photography, but the majority of the new stuff is looking pretty good. I especially like the chambray work shirt and the railway inspired items. I won't be walking around in dungarees personally, but I do like the design.

I'll pass on the new converse collab shoes though. No doubt there'll be a big demand, but they look weird.

Well I'm somewhat confused with the one Lybro jacket as the Cabourn site has a patch on it where the Bureau's photos don't show one. Anyway, I'm liking more of it the more I look at it. I would just caution on the chambray shirt. I have yet to handle one, but I did try the Joe's shirt from SS and it was somewhat thin and actually see-through.

GheeButtersnaps

Reaction score
The Armoury also carries some stock. I know they have the Everest Parka in Cobalt Blue from last season available, though that is in storage.

I think their current stock will be online sometime in September.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
Anyone see or try on the new Donkey jacket? Does it fit better than previous seasons? I tried it two seasons ago however it was impossible to wear due to the leather sleeves. Where the sleeves met the body the interior shoulder seam was too thick ( due to the leather meeting the wool ).

I also seem to remember the upper chest and shoulders feeling a bit snug on this jacket. I am a 50 in the Mallory and take 52 in the Camerman so I can wear a sweater underneath

Last edited:

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superfuture put up their stock. Wow prices are high these days for NC. Pining over a Mallory as I get rid of my army one....

Serad

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first Cabourn piece - outerwear to be specific. Looking for some more info on specific pieces if anyone could help!
I wanted to get a jacket or coat a bit more resilient to the local weather coming fall/winter. I'm looking for something warmer than my current overcoat (which generally is fine just not when it gets cold or particularly rainy - I live in Netherlands so this happens a lot). Trying to buy me a main piece that will last a long time.

I am considering the following options:

Cold Weather Parka

http://www.manufactum.de/nigel-cabourn-cold-weather-parka-p1515550/?a=67517&h=25&s=nigel+cabourn

I like the look but can't find much info about it except some posts here a few years back, at €769 it's relatively affordable. How does this compare to other popular Cabourn offerings like the Cameraman, quality/material, warmth wise etc? How does it fit/sizing?

I also like the Cameraman a lot although I'm really hesitant to drop 1200-1400 Eur on it so likely I will try to pick up something second hand. I suppose they don't ever go on sale either. Still, is this a very thick jacket? (the FW one) How would it compare to the Cold Weather Parka...and why is it so more expensive (at least the FW16 ones) than e.g. Cabourn parka's and the other jackets like the Sherpa? Just wondering if there's a big difference that makes up the price.

Then there's also locally online someone selling the Everest Antarctic Parka for 800 Eur. It's in yellow so not my favourite and wasn't that much into it but since this retails at 2800~ Eur I'm curious whether I should consider this after all. It does look really warm though, not sure if it's super wearable.

All of these are size 48. I'm 5'10 (just shy of 1.80 cm), 150lbs/68kg~, chest about 37. so I'm not exactly massive but my shoulders are comparatively broad and my arms are long. Am I going to be okay sizing wise or would I be better off with 46's (which are a massive pain to find)?

Thanks a lot for any input I really appreciate it.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
Anyone see or try on the new Donkey jacket? Does it fit better than previous seasons? I tried it two seasons ago however it was impossible to wear due to the leather sleeves. Where the sleeves met the body the interior shoulder seam was too thick ( due to the leather meeting the wool ).

I also seem to remember the upper chest and shoulders feeling a bit snug on this jacket. I am a 50 in the Mallory and take 52 in the Camerman so I can wear a sweater underneath

For anyone interested here is some feedback on this years Donkey Jacket. As mentioned in my previous post the original wool/leather version from twol seasons ago was effectively unwearable. This was confirmed to me by the retailer from whom I purchased the original. They sent their entire inventory back to Cabourn.

This years Donkey is magnificent. Typical Cabourn - not too much bling but just an classy well made heritage original. I am 5'10" 175 pounds and in my mid 50's (so not a younger waif like many of today's clothes seemed to be designed for). I take a 50 in Cabourn jackets (winter Mallory and spring Camo Notch) and a 52 in a winter Cameraman (to allow for wearing a sweater underneath).

A size 52 Donkey is LARGE - 25.5" pit to pit is big for a size 52. The Bureau Belfast's measurements were spot on. I wanted to size down to a 50 and had to source directly from Cabourn's website (first time). The size 50 is only 1" smaller pit to pit and 1" smaller in the shoulders. It fit PERFECTLY and is really a magnificent piece. The jacket is unlined and I was initially concerned about the sleeves being unlined and getting a sweater through them. No problem at all as they are nice and roomy. I am VERY HAPPY with my purchase.

Compliments to Bureau Belfast for excellent customer service. Although they were unable to source a 50 they made the effort to contact Cabourn and inquire on availability. Further compliments to the Cabourn website. I telephoned the shop and had my questions answered and it was explained to me that web orders pass through the Newcastle office and are then forwarded down to the London shop where inventory is kept and items are shipped from. I was told that as long as an order was placed by 4PM UK time the London shop would get the order out the same day. Sure enough I placed my order on Tuesday afternoon and it arrived at my home outside of NY on Thursday. One cannot ask for any better service.

I hope this post is helpful to anyone considering this coat.

loanshark

Reaction score
Is the donkey jacket very heavy weight?

Also does anyone know if they make Mallory jackets in size 56?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads