• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new custom briefcase--JP Marcellino

Joel45

Reaction score
I had been looking for a new bag for quite a while—spent quite a bit of time perusing this and other forums, looking for “the perfect bag.” One of the most helpful things I found were lists of who you guys considered to be the best/top bag makers, as well as pretty informative reviews and comparisons of different, along with photos. Man, I spent a lot of time looking at different bag makers and reading reviews. All those discussions and pictures eventually led me to look pretty hard at JP Marcellino bags—Joe is the owner there. It was on this website that I first saw some of his bags. I figured I would return the favor and post my own review in hopes that some of you find it useful. My pictures don’t so the bag justice, but below is a link to really good pictures in a blog that JPM posted of the build process.

I looked pretty extensively at a lot of bags, trying to find something that would be a bag I could use for the rest of my career—15 years or so, and that would age really well. I spend about half my time in the office, and the other half at client offices, so I am out and about quite a bit. I am not the gentlest guy on stuff, and I wanted something that would look good as it picked up the inevitable scratches and wear. Some of the other bags I looked at included Mitchell, SAB, and other similar brands. Ultimately what made me settle on JPM was the fact that I could customize it pretty much any way I wanted. He had a pretty extensive array of bags he offered, in a really wide variety of leathers and colors, with enough options to make it really hard to choose.

I was looking to replace a Saddleback Leather bag, which was starting to look a little too rustic for the office and for use at clients. I had the classic Saddleback bag in dark coffee brown, which was a pretty large and bulky bag (bottom was about 9” deep), which was looking a little too outdoorsy. I wanted a trimmer bag, but pretty quickly recognized as I looked at bridle leather bags that a 4” bag was way too small. JPM had several bags in his lineup that were 6” deep, which I felt was as large as I wanted to go.

For me, I definitely needed a computer bag—so I knew I had to have a dedicated compartment for a computer. I also typically carry about 1.5” to 2” thickness of documents with me, so I wanted a separate compartment for papers. I also am out and about enough I always need to have a laptop charger, cord, mouse, and the other odds and ends you typically carry in a computer bag. I didn’t want those items bending up documents, so I figured a three compartment bag would be just the ticket. I figured a couple organizer pockets in the compartment for odds and ends would be helpful.

After spending some time looking at JPM’s bags, I realized that there were two or three of his bags that each had things I was looking for, plus I had some ideas of my own. Joe and I traded emails back and forth for about a week, sending pictures and ideas back and forth as we put together exactly what I was after. I learned what a true “bespoke” process is really like working with Joe. He was very easy to work with, extremely responsive (I think he replied to every email the same day, and we often traded several emails each day), had great ideas, and couldn’t have been more accommodating.

I think we spent about a week figuring out exactly what was best—deciding details like how the top handle construction would work, the shape and size of straps, how straps would work with the magazine pocket, how the shoulder strap would attach to the bag, which pockets in the bag would be lined, the type of lock, latches, and on and on. I really enjoyed the process, getting to decide all of these things, as opposed to purchasing something already made, or just ordering what someone else thought was right for me. The things that were important to me included 1) the bag needed to be super sturdy; 2) made from thick bridle leather; 3) be easy to open and close; 4) have a classic but professional look; 5) be customizable to how I wanted it.

The leather of the bag is beautiful—it is a dark shiny black and it very thick and stiff. The leather is very well conditioned and still has a bit of a waxy feel to it. The lock and latches are also very well made and are both of his own design. The stitching is very well executed with no imperfections. The handle stitching underneath is amazing. The bag has all of the custom handmade touches that you would expect, like the back of the lock being lined with leather, all of the stitching is done by hand, and all the edges being finished in a glossy black finish. It definitely feels and has the image of a handmade bag, as opposed to a machine made item.

The bag is very stiff and stands up easily by itself. I supposed the leather with eventually soften up some and break in, but I don’t expect it for a long time (maybe towards the end of one of my kids careers, which I hope get to fight over this bag someday). One of the things I struggled with deciding the most was the closures on the bag. I typically see these type of bridle leather bags with leather straps and buckles on them. The Saddleback Leather bag I was using also had buckles and straps on it, and to be frank—they drove me crazy. I am in and out of my bag a lot and found straps and buckles frustrating. Joe offers a unique latch that I opted for, along with a pretty cool combination lock that allows me to open and close the bag really quick. Much easier to use than buckles and straps, and I really like the look.

Joe and I customized this bag enough that he decided to include the build process on his blog with pictures. Being able to watch this bag go together and seeing pictures and descriptions of the process made this twice as much fun. I checked that blog over and over watching for updates. It was pretty exciting when a new update was posted and I could see the bag that we had put together coming to life. Here is a link to the blog he did—it has some very good info on the leather and processes that he uses. And you get to see my bag go together!

http://marcellinobriefcase.com/2015/01/29/custom-triple-gusset-uk-english-bridle-leather-briefcase/

So, would I change anything? Did I get it perfect? Hmm. Good question. If I could go back, I might have made the middle computer pocket 2” instead of 1.5”—that would have let me slide my iPad in there as well—didn’t think about that at the time. I was definitely trying to keep the size of the bag manageable, so that is a bit of a tossup. For a bit I wished I had put three, as opposed to two, organizational pockets in the front compartment—but I am glad I didn’t because it lets me slide a couple organizational pouches in there that holds pens and stuff, which is much handier. Also, the bridle leather is so tough and the interior finish of it is so nice I probably wouldn’t have bothered to line the computer pocket in calf (though the color us beautiful and really compliments the black bag). Time will tell how much I like the latches as compared to buckles and straps.

I am a pretty fussy guy and to please me takes some real effort (don’t get my wife started on this). I am genuinely really happy with the bag. This bag is at the top tier in terms of quality of materials and craftsmanship. In the end, I got exactly what I wanted—and I really, really like this bag.

Happy to answer any questions people have.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krow13