• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM suit NYC

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on where to get a MTM suit in NYC. I need a good standard navy blue suit for weddings/formal events etc.. and would love to find one that would last for a while and fits well.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. Any advice on what should my price expectations be for a straightforward MTM suit like that?

I was hoping for something in the $1.5k to $2k range given that this is a straightforward navy suit but a number of the MTM options in that thread are in the $3k to $4k range and that's the price i could be getting a bespoke suit made by someone like Assisi who are in the $3800 range for a bespoke suit and are visiting NYC in April

perlustrator

Reaction score
Any advice on what should my price expectations be for a straightforward MTM suit like that?

I was hoping for something in the $1.5k to $2k range

I think $1.5k – $2k is the baseline. Once you start getting into the fabrics and details though, things can get pricey.

But for a standard navy wool suit, I think that's reasonable. I'd suggest calling and checking your budget with a few places, and then you can make the appointment if it's a match.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. Any advice on what should my price expectations be for a straightforward MTM suit like that?

I was hoping for something in the $1.5k to $2k range given that this is a straightforward navy suit but a number of the MTM options in that thread are in the $3k to $4k range and that's the price i could be getting a bespoke suit made by someone like Assisi who are in the $3800 range for a bespoke suit and are visiting NYC in April

For $1.5-2K in NYC, I'd check out Sartoria Carrara at No Man Walks Alone (Florentine style), PML at Leffot (Neapolitan style), or Divij Hemrajani (closer to a classic British style, but also flexible) who visits 4ish times a year

Ardvatar

Reaction score
For $1.5-2K in NYC, I'd check out Sartoria Carrara at No Man Walks Alone (Florentine style), PML at Leffot (Neapolitan style), or Divij Hemrajani (closer to a classic British style, but also flexible) who visits 4ish times a year
Best examples of the differences between these styles for a fashion newcomer trying to find the best suits for his tastes?

epsilon22

Reaction score
Do you actually need MTM? You can get some RTW Ring Jacket models at The Armoury within that budget (free alterations included), but MTM would be quite a bit more than that.

Save the MTM budget for when you already know what you like/dislike, every shop selling tailored clothing would have some basic navy suits, and you can more easily compare different styles when you have finished products to try on.

Reaction score
I wish I could fit in RTW but I am skinny and have 37” arms, so nothing RTW works for me and most suits don’t have enough extra fabric in the sleeves to alter the arms to fit.

I checked some of the suggested options here and these are the current rates:
- PML ~$1700 via a trunk show in May.
- No man walks alone sartoria carrera ~$1800 available all year and takes about 8 weeks.

Ardvatar

Reaction score
Do you actually need MTM? You can get some RTW Ring Jacket models at The Armoury within that budget (free alterations included), but MTM would be quite a bit more than that.

Save the MTM budget for when you already know what you like/dislike, every shop selling tailored clothing would have some basic navy suits, and you can more easily compare different styles when you have finished products to try on.
Similar to OP, I think it’s difficult for me to fit RTW. My proportions are a little weird but I do plan on stopping by the armoury today actually. Hopefully some of their RTW stuff fits. I have a 50” chest and 40” waist. My arms are 33” though so hopefully they can make it work because I do like all the styles they have to offer at the armoury.

I went to Mohan and Enzo’s and they do MTM at the $1000 price points and a little higher for the nicer fabrics. For two super 150s and a super 110 suit at Mohan, they quoted me 2900. At Enzo’s, same price but they offered their in house fabric 2 ply super 130(iirc) and super 110 for 3 suits. Similar price points but Mohan left me feeling worried. There were dog treats littered on the floor, the older gentleman who measured me didn’t tell me much about the process or his style. Enzo felt a little more of what I expected for a $3000 experience but felt a little more manufactured although I’m sure Mohan is making their suits in a similar fashion.

epsilon22

Reaction score
Similar to OP, I think it’s difficult for me to fit RTW. My proportions are a little weird but I do plan on stopping by the armoury today actually. Hopefully some of their RTW stuff fits. I have a 50” chest and 40” waist. My arms are 33” though so hopefully they can make it work because I do like all the styles they have to offer at the armoury.

I went to Mohan and Enzo’s and they do MTM at the $1000 price points and a little higher for the nicer fabrics. For two super 150s and a super 110 suit at Mohan, they quoted me 2900. At Enzo’s, same price but they offered their in house fabric 2 ply super 130(iirc) and super 110 for 3 suits. Similar price points but Mohan left me feeling worried. There were dog treats littered on the floor, the older gentleman who measured me didn’t tell me much about the process or his style. Enzo felt a little more of what I expected for a $3000 experience but felt a little more manufactured although I’m sure Mohan is making their suits in a similar fashion.
That's fair, you're definitely outside the typical size range offered by shops.

Your concern is definitely one drawback about going custom, even bespoke, you can't see the final product until you've paid and waited months for it.

I went MTM for my first two nice suits but I lucked out in that I picked a tailor with good sense and taste so they were able to steer me away from questionable choices. 5 years later, even if my taste has evolved a bit, I still think my old suits look good.

Ardvatar

Reaction score
That's fair, you're definitely outside the typical size range offered by shops.

Your concern is definitely one drawback about going custom, even bespoke, you can't see the final product until you've paid and waited months for it.

I went MTM for my first two nice suits but I lucked out in that I picked a tailor with good sense and taste so they were able to steer me away from questionable choices. 5 years later, even if my taste has evolved a bit, I still think my old suits look good.
Yeah sadly they only had two Euro size 58s to try in model 3 and “15”, is what I was told but don’t see a model 15 on the website. Both fit my arms and shoulders but were tight around my mid section. Sounds like I’d have to go MTM at the armoury for my size.

The search continues. I think I’ll check Kent Wang, Black Lapel, and No Man Walks Alone as well then settle for whichever I think may be best.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best examples of the differences between these styles for a fashion newcomer trying to find the best suits for his tastes?

I would suggest checking out their Instagram handles, NMWA (the tailored pieces as opposed to the general stuff) and PML both showcase a good amount examples. Divij's IG is a bit too model-y to get a good sense, but I'd check out the styleafter50 IG handle, I believe most of Andy's stuff is Divij-made at this point.

Ardvatar

Reaction score
I would suggest checking out their Instagram handles, NMWA (the tailored pieces as opposed to the general stuff) and PML both showcase a good amount examples. Divij's IG is a bit too model-y to get a good sense, but I'd check out the styleafter50 IG handle, I believe most of Andy's stuff is Divij-made at this point.
Will do! Appreciate the help. Been to a few different locations now and want to make sure I get something I’ll really love at my budget point.

Ardvatar

Reaction score
Are you in NYC?
Yes, been to Mohan Enzo and The Armoury. I posted my experiences above. Below were my experiences so far. I am in the $1000-1500 per suit range. Willing to go cheaper for a black suit as it likely won’t get as much mileage. Charcoal and Navy/Dark Blue for the other two.

Yeah sadly they only had two Euro size 58s to try in model 3 and “15”, is what I was told but don’t see a model 15 on the website. Both fit my arms and shoulders but were tight around my mid section. Sounds like I’d have to go MTM at the armoury for my size.

The search continues. I think I’ll check Kent Wang, Black Lapel, and No Man Walks Alone as well then settle for whichever I think may be best.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dialdesk