• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help on CT Shirts Sizing

aa12bb

Reaction score
All,

Part 1

About to place an order on CT shirts and just want to make sure I am wearing the right cut/fit.

6'0, 189lbs, powerlifter. These are CT Shirts, Slim Fit, 16 collar, 34/35 sleeve

Sorry for google drive, imgur is blocked here at work.

Are these a little billowy for me? My issue always lies with shoulders/chest being too tight if I step down to Extra Slim, then I get crazy button pulling and tight sleeves.

Part 2

I want to order CT CASUAL shirts but they only sell them by S,M,L,XL and Classic,Slim,Extra Slim. I order Extra Slim Large before and they were choking me in the chest.

Should I go for Slim Fit - Large? My only concern is the chest is 48" I already feel I am billowing at 46". My best guess is that I need to go Slim - Fit, Large and bring em to a tailor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

papado

Reaction score
All,

Part 1

About to place an order on CT shirts and just want to make sure I am wearing the right cut/fit.

6'0, 189lbs, powerlifter. These are CT Shirts, Slim Fit, 16 collar, 34/35 sleeve

Sorry for google drive, imgur is blocked here at work.

Are these a little billowy for me? My issue always lies with shoulders/chest being too tight if I step down to Extra Slim, then I get crazy button pulling and tight sleeves.

Part 2

I want to order CT CASUAL shirts but they only sell them by S,M,L,XL and Classic,Slim,Extra Slim. I order Extra Slim Large before and they were choking me in the chest.

Should I go for Slim Fit - Large? My only concern is the chest is 48" I already feel I am billowing at 46". My best guess is that I need to go Slim - Fit, Large and bring em to a tailor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm a 16" neck, 6' tall, and around 190 as well (though not a powerlifter, but somehow I think we're similar sized as the CT slim are actually a tad snug in the chest for me) so I can perhaps aid from a similar build perspective.

For dress shirts--From what i can tell in the photo the shoulders are good and if the collar size is right for you I'd say this is the right size (if you never wear a tie and your shoulders fit in a 15.5 Slim then maybe it might slim it a little bit? but would be risky unless you can try on for certain). You can take them to a tailor for back darts (I do this on any OTR shirts which don't already have them and I believe only CT ESF has back darts already) which will clean up the body and you should have a great fitting shirt!

For casual shirts--based on the measurement chart for CT you should get extra slim fit large or a slim medium (they have the same body measurements and different sleeve lengths; likely have different shoulder widths but they are not mentioned online). Your slim fit 16 has a 46" chest and 43" waist; the two sizes I list are 45"chest and 42" waists which should be slimmer than what you have but much better than the sz16 ESF you've tried which have 43" chest!

aa12bb

Reaction score
I'm a 16" neck, 6' tall, and around 190 as well (though not a powerlifter, but somehow I think we're similar sized as the CT slim are actually a tad snug in the chest for me) so I can perhaps aid from a similar build perspective.

For dress shirts--From what i can tell in the photo the shoulders are good and if the collar size is right for you I'd say this is the right size (if you never wear a tie and your shoulders fit in a 15.5 Slim then maybe it might slim it a little bit? but would be risky unless you can try on for certain). You can take them to a tailor for back darts (I do this on any OTR shirts which don't already have them and I believe only CT ESF has back darts already) which will clean up the body and you should have a great fitting shirt!

For casual shirts--based on the measurement chart for CT you should get extra slim fit large or a slim medium (they have the same body measurements and different sleeve lengths; likely have different shoulder widths but they are not mentioned online). Your slim fit 16 has a 46" chest and 43" waist; the two sizes I list are 45"chest and 42" waists which should be slimmer than what you have but much better than the sz16 ESF you've tried which have 43" chest!

This is what I was thinking myself. ESF Large is actually a 45" chest. My only option is to go to Slim Fit Large and have a tailor bring in the sides.

Edit: I just measured an old CT shirt I am wearing now. It was Slim Fit, 16" collar, it was 45" chest and 41" waist. So Slim Fit medium should be a pretty good pick?

Last edited:

papado

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking myself. ESF Large is actually a 45" chest. My only option is to go to Slim Fit Large and have a tailor bring in the sides.

Edit: I just measured an old CT shirt I am wearing now. It was Slim Fit, 16" collar, it was 45" chest and 41" waist. So Slim Fit medium should be a pretty good pick?

It should work but as I noted it's possible the medium's shoulders could be a tad narrow/constrictive depending on your build and proportions.

Not sure where you're located but if you want step-up quality wise you may work well in the Kamakura Tokyo Slim Fit sz 16x35. The chest is around 46" per the stated measurements (again, a little snug on me but may be better for you) but the waist is around 41" and comes already with back darts. Should be a solid slim-fit assuming it works for you. They are pricey at ~$90 but solid construction and fabrics.

aa12bb

Reaction score
It should work but as I noted it's possible the medium's shoulders could be a tad narrow/constrictive depending on your build and proportions.

Not sure where you're located but if you want step-up quality wise you may work well in the Kamakura Tokyo Slim Fit sz 16x35. The chest is around 46" per the stated measurements (again, a little snug on me but may be better for you) but the waist is around 41" and comes already with back darts. Should be a solid slim-fit assuming it works for you. They are pricey at ~$90 but solid construction and fabrics.

That's actually what I was concerned about; the shoulders.

I have pretty broad shoulders (picture doesn't do it justice) which is why I thought the Extra Slim Fit Large didn't fit nice, also the arms were really snug on me. I asked CT rep and they said arms are 2 inches bigger on the Slim's vs ESF.

I'll roll the dice and grab Slim Fit Mediums and see how it goes. Worst case I exchange em. I'll probably scoop up 7-8 new ones tho .

Thanks

Garasaki

Reaction score
It sounds like you are trying to find an off the rack shirt that fits like a tailored shirt.

Good luck. If you ever find one that meets that description, stock up. I have similar problems, except not the 48" chest part. I'm 6'3", 190, jacket size 38 and my issue is always arm length vs chest diameter. A small or medium will usually fit me in the chest & shoulders but leaves about 7 inches of exposed arms (even with the longest available length sleeves). XL is about when the arms start to get right, then I literally look like I'm wearing a tent.

You're best bet is to find an off the rack shirt that fits well in the areas that are hardest/most expensive for a tailor to modify, then have a tailor modify the easy parts. Seems like you are on the right track as far as that goes.

There are

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads