• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

konadog

Reaction score

It may seem like an accident waiting to happen if you haven't navigated traffic before. You are generally more attentive on a bike (less distractions). As long as you compensate for the natural vulnerability by planning your moves early, giving plenty of space, and ensuring your safety isn't dependent on a driver seeing and reacting to you, you're doing things right.
You can do a lot to prevent accidents, but unfortunately, not everything: getting rear-ended sucks.

agreed. remember, anytime you are stopped be looking in your rearview mirrors, especially on curvy roads. try to have a way out in the event the car behind you ain't paying attention.

brokencycle

Reaction score

agreed. remember, anytime you are stopped be looking in your rearview mirrors, especially on curvy roads. try to have a way out in the event the car behind you ain't paying attention.

For me, the worst thing about curvy roads (or curved exit ramps or round-a-bouts) is that people here don't know how to drive. The slam on their brakes in turns, and on a bike, it is not very safe to do that, so I always leave myself lots of space in front in these situations.

I believe the bike has made me a better and safer driver in a car as well.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Vanson motorcycle jackets? I found a waxed cotton one that looks nice and has some padding, but I'm not so sure about the fit.

If anyone also has any other recommendations for jackets that don't fit like they were made for a refrigerator then feel to let me know. Extra cool points if you know of any that come in brown.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with Vanson motorcycle jackets? I found a waxed cotton one that looks nice and has some padding, but I'm not so sure about the fit.
If anyone also has any other recommendations for jackets that don't fit like they were made for a refrigerator then feel to let me know. Extra cool points if you know of any that come in brown.

Belstaff. Also some of the Schott jackets aren't too bad, but the sleeves tend to run much fuller than the body. Roland Sands also makes some really nice looking, well made jackets, but many have some fairly conspicuous branding, which kinda turns me off. Still, worth a look..

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roland Sands also makes some really nice looking, well made jackets, but many have some fairly conspicuous branding, which kinda turns me off. Still, worth a look..

The Domino jacket looks nice.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought the Montana jacket that British motorcycle gear sells from a member here.

I like it a lot.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. My budget is only around 350 or so right now, so I'll have to keep my eye out on ebay for those.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know that there's some nice looking riding jackets out there that also function well and that one doesn't have to compromise on either front.

What about kevlar jeans? Does any jean company make some nice selvage kevlar jeans? I haven't seen any AFAIK but TBH haven't looked. I'm fixing up a bike now and so I'll probably start riding soon, which is why I ask.

Looking to buy boots and gloves, too, but those are easy to find and pretty much any kind work.

Though I did have a question about boots. I've been thinking about buying a nice pair of engineer boots but am worried that the top toe will get damaged from the gear shift, which is making me think I should buy cheaper ones that still look alright (RRL engineer boots are like $1000, no way I'd wanna damage those like that, do people even use those as they're intended?). What's everyone's opinions on this?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise you to buy street riding boots or MX boots. Those are made to give more abrasion resistance and many are armored to absorb blows.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Domino jacket looks nice.

I really like the Ronin jacket as well. The Mission would be a great jacket were it not for huge patch on the back. I am tempted to order it anyway and attempt to surgically remove the patch as long as it is only sewn on and not glued as well. I've heard good things about the quality of those coats overall.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good to know that there's some nice looking riding jackets out there that also function well and that one doesn't have to compromise on either front.
What about kevlar jeans? Does any jean company make some nice selvage kevlar jeans? I haven't seen any AFAIK but TBH haven't looked. I'm fixing up a bike now and so I'll probably start riding soon, which is why I ask.
Looking to buy boots and gloves, too, but those are easy to find and pretty much any kind work.
Though I did have a question about boots. I've been thinking about buying a nice pair of engineer boots but am worried that the top toe will get damaged from the gear shift, which is making me think I should buy cheaper ones that still look alright (RRL engineer boots are like $1000, no way I'd wanna damage those like that, do people even use those as they're intended?). What's everyone's opinions on this?

Try these. Red Wing. I have these, and they're great. Look good weathered.

I also wear these when the weather gets warm:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the tips guys. My budget is only around 350 or so right now, so I'll have to keep my eye out on ebay for those.

I should embellish a bit on the BMG Montana jacket (I was typing on my phone last night).

I got it from a SFer who bought it from someone else (and one of them never used it, the other one only used it a couple of times) so I didn't have to pay full price and it came with the back armor in addition to the stock elbow/shoulder armor. Also, I was lucky to be able to get much better measurements than they provide on the BMG site (though I think if you ask BMG and/or send them your own measurements, they are supposed to be helpful on sizing).

Jacket itself is pretty nice. Classic moto styling with no outside branding/labeling except for a small british flag on the pocket. Obviously fit and slimness depend on your body. I have the side adjusters pulled to the tightest setting but I may also have more drop than you. I might consider having it altered to have the sides taken in (or maybe replacing the shoulder/elbow pads with the fancy pads that stiffen on impact and then getting it altered to fit with the reduced volume of the slimmer pads). Leather is very soft for the stated thickness of the calf. Not baller-status leather, but nice enough for its purpose (I hit it with some lexol since I wasn't sure how long it had sat on a hanger).

There are a couple of side vent zippers that open with perforated leather underneath. Also, all of the pockets have an inch of perf-leather behind the zipper so they can be opened up as vents. Came with a fleece vest liner...dunno that I will ever use it but I suppose it is a nice touch (I'd probably just wear a extra layer with full sleeves).

And even at the full retail, considering it includes name-brand Knox shoulder and elbow armor, its a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads