• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My modest shoe collection

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think would be nice additions? I'm thinking of getting this pair. I know it's very unimaginative but still find the shoe quite attractive for business casual:
SFN3768_mh.jpg
I own that same pair and I have to say they have held up well. I used to wear them a lot more either simply with jeans, or with more dressed-up clothes. I wear them a little less now because I think the bit looks a little pretentious for some reason - though that's just my opinion.

newyorker

Reaction score
I wear them a little less now because I think the bit looks a little pretentious for some reason - though that's just my opinion.
I think you're right, and I frankly think that many people who wear bit loafers are actually quite open about being slightly elitist.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you, my next step would be to upgrade the pair of black cap toes. Personally, I like monk straps a lot and would choose a pair of them.

Also, why not throw a pair of chelsea ankle boots into the line-up?

How about a pair of cordovan-colored shoes?

Maybe a brown suede loafer?

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC04067.JPG
This is my latest shoe purchase, looks very nice with a navy or even a black pin-stripe suit/pants. I'm in my early twenties and think these look a bit 'younger' than the shoes the Topic Starter posted.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice. What brand are they? The look Italian.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look nice, Roy, but I'll fear they'll fly apart.  There are so many flashy shoes out there--take your cash as fast as a bug zapper fries mossies.  Describe the leather and construction, if you would.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are from the Orange Lined Santoni Fatte a Mano collection which means that the construction is something called Blake Rapid.
6.jpg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roy,

Thank you for the response and picture. This is very helpful. I am heading to Paris in June to pick up some shoes and would appreciate any suggestions. I believe your taste in shoes is akin to mine.

Regards,

John

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roy, Thank you for the response and picture. Â This is very helpful. Â I am heading to Paris in June to pick up some shoes and would appreciate any suggestions. Â I believe your taste in shoes is akin to mine. Regards, John
We're on this board to learn and discuss isn't it?
smile.gif
I had a blast in Galeries Lafayette on bd. Haussman, they have two separate warehouses. One for men, and one for women (about two times the size of the mens warehouse). But they have a very nice shoe department with amongst others Santoni, Stefano Bi, Prada (not the best in terms of construction though) Church, and so many other brands. This is their website: Galeries Lafayette Paris, can't wait to get back there again
smile.gif
Also check out the St. HonorÃ
00a9.png
, Place Vendome (charvet...), rue marbeauf (berluti/kiton) and George V (zegna and i think also Brioni). Lots and lots of nice stores. Maybe some parisiens (ernest?) know of hidden gems in the city as I am also just a tourist.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JA- The Fatte A Mano line, even the orange sock-liner blake rapid shoes, are very good quality. They will wear differently than British shoes--the soles are probably similar for stylistic reasons--but that doesn't mean the uppers are going to instantly fall apart. Newyorker- Please check out the Alden post I placed on the B&S forum. I have no commercial interest in that featured company, however, 50% off the floating medallion Aldens would be a nice addition to your fledging shoe collection. An upgraded black captoe might also be a good idea. Heck, for the price you can't really go wrong. Matt

newyorker

Reaction score
(newyorker @ May 15 2005,01:17) Do you like them?
Not at all. But where are the shoetrees?
I would get offended if you weren't so funny
smile.gif
But you guys are definitely a patronizing bunch..
smile.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ May 16 2005,06:30)
Originally Posted by newyorker,May 15 2005,01:17
Do you like them?
Not at all. But where are the shoetrees?
I would get offended if you weren't so funny
smile.gif
But you guys are definitely a patronizing bunch..
smile.gif

Offended by what ? If you are not capable to hear a reply you don't like, don't ask any question. I will explain why I don't like these shoes = 1) Practical for shopping to Walmart or going to cinema but poor style and poor construction. I could wear them for these activities but would never pay for them. I prefer a pair of sneakers for the same price. 2) Basic brown derby = Casual shoes for countryside. Shape is not too bad and construction seems correct. Would be perfect for a guy of 50. Looks odd on a guy of 20, ridiculious with a jeans, odd with a suit. 3) Loafer = casual so I hope you don't wear them with a suit. I don't like loafer because they look rather bad on feet (you see the socks, they open when you walk), they don't look masculine enough (looks like escarpins for women) and they are not dressy at all. Look at dressed up renecks in wedding or fiestas, what do they most of time wear ? Loafers . I may appreciate the shape of some loafer though but I dislike these ones as they are not shaped enough (look like a giant condom) and they look tacky because of the metal on them (look at me, I have designer shoes......) They would be great for a grandfather whose feets hurt. 4) Color and sytle (oxford) are great but the shape is ugly (like clown shoes) and the construction shoddy (for the price you can not have a good construction)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads