• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murl the Squirl's Adventure Across the Pond

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Still in Manchester? I don't know if Private White V.C. have a shop there as well, but all their stuff is made in Manchester. In that case, they're definitely worth a visit.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Still in Manchester? I don't know if Private White V.C. have a shop there as well, but all their stuff is made in Manchester. In that case, they're definitely worth a visit.

I'll be all over the place, but my hotel is here until Monday. I'll check them out if I get a chance.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great day today with Cleav in Northampton. First stop was Edward Green where I scored these amazing Chestnut Utah Galway on the 82 last. I had absolutely no plans on buying a pair of boots, but how could I pass these up! I've wanted a pair of Ashby for a couple years now, but none in my size unfortunately. Can't complain though...love these boots! Staff at the shop were wonderful.

Off to Crockett and Jones after lunch where Cleav was lucky enough to score a pair of pebble Pembroke...the exact shoe I was hoping to find! I can't be too upset though because he was hoping for a pair of Galway at EG, but none in his size. So in the end, we walked away with a pair of shoes the other was hoping to find, but very happy nonetheless.

We also stopped by Lobb, which I've never been too crazy about. The factory shop was quite a mess and you had to open box after box to see what was inside. Absolutely nothing worth considering for me....some real hideous makeups in my size. Cleav almost found a nice dark brown pebble chukka, but they were a bit too big.

After Northampton, I had the pleasure of driving with Cleav to his hometown and having some beers at "the club". Great experience and plenty of laughs. That's about all I have today. I have more pictures, but I'll have to transfer them from the phone. If none of this makes sense and it's full of typos, I apologize. I'm jet lagged and exhausted. Match day tomorrow...Glory glory Man United!

Last edited:

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
Amazing boots. Wise purchase, in my opinion. I know I couldn't leave those behind without them haunting me.

The Man United game should be a great time.

Last edited:

rms340

Reaction score
Watching the match right now and trying to spot you and @Cleav in the stands
1f605.png

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Watching the match right now and trying to spot you and @Cleav in the stands
1f605.png

Complete **** of a match and result, but an amazing day. I seriously owe Cleav a vital organ or two!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^ box seats?

Not ours, but you could say we got a proper "backstage" tour. Our seats were great though...I zoomed in a bit here.

Yes, I'm wearing Clarks boots...don't judge me.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^nothing wrong with clarks. just not to be worn with suits.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, C. Wish I coulda been there too!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After about 6 hours worth of train travel today (not including the tube), I'm back at the hotel in Manchester. Got into London around noon was picked up by Shaya at the station. From there, we headed to his shop so I could check out his goods. I knew going in I didn't want to keep him long...being Sunday and all. We ended spending about an hour and a half together chatting and looking through the amazing things he stocks. I walked out of there with a great green donegal tie from Capelli, a pair of Merz socks, and some toothpaste I just had to try. To some pictures then:

I love this jacket...wish it got cold in California.

Scott and Charters thick and wonderful cashmere scarf.....again, something I'll never need but would love to have.

My favorite of the Valstar jackets.

After meeting with Shaya, I headed to Sloane Square to meet up with Harry from HN White Ties. He met me at the station and we took a short walk to a great little London pub. He was nice enough to bring some of his current ties and swatches/pictures of what he will be offering in January...some great stuff! We spent about three hours chatting and having a few pints. A couple snaps from the pub:

I went home with the brown print (a very generous gift) and put in an order to have another sent back to CA. I'll also be grabbing one of the burgundy/navy block stripes when they hit the shelves. He really has some great stuff. The hand rolling on the wool ties was especially exceptional.

Sad to say that nothing on Saville Row is open on Sundays....never crossed my mind that would be the case. Oh well, no regrets whatsoever as I had a great time with Shaya and Harry. I would much rather spend time with some great people than wander around shops by myself. I did make it that way before I had to head back to the train and managed to take some shots. The entire Piccadilly Circus/Burlington Arcade area is amazing at this time of year.

What I'm taking home from today:

I'd like to give a huge thank you to @davesmith and @hnwhite for taking time out of their Sunday to show me what they have to offer. It was an absolute pleasure to meet the both of them I look forward to seeing them again sometime in the future. We have some great vendors on this forum that also make for some great company.

Like I mentioned when I started this thread, this whole purpose of this trip was to take in a football match with @Cleav . The couple days I got to spend with him were amazing...he is every bit the charming and stylish English gentleman he appears to be on the forum. The United match was a dream come true for me.

Alright guys, that's it. I know I'm not much of a writer and I didn't get to show you as much as I planned, but I hope you enjoyed it a bit. I'll meet up with Steed in February and make sure to this again. Cheers -Cody

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Glad you had a great time my friend, I certainly did and you will be forever welcome around these parts. The lads, Gerry amongst them, are already asking when you're back!

Safe trip home!

Please tell Gerry thanks again for me. Would love to have many more pints with the man...he's a riot! Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads