• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy sports jacket/blazer fit

Astaroth

Reaction score
Didnt you post this already or was it someone else posting the same jacket?

You need to see the fabric in person to be able really tell if it will look like a sports jacket or an orphaned suit jacket. Certainly from the photos it doesnt look like its going to be anywhere near casual enough to look good with jeans but potentially would be fine with more formal trousers as per the image from Suit Supply.

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes I posted this in a fit advice thread but it didn't get much attention so I thought I'd make a new thread for it.

What would you define formal trousers as? Wool trousers?

Astaroth

Reaction score
What would you define formal trousers as? Wool trousers?

The material is one of the key elements of where a trouser fit on the formal/casual spectrum but its not the only consideration. Cut, finish, pattern etc are all other important considerations

oldsmobile98

Reaction score
There is one more close-up pic of the fabric at the jacket web page here.

To me, it looks textured enough to work as a blazer. If you get it, the easiest way to differentiate it from a suit jacket is to change out the buttons so that they obviously contrast with the cloth. Smoke mother of pearl would look good. Silver or brass would work too.

This jacket is too probably nice to wear with jeans but would look good with gray wool flannel or khaki dress chinos.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered it. I expect to have it delivered early next week, maybe I'll upload some pictures then :)

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
Delivery was faster than expected! I updated the first post with pictures from when trying it on. What do you think?
I definitely think the material can work, it has sort of a black and blue twill pattern, I think it's fantastic and very light weight.

Question is, should I downsize one step? I see some minor vertical lines at the back and the shoulders are acting a bit funny when sitting down. Arm length could perhaps be slightly shorter. Can a tailor shorten the arm by like 5-10mm even though it has surgeon buttons without moving the buttons? I'd rather not have them shorten from the shoulder as that is very pricey.

As always, your help is much appreciated :)

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
Anyone? :)

I mainly have to questions:

1. Is the fit good enough for a keep (perhaps with some alterations) or should I return it while I still can?
2. As seen in the pictures you can see a small bit of cuff, but with some of my shirts the arms are just a slight shorter and then no cuff is seen when arm is completely relaxed. So is it possible to shorten the arms by about 1 cm (0,4 inches) even though it has working buttons? I mean the buttons will obviously go down 1 cm closer to the cuff but is that really a big deal?

oldsmobile98

Reaction score
Shortening by 1cm should be fine. The standard distance from the center of the closest button to the end of the sleeve is usually 1.25 inches, or 32 mm. Suitsupply actually may make theirs a bit longer than this to allow for small alterations like yours. I wouldnt alter closer than about 1 inch from the end of the sleeve to the center of the closest button.

I don't think I would go down a size. In your first pic you can see the faint lines extending from the button, which means it shouldn't be any tighter. I would take it to a good tailor and ask their opinion on the alterations you suggested. Also you can post in the alterations thread somewhere here.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

Reaction score
Shortening by 1cm should be fine. The standard distance from the center of the closest button to the end of the sleeve is usually 1.25 inches, or 32 mm. Suitsupply actually may make theirs a bit longer than this to allow for small alterations like yours. I wouldnt alter closer than about 1 inch from the end of the sleeve to the center of the closest button.

I don't think I would go down a size. In your first pic you can see the faint lines extending from the button, which means it shouldn't be any tighter. I would take it to a good tailor and ask their opinion on the alterations you suggested. Also you can post in the alterations thread somewhere here.
I just measured and indeed the distance between center of lowest button to sleeve is a good 42 mm (1.65 inches), so a 10 mm reduction should be within margin without looking silly.
I didn't know there was a specific alterations thread, I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks for helping :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member