• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help buying Vintage Omega

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Dragging up this old thread as I'm considering the purchase of a vintage Omega on eBay. I've read all the threads here regarding vintage watches and I'm aware of Timezone and other reputable sellers. However the prices at these sites are generally $200+ higher and out of my budget. So, I'd like to buy from eBay but do my homework so that I can minimize my risk in this transaction.

Based on what I've gathered here, I have done the following due dilligence:
  • I've checked the photos of the case/reference number and the caliber number against the Omega data base - they checked out.
  • While out the Omega database I also took a look at their picture - the hands and dial of the for sale watch look legit in comparison.
  • I've checked the serial number on the movement against Chuck Maddox's database - it checks out.
Anything else I should do?

The seller is an occassional seller of vintage watches (approx. 10/year) with 100% feedback located overseas. My intention is not to collect this watch but to wear it. So while the dial looks like it may have been restored (seller claims it has not been) this does not deter me.

Thanks in advance for your input.

kect

Reaction score
In a case similar to the first message in this thread, I was looking at an Omega Seamaster, calibre 562 and case 166.002. The Omega site only recognises case no 166.001, and this matches the 562 calibre. A search for case 166.002 fails to bring up any results at all. Is there any difference berween 166.001 and 166.002

Thanks

bjadav

Reaction score
Hi..I don't know much about Omega constellation caliber 551.As per seller description,watch is 18k solid gold,but I don't see any mark,sign or omega logo inside or outside the case back cover.Case back is complete clear.Does that mean what is fake?Can some one help me out that watch is authentic or fake?
Awaiting reply.
Thanks.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveHUK
Hi, I have just become a member and noticed your post.

I own a 1968 Seamaster day date with the 750 hack movement.

I have done alot of research into this particular movement and have found that the 750 day date movement was used in the Seamaster of the day.

A very good site with reference links to use is www.chronomaddox.com

Hope this clears up an confusion....no doubt I am a little late with my reply.

I am the original owner of an all gold Seamaster Deville from 1964.
I have not worn it in years and am going to have it cleaned and get a
a new band. The reason I stopped wearing it was that it never kept good time.
I am a fanatic about this sort of thing. It's immediate replacement was a
Timex that kept perfect time and was once inadvertently
left in a pair of jeans which went into the washing machine.
When it emerged, it had "kept on ticking" as the ads said at
the time (the 70s, I think).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads