• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Which is clothing...since it is what we package ourselves in.

You blew my mind!
worship.gif

Jon.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You blew my mind!
worship.gif
Jon.

Indeed, I really have no idea what he is droning on about... Jon.
That makes all of us, including methinks EG. Jon.
Jon, please use the multi quote function. Kent.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These haven't gotten enough love here... The bevel cuff
The beveled cuff is a winged cuff to show off those cuff links or add color and shape to the sleeve.
250_ties_2007_231.jpg
The skinny scarf
SKINNY SCARVES ARE ONE-QUARTER THE SIZE OF TRADITIONAL SCARVES. NO MORE BULK AND NO MORE WRAPPING.
258_ties_2007_267.jpg

lpwb32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
These haven't gotten enough love here... The bevel cuff
250_ties_2007_231.jpg
The skinny scarf
258_ties_2007_267.jpg

the beveled cuff thing is not his idea. i see jackets on display all the time with the cuffs rolled, probably to give off a casual vibe or to show that the jacket has surgeon cuffs. several examples on ralphlauren.com. the skinny scarf is ridiculous. in addition to being a fashion accessory, in situations where they are appropriate, scarves are often a NECESSITY! i like my scarves to be nice and wide so i don't freeze to death. thats like making a raincoat that doesnt have sleeves or rubber shoe covers with perforations.

eric glennie

Reaction score
IPWB. Lets be honest. I am from northern Minnesota and we dont even wear scarves. Todays scarves are for ornamental purpose only, much like a necktie. If you look at the photo on Page 14 of this forum, you will see Valentino wearing a scarf. He doesnt look like he is wearing a scarf to stay warm.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
IPWB. Lets be honest. I am from northern Minnesota and we dont even wear scarves. Todays scarves are for ornamental purpose only, much like a necktie. If you look at the photo on Page 14 of this forum, you will see Valentino wearing a scarf. He doesnt look like he is wearing a scarf to stay warm.

What kind of farcical argument is that? I lived in Canada, and trust me, you do wear scarves when it’s cold, they aren’t simply adornment because you think they are. Your opinions aren’t fact.

And why are they ornamental now, when previously they served a utilitarian function? Has something changed in human physiology to make up for the lack of scarves required? Have we evolved some sort of heating gland around our necks that renders scarves useless?

Jon.

Jon.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Yah my boyfriend is from Walker, MN and sure as **** when it hits 3 degrees he has a scarf on.

eric glennie

Reaction score
I hear you Socal. The scarf is nice when it is 3 degrees or 30 degrees below zero. There is a untilitarian function for the scarf that is very rarely used. It doesnt get that cold in many Major cities or parts of the US and even Canada . More often than not, the scarf is simple draped over the neck or under the jacket and is not covering the face or neck ( which is the utilitarian use ). So in this case where the scarf is draped over the neck just as in the case of the Valentino picture, the scarf is more ornamental than utilitarian.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hear you Socal. The scarf is nice when it is 3 degrees or 30 degrees below zero. There is a untilitarian function for the scarf that is very rarely used. It doesnt get that cold in many Major cities or parts of the US and even Canada . More often than not, the scarf is simple draped over the neck or under the jacket and is not covering the face or neck ( which is the utilitarian use ). So in this case where the scarf is draped over the neck just as in the case of the Valentino picture, the scarf is more ornamental than utilitarian.

I really think that you're mentally ill. Have you sought help?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Wow...so you mean you are telling me that you can wear scarves as decoration AND also to keep the chill off???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads