• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a tie recommendation for a job interview

mrmilo

Reaction score
Hello,

I know there are countless threads on this topic, but I couldn't find any recent ones that were helpful. I have my first job interview coming out of college and plan on wearing a well tailored Navy Suit, White Dress Shirt, Brown Cap Toe shoes, and a brown belt..

What I need help with is the tie. I currently have this tie in Burgundy/Navy
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BB#4-...ar_MA02079_Color=DKRD&contentpos=10&cgid=0210

But I don't know how I feel about it for a formal job interview. Any suggestions would help as I have about a month and wouldn't mind buying a new tie for the interview.

Thanks

trum01

Reaction score
I would not recommend wearing that.

Go with a maroon grenadine or maroon / green pin dot. Check out Kent Wang. The idea is to get something sharp but muted. Not something that is too bright or draws attention.

Also - black is more formal than brown. So if the job requires formal attire, go with back belt and black oxfords.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does not say a great deal about you if you are unsure even how to dress.

bc78

Reaction score
I agree with the Kent Wang recommendation. The burgundy or navy grenadine are ties you can wear with almost anything and are appropriate for interviews. Brooks has solid color ties too

I also agree that you should wear black shoes. Allen Edmonds shoebank or these will do for a reasonable price: https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4702#

If you can afford them, try this:

http://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carlos-santos/products/carlos-santos-black-dress-shoes

or this:

http://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carmina/products/carmina-work-wear

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with black shoes and a solid burgundy necktie, grenadine or a nice matte twill.

mrmilo

Reaction score
thanks for the recommendations, I really like the burgundy grenadine option. Standard is preferred over slim in a business setting correct?

mrmilo

Reaction score
I know how to dress in social settings, but I want to make sure I am aptly dressed for a business/work environment to which I have not been previously exposed to. That's why forums like this with senior members like you exist :)

mrmilo

Reaction score
I will definitely need to pickup some black dress shoes at some point anyways, thanks for the recommendations the Carlos Santos are nice and the Meermin are sharp for the price.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
3.25-3.5 is the best width for a tie, unless you are exceedingly narrow or wide.

mosivy

Reaction score
It depends on your proportions. I'm a 38R and personally I like a width of 8cm: between 3 and 3.25 inches.

Alpha11

Reaction score
The tie you have is either called a Bar tie or repp tie which is around number 3 on the formal tie list behind dot and so the design can be used in a interview however, the color is the real issue here. So if you lime the style then change the color to some like a navy.

bc78

Reaction score

3.25-3.5 is the best width for a tie, unless you are exceedingly narrow or wide.

This is accurate. If you're slim, 3 inches is totally work appropriate. I'm 5'10 and 150lbs so I always go with a 3 inch tie.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads