• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new to caring for leather shoes -- am I doing it right?

Reaction score
I started a new job six months ago, and I bought two pairs of AE shoes (chili Park Avenues, walnut Stands). I've been alternating between them on workdays.

After experimenting a little, here's what I've been doing to care for them:

* quick brush before and after wearing, shoe trees when not wearing

* once a week:
- wipe with damp cloth
- coat of saphir renovateur, wait a few minutes, brush
- coat of AE cream polish, wait half an hour, brush, buff

So, dumb question, does this routine sound ok, and is this how they're supposed to look? I've been worried that the amount of creasing on the vamp of the Park Avenues means I've been doing something wrong. And I can't tell if the color on the vamp of the same shoes looks a little weird.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_5472.JPG
    IMG_5472.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 709

notdos

Reaction score
Renovateur is really only needed for old, heavily worn shoes , that need to be “renovated”. Would never use it regularly.
Cream polish adds color, but not as much shine as a wax.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started a new job six months ago, and I bought two pairs of AE shoes (chili Park Avenues, walnut Stands). I've been alternating between them on workdays.

After experimenting a little, here's what I've been doing to care for them:

* quick brush before and after wearing, shoe trees when not wearing

* once a week:
- wipe with damp cloth
- coat of saphir renovateur, wait a few minutes, brush
- coat of AE cream polish, wait half an hour, brush, buff

So, dumb question, does this routine sound ok, and is this how they're supposed to look? I've been worried that the amount of creasing on the vamp of the Park Avenues means I've been doing something wrong. And I can't tell if the color on the vamp of the same shoes looks a little weird.

Thanks!

quite honestly you’re doing too much. Unless you’re abusing your shoes, a color match conditioning cream, Saphir will have it, applied once every 2-3 months is fine. Don’t over treat the leather!

As for the creases, that’s normal. All shoes will crease over the vamp and other stress points. Use cedar shoe trees after removing your shoes.

depending on what elements the soles are exposed to, you can also get a sole conditioner and apply it once every 1-2 months, but that’s as far as I’d go.

those are good looking shoes. As much as we dump on AE here, you have a couple of examples of what they still get right.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just brush and use shoe trees. I only apply cream polish if the shoes get scuffed or the leather looks obviously dry. I might do this once a year or two. Every week is too much. No renovateur.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Renovateur is a bit harsh. I imagine it's probably fine on Allen Edmonds shoes. It's not a good idea on "crust leather." Crust leather is an uncolored leather that's hand-colored at a workshop using dyes. When you use Renovateur on crust leather, it can strip the color off.

However, I don't believe that Allen Edmonds uses crust leather, so you're probably OK with using that conditioner on AE shoes.

In general, your routine sounds fine. As others have said, you might be doing this too often. I condition my shoes when they look dry, which is maybe once every year or two. Sometimes three, if I'm being honest. I think I polish my shoes about once a year.

If you are looking for a leather conditioner that's not Renovateur, try Allen Edmonds. Otherwise, I would just keep with the same routine and do it only when you think the shoes need that sort of care.

The creasing is normal and how shoes are supposed to look.

Reaction score
Thanks all, this is really useful! So I'll remove renovateur from my regular routine, and back off on polishing (maybe I'll start by trying once a month).

One more question. I've been thinking of starting to use wax polish. Does it sound ok to try doing a coat of cream polish and a coat of wax, once a month?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, this is really useful! So I'll remove renovateur from my regular routine, and back off on polishing (maybe I'll start by trying once a month).

One more question. I've been thinking of starting to use wax polish. Does it sound ok to try doing a coat of cream polish and a coat of wax, once a month?

again, I think you’re over doing it. I don’t normally use a wax polish. Wax does add an element of water repellency but it can also result in build up. I prefer a conditioning cream.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, I don't believe that Allen Edmonds uses crust leather, so you're probably OK with using that conditioner on AE shoes.

I have some AEs which did not react to the Renovateur well. They were the bourbon color and burnished, I believe. Applying the renovateur resulted in a bit of striping and some color loss. From what I recall, I was not alone in voicing this concern. People on this forum and others mentioned they had experience this phenomenon.

Reaction score
I have some AEs which did not react to the Renovateur well. They were the bourbon color and burnished, I believe. Applying the renovateur resulted in a bit of striping and some color loss. From what I recall, I was not alone in voicing this concern. People on this forum and others mentioned they had experience this phenomenon.

Oh interesting, I hadn't heard that. But google led me to https://putthison.com/the-problem-with-saphir-renovateur/ , which aligns with what you're saying. I'll be careful going forward. I actually noticed something like this, but I didn't attribute it to the renovateur. What did you do? Redye your shoes? Or did it get better as you applied polish over time?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh interesting, I hadn't heard that. But google led me to https://putthison.com/the-problem-with-saphir-renovateur/ , which aligns with what you're saying. I'll be careful going forward. I actually noticed something like this, but I didn't attribute it to the renovateur. What did you do? Redye your shoes? Or did it get better as you applied polish over time?

I've polished the shoes with some Saphir creme polish and they have improved however the color is still somewhat uneven. To be fair, this is only really noticeable at night so it's not a big deal and it makes the shoes look a little rakish.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, wax polish on top of cream is fine. I suppose you can do it once a month, if you wanted to.

Cream polish has a higher concentration of pigments, so it's more likely to change teh color of your shoes over time. It also helps keep your shoes feeling supple. If you use cream polish on a regular basis, you sometimes don't even need to use a conditioner.

Wax adds a layer of water repellency and it leaves a higher shine than cream.

I never add just wax. I always do cream + wax on things such as boots and most lace-up shoes. But for something like loafers, where I don't want a high shine or water repellency, I just do cream.

If you use wax, the material will build up and every once in a while, you'll want to strip the wax off with something. I use Lexol. A few good wipes and you're good.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoe care routine is pretty simple:

Brush before and after wearing
Polish if they begin looking a little dull or if they get scuffed
Wax if I want to add some shine

I once thought it was all much more complicated than this and eventually realized that more polishing, waxing, etc was unnecessary.

Reaction score
My shoe care routine is pretty simple:

Brush before and after wearing
Polish if they begin looking a little dull or if they get scuffed
Wax if I want to add some shine

I once thought it was all much more complicated than this and eventually realized that more polishing, waxing, etc was unnecessary.

well -- if that works, that's liberating! I'll try it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I polish my shoes maybe once a month but brush often. I use a cream polish for the deeper color and moisturizing of the leather, then add a thin coat of wax polish in the same color. Wax will give it a shine and a little water resistance. Agree with what everyone said about the renovateur, use it very sparingly.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777