• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NCAA Championship 2011

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
# of minutes I have spent in Plano during my lifetime: 0
# of minutes I have thought about Plano during my lifetime before today: 0
# of minutes I have thought about Plano during my lifetime after reading the quoted post: About 1

Apparently I made the right decision. What a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE town.

Plano has become a sad, pathetic joke. I don't mind that Plano exists. Hell, I passed through Texas once, back in college. Didn't notice much. Plano wasn't famous though and we didn't raise a big fuss about how it's the crappiest place on earth (ha!). Frankly, the post above proved that Plano just isn't that interesting a place.

BTW, I don't actually mind that Plano is so horrible. I'm not a big fan of the fact that Planoians have addicted themselves to the money they make as a minor suburb of Dallas and (to a much lesser extent now) Fort Worth and Mesquite.

Hopefully after the last two or three years of really substandard reviews folks will come to understand what a poor level of life Plano puts on the map these days and stop giving it so much importance.

Why u mad?

I didn't say I had never watched college basketball. I used to be a big fan. Hated the NBA...blah, blah, blah. Then they started playing ****** basketball and claiming it was good. "The purest form of the sport." Uh...No. **** with history is just old ****.

Some of you guys should really demand a much higher standard for your entertainment dollar.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non ironic rebuttal for the tl;dr crowd:

There were plenty of fantastic, compelling games this season and in the tournament. This just wasn't one of them

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Why u mad?

I didn't say I had never watched college basketball. I used to be a big fan. Hated the NBA...blah, blah, blah. Then they started playing ****** basketball and claiming it was good. "The purest form of the sport." Uh...No. **** with history is just old ****.

Some of you guys should really demand a much higher standard for your entertainment dollar.

Mad? Not me.

I just find it laughable that you admit to watching 10 WHOLE MINUTES (!!!) of college basketball all season, and so feel somehow qualified to pass judgement on an entire season.

Best Seth Meyers/Amy Poehler voice: "Really???"....

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mad? Not me.

I just find it laughable that you admit to watching 10 WHOLE MINUTES (!!!) of college basketball all season, and so feel somehow qualified to pass judgement on an entire season.

Best Seth Davis/Amy Poehler voise: "Really???"....

They lost me years ago. Sorry. I remember when college basketball used to be good.

I'd venture to say that there's not a single former NCAA champion from more than 10 years ago that this UConn team could beat. They're really just a bad team that went on a little run. Maybe one or two from the more recent era which is also loaded with really bad teams.

I'd be very surprised if anyone on the floor last night does anything more than draw a paycheck to sit on the end of the bench in the NBA for a couple of years before they start their career in insurance.

And you think that's good basketball?

Best Seth Davis/Amy Poehler voice: "Really???"....

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, really.

Whether or not college players then make it to/in the NBA doesn't at all indicate a better college team.

Anyway, there were lots of good college games this season and during the tournament. Too bad you missed them.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, really.

Whether or not college players then make it to/in the NBA doesn't at all indicate a better college team.

Anyway, there were lots of good college games this season and during the tournament. Too bad you missed them.

Yeah, well...I miss lots of stuff.

fir3fox

Reaction score

This is probably true and I admit I missed them as well.

I tuned in for the final thinking I was going to watch two elite teams playing for the championship, I just didn't see it that way. They played hard, showed a lot of hustle and "want" to win but in the end bad basket ball is bad basketball.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the Uconn - Kentucky game was pretty damn good. I blame Butler
smile.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd venture to say that there's not a single former NCAA champion from more than 10 years ago that this UConn team could beat. They're really just a bad team that went on a little run. Maybe one or two from the more recent era which is also loaded with really bad teams.
Really? You don't think this UConn team could beat 1983 N.C. State, 1985 Villanova, or 1988 Kansas?

As these champions indicate, the tournament has always been about the team that's playing the best, not the best team. That's the tournament's appeal. You don't know what's going to happen and you don't know how it's going to end. Occasionally you end up with a turd of a championship game like last night, but most fans are willing to take that risk in exchange for the previous two weeks of excitement.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They lost me years ago. Sorry. I remember when college basketball used to be good.

I'd be very surprised if anyone on the floor last night does anything more than draw a paycheck to sit on the end of the bench in the NBA for a couple of years before they start their career in insurance.

And you think that's good basketball?

Best Seth Davis/Amy Poehler voice: "Really???"....

so no recent teams could beat any older teams? yes this year was a weaker year all around, but it still had plenty of amazing basketball. are you saying the recent memphis team with derrick rose, the uconn team from 2004-2006, 2007 florida gators, etc etc couldnt compete? i dont think you know much about college basketball.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the end of the NCAA tournament means sports is over for me until football season.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member