• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

Nerkg

Reaction score

Makes perfect sense, gives the leather more structure, but it will also make it stiffer and heavier too, so that's important to keep in mind, and from what I understand Nick's uses some of the thickest around. Apparently the CXL they use is almost twice as thick as that used by Wolverine and Alden.

James

Trust me man, it's the lining!

You couldn't be more wrong. Parts of the cow or horse get more wear and tear during there life, that's what the creasing is, I've seen it many times in aero jackets, the finer the leather the more chance for this, the inconsistencies are unavoidable. When they are cutting the leather there's really no way to know what part will crease in this way until they have some wear. The lining has zero to do with it.

thatisgross

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Don't really post on here (just lurking for years), but thought this would be a great post to start. Been talking to Dustin at Vermilyea Pelle back and forth and have agreed upon a very small run(~3 boots) of a horween waxed flesh 5" boot design. He is looking for about 1 more person to go in on this so that he can use the rest of the hide. The boots will be made basically to the specifications he has on his own pair (the picture I have included). The sole will most likely be a vibram 430 (still finalizing that). This is the last of Dustin's waxed flesh and also the last of Horween's waxed flesh that he will have for a while until they get another large order for it (and have leftover hides to sell) or until they decide to make it again (as they currently do not have any in stock other than the hides still out there with boot-makers). This will be a very special boot, as it will be made by Nick's and finished by Dustin himself in his shop and will be in waxed flesh, which is a quite rare leather offering and one of the most unique and beautiful leathers out there if you ask me. If interested shoot me a message and I'll give you Dustin's contact info.

Thanks!

thatisgross

Reaction score

I want in but just want to know if I can do a #2 toe unstructured.

Dustin wants to do all 3 boots exactly the same so that there are no QC issues (nicks is not used to making these kinds of boots I've been told) so I'm not sure a different toe will be possible but this toe is unstructured in the photo and so will be the toe on the boot. Shoot me a message if you're still interested.

westie187

Reaction score
I would be all over that except that I have a pair of almost identical to that photo from the SF MTO. You won't be disappointed in that leather- it's fantastic.

thatisgross

Reaction score
I think we still have enough leather for one more pair. Get at me today!

EDIT: We're full! Thanks for the interest guys, this is sure to be a very special and exclusive, unique boot.

Last edited:

Chris Tran

Reaction score
Ordered another pair of Nick's today.

9.5EE
Robert
Green chromepak
Vibram 700 v-bar sole and heel cap
standard heel cut
Pull loop
toe cap
natural edge
white welt stitching
leather laces

This is what Viberg's Horween Green Chromepak looks like, so I'm very excited
UJ29ervl.jpg

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score
Just got my Nick's 6" Roberts in Natural Chromexcel back from resizing yesterday. They did a real nice job, if I didn't recognize the upper part I never would have guessed these were re-done.

I was originally sized by their staff as a 7C, when I wore them it felt like I was shoving my toe into one of my wife's pumps. Spoke with Kyle at Baker Shoe who also has my measurements and really felt like I was a 7 1/2D Just like my White's sizing (no argument from Nicks there). However after being sized to 7 1/2 D these Roberts almost feel like 1/2 size bigger than my Whites SD's. Birds eye view they look about the same length and width, but my Whites have a real locked in snug fit. These nicks almostt feel like a size 8D whites I've tried on in the past.

Anyone have similar experience with Whites vs Nicks sizing?

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`m a 9D semi dress Whites, and Bounty Hunter, and I fit into the 8 1/2 in the James above, and a 9 in the Williams above from Nick. I guess not only do Whites and Nicks have different lasts, but one may have different sizes between them. Always good to get a professional opinion. It was generally said here that Nicks sizes large (9 Whites would be 8 1/2 Nicks), but its nit generally true I feel. The 9D Semi dress Whites, and my 9D William feel about the same.

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score
I`m a 9D semi dress Whites, and Bounty Hunter, and I fit into the 8 1/2 in the James above, and a 9 in the Williams above from Nick. I guess not only do Whites and Nicks have different lasts, but one may have different sizes between them. Always good to get a professional opinion. It was generally said here that Nicks sizes large (9 Whites would be 8 1/2 Nicks), but its nit generally true I feel. The 9D Semi dress Whites, and my 9D William feel about the same.
Thanks for your input daizawaguy - interesting that Kyle and one of the fellows at Nicks said their sizing compared to Whites is about the same, which is the case with your Williams. With that said I have also tried SDs with different leathers that felt completely different - that could be part of it too, the Chromexcel vs the dress leather.

Was just curious about other's experience - thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads