• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to colder, more casual environment

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently live in California and work in a casually-slanted business casual environment. Unfortunately, I’d be out of place wearing a sport coat, so my typical attire is dress pants, a dress shirt, and leather-soled dress shoes. On Fridays I will sometimes wear chinos or dark denim. Most people are more casual than that, and wear light colored jeans and a short sleeved polo or sport shirt.

I’m moving to a place with seasons (regular snow in the Winter), and a work environment that is truly casual -- for example, shorts in the Summer is appropriate. I want to figure out a way to dress appropriately for the office while maintaining some standards SF has instilled in me. Perhaps after establishing myself I can transition to dressing more formally than most employees, but I don't want to rock the boat at first. Here are my concerns:

• Shoes are my biggest concern since I don’t own any boots, or shoes with rubber soles in general, and I don’t think SWIMS would be appropriate. Would you suggest just getting some beater shoes/boots, or is it still worth investing in quality (for example, something like the AE Bayfield)? If so, what would you regard as essentials?
  • I think my usual outfit will be too formal to wear every day. I suppose jeans or chinos with polos, sport shirts, or dress shirts with casual details (button down versus spread collar, for example) would be the way to go?
  • I'd love to be able to get away with wearing a sport coat as a jacket in the colder months, but I doubt it will fly. I’m not even sure if any wool coat will fit in...

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Are you going to get tarred and feathered for showing up in summer with a sportcoat on? Lots of us in business casual workplaces still wear a jacket- it's not like a blazer or linen SC is insufferably formal. Unless your new officemates are bad caricatures of 1980's union guys who think you are putting on airs and trying to look like a manager, dress how you like. The casual MC thread is a good place to check as well.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless your new officemates are bad caricatures of 1980's union guys who think you are putting on airs and trying to look like a manager, dress how you like.

That's really the question: do you dress how you like or do you do the best version of what you see in your environment? I guess the answer depends on where you are in your career and how developed your personal style is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads