• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new pre-workout supplement

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
pre-workout supplements that work work because it contains caffeine. you're better off just drinking some diet soda (to avoid the calories) or drinking some coffee because it's much cheaper. the caffeine in pre-workout supplements is what's giving you that added energy, not the other stuff, but the added energy gives people that biofeedback to make them think all that other stuff is working too (logically speaking, people forget that correlation is not necessarily causation).

virus646

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
If you're TOO tired to workout without an energy supp you shouldn't be working out in the first place.

+1, if you can't give your 100%, don't bother and get some sleep. Will be much more beneficial for yourself.

Other than that, a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee/caffeine works wonder.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
pre-workout supplements that work work because it contains caffeine. you're better off just drinking some diet soda (to avoid the calories) or drinking some coffee because it's much cheaper. the caffeine in pre-workout supplements is what's giving you that added energy, not the other stuff, but the added energy gives people that biofeedback to make them think all that other stuff is working too (logically speaking, people forget that correlation is not necessarily causation).

There are more stimulants in the world then caffeine. You get stimulants with ephadrine and 1-3 dimeth in them and considering both of those are used as recreational drugs you'd think that they work as stimulants. I used to take ephadrine every morning because I was tired and it definitely gave me a buzz.

m.gway

Reaction score
+1 for Jack3d. Grape is the best in my opinion.

virus646

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
There are more stimulants in the world then caffeine. You get stimulants with ephadrine and 1-3 dimeth in them and considering both of those are used as recreational drugs you'd think that they work as stimulants. I used to take ephadrine every morning because I was tired and it definitely gave me a buzz.

Yes, E/C stack works very well (I've been using them this past month or two) but really, most of the stuff on the market is just caffeine and some little stuff that doesn't really matter.

foreverly

Reaction score
I've found recovery to be easier with the consumption of proteins before a massive work-out or a race.

Someone already mentioned Chocolate milk - it's probably not a bad idea, but I prefer a bubble tea with soy milk about 4 hours before the event.

I've found the electrolyte mixes with protein to be beneficial as well.

Coffee / caffeine works for some - but all it does for me is elevate my heart rate. I know that its suppose help replace glycogen faster, but for shorter races its not really beneficial.

I've found that I perform better when I'm calm & less jittery. I also feel like my endurance is stronger without it.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by virus646
Yes, E/C stack works very well (I've been using them this past month or two) but really, most of the stuff on the market is just caffeine and some little stuff that doesn't really matter.
I haven't been able to find ephedrine for some time now
blush.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
I appreciate all the responses, but most of these suggestions have beta-alanine in them including Jack3d and Black Powder. So far I've found the following:

USP Labs - Jack3d - works great but has beta-alanine
VPX - No-Shotgun - works great but has beta-alanine
MRI - Black Powder - have heard good things, has beta-alanine
Controlled Labs - White Flood - heard good things, has beta-alanine
MuscleTech - No-Xplode - stops working after a week, no beta-alanine
Gaspari Nutrition - Superpump250 - works ok, nothing special

Why no beta-alanine? Tests have shown that it helps with endurance. In fact my strength coach recommended it as it was NCAA safe and effective.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Muscle Pharm's Assault has gotten pretty decent reviews on bb.com

Never tried it myself, I prefer jack3d and white flood.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foreverly
I've found recovery to be easier with the consumption of proteins before a massive work-out or a race.

Someone already mentioned Chocolate milk - it's probably not a bad idea, but I prefer a bubble tea with soy milk about 4 hours before the event.

I've found the electrolyte mixes with protein to be beneficial as well.

Coffee / caffeine works for some - but all it does for me is elevate my heart rate. I know that its suppose help replace glycogen faster, but for shorter races its not really beneficial.

I've found that I perform better when I'm calm & less jittery. I also feel like my endurance is stronger without it.

how do you know recovery is easier? you have access to lab equipment to actually measure this? and how would compare your recovery when there a hundred other factors that you need to control? do you even know what to look for to measure "recovery?" if you're not able to answer these questions, you're likely just experiencing a placebo effect.

caffeine may or may not work for everyone. you just have to try and see how it works for you.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Moderate amount of carbs and a caffeine pill (or cup of coffee if you are sensitive to caffeine) is all you need if your dragging ass before you go to the gym. Almost all pre-workout stims contain caffeine and sugar+other **** that may or may not actually do anything. Save your money and get the same results, pretty simple really.

2balls

Reaction score
Is it proven that beta-alanine is a root cause of acne breakouts? i'm just wondering because I've been using jack3d for the past month and I noticed I've been breaking out as of lately. I never correlated the two.

flippyot

Reaction score
When I was living in China I was switched to Vega due to the lack of vitamins I wasn't getting in my diet at the time. Since switching to it I haven't used any other protein powder due to the noticeable difference in how it has affected my energy levels.

The stuff is decent and mixes rather easily and, like I said, you can notice a difference in your energy levels (you don't get a heart-thumping jolt, it's more of a gradual increase)

The only problem I had with it was when I first started I was making my mix with two scoops and this ended up giving me the *****. When I started making the mixes with just one scoop I found the ***** went away. So now I make one mix about 30 to 40 minutes before my workout and then another mix after dinner.

It's received a lot of positive reviews on BB, but the on about it being gritty is true.

coop86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2balls
Is it proven that beta-alanine is a root cause of acne breakouts? i'm just wondering because I've been using jack3d for the past month and I noticed I've been breaking out as of lately. I never correlated the two.

No it is not proven anywhere or even talked about anywhere online really. Every supp I've used with BA has caused it though and the two without BA (No-Xplode and SuperPump250) didn't.

Anyway I think I'm going to give this a try.
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6784

Also, to the coffee people, the only convenient place for me to get coffee is through a "coffee hut" and it's like $2.50 for a small cup. Even paying full GNC prices any of these supps are cheaper than that per serving.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads