• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
^he is, and this is not necessarily about Kobe. I'm a huge fan, but even he was called a cancer, egomaniac, uncoachable, responsible for ruining the Lakers, etc etc just a few years ago. He couldnt win because he couldn't trust his teammates blah blah etc.

Just saying that sports can be very fickle. I thought they were full of **** when they said the above about Kobe and I think I was proved right. I choose to believe that the Heat can figure out how to trust each other given some time. Problem is, no one wants to give them any time and there's a big target on their backs

Uhh that was like 7 years ago.

I don't believe in the heat because I am not a fan of the heat therefore I don't qualify to be included in this debate. I want them to lose because Ledumdum is a dickhead and everything else venessian said.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
...Ledumdum is a dickhead....

cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Kobe would sink 8/12 game winners in those mugs there...LePunk would go 0/fer.
smile.gif

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Heat players were/are very humble when they talk about season expectations. Kobe is really ******* 'clutch' (I really hate that term), and any team would be ******* nuts to trade LeBron. Get rid of DWade and Bost before you get rid of LeBron lol

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
The Heat players were/are very humble when they talk about season expectations.

Very good point.

I was actually moved to uncontrollable tears (kind of Heat tears, I think, but those guys are so humble they'd never claim them as theirs alone) while watching "THE DECISION". I turned to my Mother Teresa poster and sobbed, "Sorry, lass, but you got absolutely nuthin' on this guy, in terms of humility. Listen and learn."

It moved me sooooo much when LeVic played the ever-so-humble race card following the reaction to..."THE DECISION".

The pre-season and early season series of snippets, tweets, statements declaring a championship on the way will be THE definition of humility in next year's Merriam-Webster, etc., etc. I think the BigDictionaries are all certainly humble enough to allow their definitions to be rewritten by the BigHumble3.

And, of course, how could one NOT feel the absolute...oh, the absolute humility!!!...of "Cry(humbly)gate"??? I mean, one would have to be a stone-cold SOB not to! Those were humility tears, if ever humility tears flowed. I saw a crocodile once...sweet, so nice, just an innocent babe and really really really humble as pie.

In fact, I hold the Heat's Big3Humility in such high regard that I immediately ordered these jerseys today. I feel so...well, humble....

bosh1.jpg

punkwu.jpg

wadec.jpg

Miami Heat press conference before the season opener:

Interviewer: "Is it championship or bust this year?"
LePunk: "Not bust. But it is championship."
D-Wade: "Ditto. Ditto. What he said."
Bosh: "Uh, uh....Ha ha ha!"

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
The Heat players were/are very humble when they talk about season expectations. Kobe is really ******* 'clutch' (I really hate that term), and any team would be ******* nuts to trade LeBron. Get rid of DWade and Bost before you get rid of LeBron lol
Get a grip. The Heat are anything but humble and deserve every bad thing that happens to them and all the hate they get. As for LeBron, he's overrated. There I said it. I've thought it for a while to. Not to say he is not a very, very good player but people talk about him like he is the best passer, the best scorer, the best defender, the best leader, and the most clutch guy in the league. He might be the guy with the single best all around game at this moment but he is not the most skilled player and there are guys better at every aspect of the game then he is. I also wonder how his game will age. He depends on brute physicality and explosiveness and that will go. I wonder if he will adapt the way Kobe and Jordan have/did? What we have seen from him is that he lacks the mental part of the game. He makes terrible decisions and has a very strange view of himself and the world around him. I don't know that he has what it takes to be honest enough to make the changes he needs to. I also wonder if he can be the rock that takes a team through thick and thin. He has certainly not shown it. Now these types of criticisms are reserved for only the rarest of players. But LeBron is one and he deserves them. What is expected of him is different than what is expected from all but a very, very few other players. Kobe number one then Durant and maybe Rose, and maaaaaybe Howard and that is it. Tim Duncan had it but he is old now. You compare him to those guys and his intangibles come up short. As for trading him, it is about putting together the best team. Take the heat as they are or dump LeBron but end up with a starting five of Lopez, D Will, Bosh, Miller, and Wade. The second team would also be deeper as you could likely pick up some rotation players and dump the dead weight at center. You would lose a single better player but would end with a stronger team. Also seeing as how badly owners would want Lebron you could **** a desperate team in a manner not seen in sports since the Cowboys took the Vikings out behind the woodshed and torn them a new corn hole.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
^I agree about LeBron being overrated but I don't think he has the single best all around game. His game in the post is a joke, and he is a 73% FT shooter. He needs to develop those areas before I'll call him the best all-around player.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
You're kidding right? LOL

Kobe is a guard..so was Jordan and the post is/was a HUGE part of their game. And I'm sorry, someone who goes to the line 8 or 9 times a game needs to at least shoot better than 80% on freebies, especially if you're supposed to be an elite player.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
He's a small forward. What sort of post game is he going to have other than a fadeaway jumper? Also, 75% FT shooting is pretty damn good.

Seriously? He's like 275 and has some moves, he should be ******* killing teams in the low post.
He should spend an entire summer playing with his back to the basket. But that would take time away from being blown by ESPN, which kind of is the problem in a nut shell.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
You're kidding right? LOL Kobe is a guard..so was Jordan and the post is/was a HUGE part of their game. And I'm sorry, someone who goes to the line 8 or 9 times a game needs to at least shoot better than 80% on freebies, especially if you're supposed to be an elite player.
Originally Posted by NorCal
Seriously? He's like 275 and has some moves, he should be ******* killing teams in the low post. He should spend an entire summer playing with his back to the basket. But that would take time away from being blown by ESPN, which kind of is the problem in a nut shell.
His entire game has always been slash to the basket, dunks, and pullup jumpers. He's never been a banger but he still averages around 7 boards a game.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
His entire game has always been slash to the basket, dunks, and pullup jumpers. He's never been a banger but he still averages around 7 boards a game.

Yes.... and that is why he needs to ADD a post up game. And the 7 boards is part of why he has a very good all around game.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
knicks baby knicks

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think either the Lakers, Celtics, Thunder, or the Bulls win the championship this year.

Then Phil Jackson "retires", and is offered a godfather offer to coach Miami and teach the triangle, or they steal/hire a jackson assistant (like brian shaw), or just bite the bullet and gamble with Larry Brown. the obvious is Pat Reily too.

They try to trade away chris bosh for a legitimate center. They missed out (along with the knicks) of making a run for kendrick perkins.

It is Lebron's 8th year, but Jordan went to UNC for three years and had 7 tough (statistically obscene but unfruitful) years being beaten by other eastern conference powers, before he got the right coach, attitude, and players around him then won multiple championships.

Kobe, Magic, and Bird were fortunate to go into the league and their teams with the pieces already there and promptly won championships. It was circumstance not just their individual talents - look at kobe his sub par teams in the 2005, 2006, 2007 (even the great ones have long stretches of wasted opportunity).

its just a media thing pair with our decreased attention spans, to the recent foibles of Lebron and Co., it happened to Jordan, it happened to Kobe 2005-2007.

But eventually Lebron win win his. If he had the talent to bring those ****** Cavs teams to 60wins and even a finals appearance then the pieces will fall into place, just not this year. He's only 26 (jordan was 28 when he won his first) and still learning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads