• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM in NYC for around $1,000: Mr. Ned?

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JT82
There are rows of fabrics on-site; all different weights. I've heard from others that he is willing to do CMT as well.

Yes, I asked about CMT and that is something he is willing to do. I forget the price he quoted me but I think it was $600 or $650.

goldknots

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he can order the fabrics you would want, I can inquire when I head back.

uluvbs

Reaction score
He made a coat for me, and I would not go back. It wasn't a total disaster, per se, but I really didn't enjoy the experience, and I am not happy with the coat.

I do not have a lot of experience getting stuff custom-made in general, but I would prefer to take my chances elsewhere.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs
He made a coat for me, and I would not go back. It wasn't a total disaster, per se, but I really didn't enjoy the experience, and I am not happy with the coat.

I do not have a lot of experience getting stuff custom-made in general, but I would prefer to take my chances elsewhere.

Can you elaborate more on exactly what went wrong and what you didn't enjoy?

goldknots

Reaction score
went in to commission my suit today, I will post pics as it progresses.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
went in to commission my suit today, I will post pics as it progresses.

Look forward to seeing the pics. Can you tell us what details you decided to go with?

goldknots

Reaction score
Year round 120's, navy blue 2 button, double vent, pick stitched lapels, surgeon cuffs, single pleat pants with brace buttons (I like braces)m 2 inch cuffs and the lining done in royal purple

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
Year round 120's, navy blue 2 button, double vent, pick stitched lapels, surgeon cuffs, single pleat pants with brace buttons (I like braces)m 2 inch cuffs and the lining done in royal purple

When I was there last weekend the gentleman in front of me was told that everyone always gets 1.5" cuffs, it is the only way to go- he consented. When I ordered my trousers with 2" cuffs, they looked at me like I was crazy.

looking forward to seeing your pics. what kind of shoulder did you select? they seem to favor a more structured shoulder.

goldknots

Reaction score
I went with the standard shoulder but had it narrowed down a bit, I don't think natural shoulder are too flattering on me. Yes, I almost forgot about the cuffs until last minute. Did you deal with Mr. Ned or his son?

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs

Same here- two suits- the first was ok, I thought we were on the road for a very good second suit, but it really turned out badly - I found varahm's dad really dificult to deal with, just not worth the aggravation and the quality was so so. I'm still finding basting thread on both garments and the lining unstiched on one.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Varham love to tease me about my cuffs. He relents and admits that on me for some reason it looks good. (I am sure he thinks i am still crazy for it though. (2 or 2.25 cuffs)

I hink a part of it is that people go in there and try to do too much with a suit and end up not liking it becasue the suit becomes too busy so to speak. I am quite demanding in what i want and how i want it done and have never had any issues with the Varham or his Dad.

Further, neither have ever let me walk out of there with a sub-par garment. They have even recut a completed jacket because they could not get it to lay perfectly right. (I really had to look to notice the issue. )

goldknots

Reaction score
Just curious, if you are paying for a custom made job, are you happy when you walk out with the garment and just notice these things later on?

I can't imagine paying for something custom and walking out unsatisfied, either you should be refunded or the issue should be corrected. I know $1,000 is inexpensive compared to a really high end custom suit but with that being said, it is still a substantial amount of money for something you don't like.

goldknots

Reaction score
Had my first fitting today, took about 15 minutes and an overall good experience. couldn't tell much as the jacket was in pieces but as things were pinned together it began to come together more. Looking forward to the next fitting and should have pics then. Also picked out fabric for a second suit if things go well with this one.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nycwallst
Can anyone post pictures of their completed suits? Thanks!

May want to do a search; I believe chorse123 has posted these in the past.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics