• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advise on White dress shirts - building wardrobe

cuts

Reaction score
Hi,

Im in process of building my wardrobe with well fitted, basics clothes.

Im not rich, so I cant afford the most expensive stuff. My budget is Banana Republic prices and below.

So, I would like to buy a couple white dress shirts, that I can wear to work with dress pants, wear out on date with wife with jeans and blazer. Im looking for specefic brand shirts and links. I have read a lot, but there is so much out there, I dont know what to buy.

What do you guys recommend, for someone just starting to build wardrobe?

This site is very informative and this seems so fun!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands End is an excellent value. Button down oxfords for tie-less, and you should have something with a point or spread collar to wear with a tie. Trim fit if you're a slimmer guy.

Last edited:

cuts

Reaction score
Sounds good, ok I will checkout their site. You also suggest getting the pointed color from lands end too?

cuts

Reaction score
Im 6'0" 183lb and I guess kind of athletic

neck 16
Sleeve 34/35
Chest 41-42
Waist 32.5
Inseam 32

topos

Reaction score
Quote:
Try TM Lewin slim fit or Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit. They seem to be continuously on sale at the price point you're asking about. You're close to the same measurements as I and those both fit me quite well. If you currently own any Brooks Brothers shirts, you might find http://www.shirtdetective.com/ helpful in comparing fits. Even if you don't, if you can accurately measure an existing shirt you can get an idea how those shirts will fit.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a 32" waist, you would most likely be extra slim fit for Charles Tyrwhitt. I have a 16" neck, 42" chest and 36" waist, and I wear extra slim fit. You might even need additional tailoring.
I would go for the slimmest TM Lewin as well, I believe it is called "fitted"

cuts

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this seems to be my problem, the waist is slim, so i need to always take shirt to tailor. Ok thanks for advise guys

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With a 32" waist, you would most likely be extra slim fit for Charles Tyrwhitt. I have a 16" neck, 42" chest and 36" waist, and I wear extra slim fit. You might even need additional tailoring.
I would go for the slimmest TM Lewin as well, I believe it is called "fitted"

Completely agree for Tyrwhitt. Extra slim fit is going to look way better on you than slim fit. Tyrwhitt is also my regular shirt choice for stocking my wardrobe and I think it's one of the better values for the money. It's a lot easier to maintain a 30 shirt wardrobe when 2/3 of your wardrobe can be replaced for around $45 per shirt.

One other point on Tyrwhitt: I'd avoid their non-iron shirts if possible. There's just something a bit off about the fabric. I never felt this way with BB non-iron, even though I prefer regular dress shirts that require ironing, but also never liked the fit in BB.

cuts

Reaction score
You guys Rock this is exactly the info I need, I dont have the money to waste. Ok I will order one or 2 shirts to test, I will keep you guys posted. I will get one button down and one
Non button down shirt

cuts

Reaction score
Which weave is most popular? I see poplin and 3 other weaves. I will purchased the shirts the next time they have the 39.00 special for one plus tie.

Thanks guys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads