• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Joseph MTM Shirt Deal in Chicago

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend forwarded me an email from Thrillist.com about this MTM deal in Chicago. Nicholas Joseph is doing a buy-one-get-one-free deal for their custom shirts through May 15. All you have to do is mention Thrillist.com. I have never heard of them, but their website looks like they do the basic MTM shirt for between $120 and $160. Two shirts for $120 isn't a terrible deal, so I'll probably go check this out. I have had shirt problems with Hemrajani, Chan, and Jantzen with fit, delivery, reliability, etc, so I am already looking for a local shirtmaker. I looked into Despos shirts, but at over $300 per shirt, they are out of my price range. If anyone knows of another Chicago shirtmaker, I'd be curious to hear your experiences. NJ's website: http://www.nicholas-joseph.com/. They are located at Elm & Rush in Gold Coast.

factorial

Reaction score
Looks pretty interesting. I think I'll try them out sometime in the next month... would like to get a couple slim fitting shirts. Would also be curious to hear about anyone else's experiences.

factorial

Reaction score
I put in an order for two shirts today. A pink with white stripes egyptian cotton ($149) and a white with blue and gold stripes ($134). I'm second guessing myself on the second fabric. The "two for one" discount knocked off $119 so the post-tax total was $177.53. I figure under $90 a shirt is a fair deal when they're not just MTM, they're cutting a pattern... but it will be tempting to just take the measurements of this shirt and use them for something like Jantzen or Tailorstore in the future, since I'm not sure that they will really be worth $150 a pop.

I selected a standard point collar, single collar button, mitered 2 button barrel cuffs, split yoke, no pleats, no pockets, and standard placket. (Nick didn't offer the option of a French placket to me; I asked about it and he said that they were a standard placket, and I was fine with that, so I'm not sure if he does French plackets.) He also offers free monogramming. I decided to get the monogram in white on the white shirt, but thought it would be too apparent on the pink shirt, so skipped it on that one.

Nick took measurements for shirt as well as for jacket and pants in case I decided to get a suit made later. The options on fit are "fitted", "regular", and "loose"; I'm hoping that fitted is fitted enough for me. I also apparently have normal posture but my right shoulder is sloped and right arm is slightly longer. Kind of interesting since I've never had any MTO stuff made before I haven't had such detailed measurements taken.

My fitting for the first shirt should be in a few weeks. I'll post back then.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went for my second fitting last week. The shirt had some obvious errors probably due to a typo in the sizing. Also, the shirt was not even close to slim fit, and when I suggested we take in the sides, I was immediately met with "No, that's not something we should do". I eventually got my way, and I think they are remaking the shirt from scratch.

deaddog

Reaction score
Thinking about shirts from NJ. Would appreciate a report from you guys on how you liked the final product.
Thanks

esinclai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I went for my second fitting last week. The shirt had some obvious errors probably due to a typo in the sizing. Also, the shirt was not even close to slim fit, and when I suggested we take in the sides, I was immediately met with "No, that's not something we should do". I eventually got my way, and I think they are remaking the shirt from scratch.

I'm curious how the end result from Nicholas Joseph turned out for you - and if you (or others) have used them again.

I'm interested in starting down the path of MTM, but not sure I can commit to the expense of Despos or Riddle McIntyre at this learning stage...

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchcuffexec
In Chicago, they are the best option for custom clothing.

The best option for reasonably priced custom clothing? Maybe. The best option overall? Hardly.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
They had a promotion looking for a style blogger to write for their email newsletters, and in return you got a few free shirts each month. I never got around to writing a sample column, but after seeing the drivel that whoever they hired is churning out, I really wish I'd given it a go.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
They had a promotion looking for a style blogger to write for their email newsletters, and in return you got a few free shirts each month. I never got around to writing a sample column, but after seeing the drivel that whoever they hired is churning out, I really wish I'd given it a go.

Wow. This guy needs to be banned right away. All 4 of his posts are about how awesome Nicholas Joseph is. Clearly a troll.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrCrlhm