• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Waistcoat - how much perfection is necessary

Aberdeener

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding a recently purchased MTM waistcoat (as part of a 3piece suit) and the degree of perfection which should be expected. The waistcoat fits fine, but i realized that on the back the seam of the collar (made from wool) and the seam of the satin back are not aligned. Lacking experience on what realistically to expect, I was wondering if this needs fixing or if this is a non-issue. This is probably a trivial question, but I would appreciate any input very much.

Thanks in advance.

Since my camera is broken i added a reference a picture i found online showing a waistcoat with the same potential issue.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks a non-issue to me and I would not be sure if more precise cutting and sewing is even possible with this rather delicate material used for the back of the vest.

More important: this part is not to be seen by anyone (like the lining of the coat) because you will wear the suit coat on top, which is supposed to stay on.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks a non-issue to me and I would not be sure if more precise cutting and sewing is even possible with this rather delicate material used for the back of the vest.

More important: this part is not to be seen by anyone (like the lining of the coat) because you will wear the suit coat on top, which is supposed to stay on.

Bolded and underlined for emphasis.

It is precisely the unseen parts where the one can and should pass judgment on quality.
The seam misalignment can potentially be seen. Who knows what other corners where cut.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who knows what other corners where cut.

The pure presence of the collar made from worsted wool is actually a sign that corners were NOT cut. Most waistcoats (even from high end brands or makers) actually come without this feature and have the back made from Bemberg only.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads