• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
Would welcome thoughts on the shirt. Its a Cabourn Oxford from last year but is it too long to go for the untucked look underneath the waistcoat. I can't quite decide.

To my eyes it's too long. Combined with the generous turn-ups on your jeans it just goes to visually shorten your legs. I'd tuck the shirt in, and probably go a little easier on the turn-ups. Then again, I do have short legs and am quite aware of this...

jacksonn

Reaction score
My willpower completely wilted and I kopped the Indigo Mallory. And the waistcoat, lol. This is the only pic I have at the minute that captures the colour best but its still not quite right.

I didn't pay attention to what size I tried on last week and I think I must've tried on the next size up as this one is a little snug. Here's a quick fit pic I took before heading out yesterday. Would welcome thoughts on the shirt. Its a Cabourn Oxford from last year but is it too long to go for the untucked look underneath the waistcoat. I can't quite decide.

I'd be happy with that shirt length. IMO anything that doesn't go past the join of the legs on the jean is ok. If it goes past there, it's getting too long - although I've seen Cabourn himself sporting a very long shirt under a waistcoat. (Any chance you can divulge your height and the measurement of the shirt?)

I really, really want to buy the new medical shirt but I've looked at the measurements (80cm length) and I know it's going to be like a nightshirt on me. I can't buy it. At least not without trying it on, but at the moment it seems to be NC website only. If End get one in then I'll definitely try it. Altering's not an option. NC puts so much detail on his items it'd bother me to get anything hacked off. And it never feels the same afterwards no matter how good a job they do of the alteration.

Jagger_On

Reaction score

Looks great and that's exactly how I wear my Cabourn shirts - showing below the waistcoat as the lower placket detail doesn't lend itself for tucking into trousers

Snug is better as it fills the shape of the Mallory and kicks it out at the waist a bit more giving a more fitted look - plus it hangs more open at the front showing off the waistcoat

If you went for the next size up, I think the sleeves would be too long

The colour and the texture to the wool looks great too

To my eyes it's too long. Combined with the generous turn-ups on your jeans it just goes to visually shorten your legs. I'd tuck the shirt in, and probably go a little easier on the turn-ups. Then again, I do have short legs and am quite aware of this...

I'd be happy with that shirt length. IMO anything that doesn't go past the join of the legs on the jean is ok. If it goes past there, it's getting too long - although I've seen Cabourn himself sporting a very long shirt under a waistcoat. (Any chance you can divulge your height and the measurement of the shirt?)

I really, really want to buy the new medical shirt but I've looked at the measurements (80cm length) and I know it's going to be like a nightshirt on me. I can't buy it. At least not without trying it on, but at the moment it seems to be NC website only. If End get one in then I'll definitely try it. Altering's not an option. NC puts so much detail on his items it'd bother me to get anything hacked off. And it never feels the same afterwards no matter how good a job they do of the alteration. 

Thanks for the comments guys. I think the various comments about the shirt length sum up how I feel about it. Generally I like it but every so often I catch a glimpse in a mirror and think its a wee bit too long. I'll mess about with it again and see how I feel. I definitely wouldn't wear it untucked unless I was wearing it with a waistcoat though.

Nick - I agree with you about the size of the cuffs. The jeans are fairly new and I just double cuffed them as standard when I tried them on and never got round to adjusting them. They definitely need adjusted as they must be over 2 inches. Possibly the nicest jeans I've ever had though, the fabric is really nice and slubby.

Jacksonn - I'm just under 6 foot and the shirt is a size 52, as is the Mallory and most of my Cabourn stuff except for waistcoats where I usually take the next size up. I looked at the medical shirt in Corniche when I was there. It's a really nice shirt and a lot cheaper than the one I bought a few years back. If you can find one in your size, I'm sure you'll like it and hopefully it won't need alterations as I agree, you always seem to lose some details when you have to do that with shirts.

Nice looking jacket FlyingMonkey, thought for a minute you had a chunky sweater on too but I'm guessing thats how the cuffs come.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Further reduction on Marrkt + free shipping over £50

Last edited:

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
Decent deals to be had on the down jackets, but my oh my has that sale been slow... Must be the slowest moving stock yet in a Marrkt sale?

Phil McCrackin

Reaction score
should have held on bit longer

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Phil McCrackin

Reaction score
boxy fit , short in length , but wide ..
Im 56 in nearly all NC , but 54 is fine for Aircraft , had both types too ..

Phil McCrackin

Reaction score
did anyone bag the Camo Aircraft , website special ?
Im looking for this in 54 , they have re-stocked it , but Im not gonna pay full rrp , when this was considerably less in the sale.
only thing Im concerned about is if it's too short ..
anyone who did get one some measurements be appreciated ..

brianoh

Reaction score
Came to this thread to inquire about NC affiliate 50% off current season stuff. Anyone have a clue?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would let you know that we are running a 40% off sale on F/W '13 Nigel Cabourn with Well-Spent this weekend only!

Head on over to http://well-spent.com/2013/10/18/the-friday-find-nigel-cabourn-sale-at-independence/ to get all the details.

If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or call us at 312.675.2015.

Came to this thread to inquire about NC affiliate 50% off current season stuff. Anyone have a clue?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads