• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

..need to lose weight?

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BerniniCaCO3
Hi,

Here are a couple photos I took just now-- with a camera on a tripod, looking into the mirror on my dorm room closet door. Hey, it works for something quick&dirty like this.

It's a given that I'll have to find new pants-- but hey, there are enough other overweight people that I might unload them easily for the cheap used price I got them for.
But when I lose weight, will I lose chest circumference; or will all my shirts and jackets still fit, perhaps even better without the belly to interrupt its drape?

Onto fashion-- be gentle, as I just bought a bunch of used clothing that seemed to fit, changing from torn jeans (machine shop, not those pretorn designer jeans that I'll never understand) and faded, hole-riddled polo shirts. General advice?
For my body weight right now, are the pants a good fit, or still far too much excess fabric? Though, what looks fitted standing up has always become quite tight sitting down, for me.
Red in shoes , with red in belt, and brighter red in casual shirt? How does one pick a good sock-- I simply grabbed a pair that would blend with the beige pants.
With a less loud shirt, would this outfit look good with a classic, 2-button blazer?

thanks!
-Bernard

Just troll the clothing portions of the boards to get an idea of things you like. Personally, I don't like any of it, but I'm by no means a saucemaster, Get Smart or jpgm - I don't look at mens clothing, too stuffy
tounge.gif
. Dorm room? You look waaaay older than a college kid (I'm one too! woohoo!) The shirt doesn't fit. Anyways, the clothing doesn't matter right now as if you're planning on losing any weight, you're going to shrink out of everything that you currently own and have to rebuy anyways. Go to a nice hair place and let them have away at your hair, comb overs are for old men. Right now you're at a turning point where things are going to be awkward, clothing and exercise wise. Work on the exercise first while developing your sense of fashion because you're not going to want to buy all these expensive clothes while cutting the pounds
smile.gif

Simply put:
1) Exercise and clean up diet
2) Read SW&D or Mens Clothing forums or both (There's a lot!) - It's easiest to go through the WAYWN threads and get an idea.
3) When you're more at a weight/body composition that you want start to purchase substantial items. For now keep it to the basics.

Have fun, this is a transformation in your life that you won't regret
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
You will lose everything. It is impossible to put on enough muscle while losing enough fat to retain the chest size of your jackets. Shirts may be salvaged but only with a re-cut or possibly darting. Assuming your neck size doesn't drop more than half a size.

I suppose that depends on how much weight you lose, but I agree that if you lost 60 lb you would most likely drop at least 2" in the chest.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing your shirt sleeve length is so long because shirts that fit your trunk are generally cut for a taller man. Right now, it makes you look a bit stumpy. But I don't think I'd go changing it because you'll want to drop 50lbs.

Have you considered LASIK or contact lenses? Or a different pair of glasses, these seem to sit low on your face and make you look very.. nerdy.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to OP
Alot of people have mentioned diet and exercise.

Roger briefly mentioned your goal. I think that's an important part. Mentally, you have to prepared to go all the way. You can't skimpy out and say "I've lost my weight, time to go back".

Don't aim for 190, aim for 160. Even if you fail, it is likely you would have put in more effort than you have aiming for 190.

BerniniCaCO3

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, indeed. At the end of the week, I will spend some hours doing heavy research and set up a plan, then bring it up here once more.

Now that you mention it, yeah, the shirt is definitely too large. I'll see what else I have in my closet. And true, the shirts that do fit my torso well do all have awkwardly long sleeves. My father is 6'1", as is my uncle; I'm not sure how I ended up so short!
The other perpetual problem I have is that I can tuck a shirt in to taper nicely, but as soon as I raise my arm, I have pulled up 6" of fabric that now will hang loose on the side.

What sort of glasses do you have in mind?

Hahaha, I will take that as a compliment. I just turned 20 two months ago; but at my age looking older and more dignified is a plus. When I'm 60, I might want to look 30 again; but right now I'm aiming to look older and approach 30.

On hair-- I definitely do have more forehead exposed than most 20-year-olds, but there's no combover. That said, I haven't changed my hair style in, well, my entire life. What are my other equally conservative options; short of spiking my hair to look "hip?" With a straight, thin hair type.

thanks for the encouragement!
-Bernard Arnest

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BerniniCaCO3
Hi,
What sort of glasses do you have in mind?

Hahaha, I will take that as a compliment. I just turned 20 two months ago; but at my age looking older and more dignified is a plus. When I'm 60, I might want to look 30 again; but right now I'm aiming to look older and approach 30.

On hair-- I definitely do have more forehead exposed than most 20-year-olds, but there's no combover. That said, I haven't changed my hair style in, well, my entire life. What are my other equally conservative options; short of spiking my hair to look "hip?" With a straight, thin hair type.

thanks for the encouragement!
-Bernard Arnest

Hair and glasses: Find a girl -- There has to be one your comfortable with that you can get reliable advise from on such simple things. I personally have my head shaved so there's plenty of forehead
wink.gif

Don't be afraid to look your age, you're only young once. Enjoy it but don't get in too much trouble

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Losing weight is mostly about cutting calories, which means smaller portion sizes and eating an equal number of calories at each meal. A lot of us are guillty of eating one big meal a day (me included) -- because it's cheaper and easier!

Eliminating all sugar will help, as will cutting back a lot of the simple carbs which quickly turn into sugar once ingested: white rice, most bread, most pasta, and alcohol. If you do eat simple carbs, it should be a side dish instead of the basis for a meal.

The shirt you're wearing in the pic is way too boxy/baggy (90s style) and makes you look bigger than you really are. Looks for shirts that are snug in the shoulders -- the seam between the body and the sleeve should be at the point of your shoulder, not halfway down your arm. The sleeve on a short sleeve shirt should fall about 3-4" above your elbow.

Nice jeans in a darker color are preferable to khakis, but avoid "relaxed fit". Get the slimmest fit jeans you can fit in -- even if you have to go up a waist size.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 Cents, don't assume you have to wait untill you drop 40-50 pounds to start looking good, great, handsome, svelte, and so on (you get the picture). Our society is obsessed with the idea that only twinks look good, but anyone can be a sharp dresser. Not to get all soft and mushy pop Psyco on you but losing weight should be primary about health and how you feel. Not to say you won't drop 50 pounds but if you wait untill you do to smarten up your look, you might well end up being buried before you do. Buy clothes that fit you now, and when you lose more, buy more. Sounds too exspensive? You don't have to buy bespoke suits or Nudie jeans, just decent clothes that fit.
Finally don't think large men can look F-ing great? watch the Hustler and check out Jackie Gleason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads