• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirtmakers in London

george45

Reaction score
I am trying to create an updated list of MTM shirtmakers in London, along with their 2019 pricing.

Any comments on any of them are welcome.

First, some new 'generic' entries in the MTM space. These places mostly do MTM suits, but can also do shirts. Are these places worth it?

Edit Suits. MTM shirts from £119

Artefact London. MTM shirts £160-250

Cad & Dandy. MTM shirts, £150-200

Norton & Townsend. MTM shirts from £150

Tailor Made London. MTM shirts from £180

Some more traditional shirtmakers:

Stephan Haroutunian: This used to be good quality at a very decent price. However as far as I understand it has changed owners and staff, so unsure of the recent quality after 2016 or so. Any comments welcome. Shirts seem to start at £120 now.

Taliare: This is run by Erlend Norby, who was previously the manager at Stepan Haroutunian. Site seems good and mentions a £140 starting price.

Henry Herbert tailoring: from £185

Saville Row Company: This is interesting, you can do everything online, picking even very small details on the website, fully online. But they also have a shop in Saville Row. Prices seem very low, sometimes under £100 so unsure how this works and what's the quality like.

Finally the well known brick and mortar shirt shops of Jermyn St and Saville Row:

Grosvenor, Jermyn St. MTM shirts from £165, minimum order 2.

New & Lingwood. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing.

Hilditch & Key. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing.

Harvie & Hudson. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing (probably from £245+)

Emmet. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing.

Nino's, Piccadilly Circus. Unsure about pricing.

Ede & Ravenscrof. Saville Row. Unsure about pricing.

Gieves & Hawkes. Saville Row. Unsure about pricing.

Chester Barrie. Saville Row. Unsure about pricing.

Drake’s. Saville Row. MTM order can also be done online. £195

Turnbull & Asser - Saville Row. MTM starts at £255

Emma Willis: £260-£350

Budd Shirts: £255

Sean O' Flynn: Unsure about pricing, but probably £250+

Scabal MTM: From £240+

I'm sure this is not a complete list, feel free to suggest more.

Comments and experiences of any of them are welcome, especially on the lower budget range, under £160. It seems exceedingly hard to find an MTM shirt in london on that budget. Interestingly enough, most of the established shirtmakers sell Ready To Wear shirts at that price point, around £140-160.

Assuming you want a nice white formal shirt, would you go for an MTM shirt in the under £160 category at any of the Stephan, Taliare, EditSuits, Artefact, Cad & Dandy, or Norton & Townsend?

Or would it be better to try to find the best fitting RTW and do alterations for about the same price?

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score
Some of your list is bespoke & some mtm, while some places offer both, mtm & bespoke. You missed other shirt options, although they are above your price range.

I tried two shirts from Stephan over 5 yrs ago, the stitching was off in places & was not worth the cost. I was better off getting rtw altered instead.

I have used Cad & Dandy in the past for odd trousers, the shirt examples I did see from them were good for the price range.

Places like Edes & Ravenscroft and Gieves and Hawkes will have offers during the sale periods.

Personally, I would rather spend £150 on mtm than £120 on rtw and getting it altered

Reaction score
I am trying to create an updated list of MTM shirtmakers in London, along with their 2019 pricing.

Any comments on any of them are welcome.

First, some new 'generic' entries in the MTM space. These places mostly do MTM suits, but can also do shirts. Are these places worth it?

Edit Suits. MTM shirts from £119

Artefact London. MTM shirts £160-250

Cad & Dandy. MTM shirts, £150-200

Norton & Townsend. MTM shirts from £150

Tailor Made London. MTM shirts from £180

Some more traditional shirtmakers:

Stephan Haroutunian: This used to be good quality at a very decent price. However as far as I understand it has changed owners and staff, so unsure of the recent quality after 2016 or so. Any comments welcome. Shirts seem to start at £120 now.

Taliare: This is run by Erlend Norby, who was previously the manager at Stepan Haroutunian. Site seems good and mentions a £140 starting price.

Henry Herbert tailoring: from £185

Saville Row Company: This is interesting, you can do everything online, picking even very small details on the website, fully online. But they also have a shop in Saville Row. Prices seem very low, sometimes under £100 so unsure how this works and what's the quality like.

Finally the well known brick and mortar shirt shops of Jermyn St and Saville Row:

Grosvenor, Jermyn St. MTM shirts from £165, minimum order 2.

New & Lingwood. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing.

Hilditch & Key. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing.

Harvie & Hudson. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing (probably from £245+)

Emmet. Jermyn St. Unsure about pricing.

Nino's, Piccadilly Circus. Unsure about pricing.

Ede & Ravenscrof. Saville Row. Unsure about pricing.

Gieves & Hawkes. Saville Row. Unsure about pricing.

Chester Barrie. Saville Row. Unsure about pricing.

Drake’s. Saville Row. MTM order can also be done online. £195

Turnbull & Asser - Saville Row. MTM starts at £255

Emma Willis: £260-£350

Budd Shirts: £255

Sean O' Flynn: Unsure about pricing, but probably £250+

Scabal MTM: From £240+

I'm sure this is not a complete list, feel free to suggest more.

Comments and experiences of any of them are welcome, especially on the lower budget range, under £160. It seems exceedingly hard to find an MTM shirt in london on that budget. Interestingly enough, most of the established shirtmakers sell Ready To Wear shirts at that price point, around £140-160.

Assuming you want a nice white formal shirt, would you go for an MTM shirt in the under £160 category at any of the Stephan, Taliare, EditSuits, Artefact, Cad & Dandy, or Norton & Townsend?

Or would it be better to try to find the best fitting RTW and do alterations for about the same price?

Reaction score
I have tried Emmet's on Jermyn St before with mixed results, the shirts were ok for the price point I think about 180ish from memory.

Tailor Made's shirts are pretty good but abit much at 180 for a made in China shirt.

I have tried a shop I found in Spitalfields called Casual Fitters, shirts were 120 and made in Spain. Nothing out of this world but pretty good for the price point.

Always better to get MTM that RTW and start with alterations as it often doesn't turn out as expected.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
I have tried Emmet's on Jermyn St before with mixed results, the shirts were ok for the price point I think about 180ish from memory.

Tailor Made's shirts are pretty good but abit much at 180 for a made in China shirt.

I have tried a shop I found in Spitalfields called Casual Fitters, shirts were 120 and made in Spain. Nothing out of this world but pretty good for the price point.

Always better to get MTM that RTW and start with alterations as it often doesn't turn out as expected.

Quite interested in the Casual Fitters trousers / chinos - look pretty good value and there aren’t many or even any other similar offerings out there. Anyone tried these?

Reaction score
Quite interested in the Casual Fitters trousers / chinos - look pretty good value and there aren’t many or even any other similar offerings out there. Anyone tried these?

Yes, I got some trousers when I got my shirts, I think the guy who owns it name is Jason, pretty nice guy, seemed to know his stuff,

I got wool flannel trousers in November last year, held up pretty well over winter and I was happy with the fit, they aren't comparable to £400 bespoke trousers, but I think pretty good value, I have reordered since.

I think they have recently launched suiting, anyone ordered there suiting yet? would be interested to hear about experience, fit & quality

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Based in London for measurements, however an online store, Apposta shirts are made to measure, made in Italy, and made in two weeks! By creating a measurement profile, you're guaranteed a consistent fit regardless of design, select from a range of 3000 fabrics or simply customize a shirt to a more personal style and receive your shirt wherever you are in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads