• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soon I'll find out if I'm man or wo-man. This needs cleaning:
R0012720.jpg
R0012717.jpg

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Tiger, good to see your still alive and well!

Howdy. I'll be back down DC way before too long.

Originally Posted by Mblova
What route did you take?

I've been wanting to do the Delhi to Ladakh route through all the hill stations for ages now.

That was the idea, but then the snow hit. Latest big snow in memory. We made it over Rohtang but got snowed in that valley. If I were to do it again, which I won't, I would fly to Manali and rent from there, do a loop to Leh, Kargil, Jammu, McLeod Ganj. The drive from Delhi to Manali is pointless and kind of miserable, especially in the summer time when the passes are open.

The smaller a road looks on the map, the less the traffic.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Those are some pics and that's quite a story.

I was looking at the latest and greatest BMW GS, the big one "Adventure Series." Looks like a serious machine.

I'm a little guy so don't know if I could really handle a beast like that. You can definitely do anything, anywhere though.

I have big trips mentally lined up for Mexico, Chile, Mongolia...would love to do Africa on a little Honda too. Not as little as Matt's, but still little.

poissa

Reaction score
Pics of Turkey or India are amazing. I'm very jealous of your trip! Were you riding in the snow? I guess it's possible if you tell me so.

poissa

Reaction score
embedded within this discussion is there discussion of gear and such? I want some cool looking tactical jacket. looking for suggestions. cheers

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Soon I'll find out if I'm man or wo-man.

This needs cleaning:

<snip images of grungy carbs>

You will be surprised how easy it is to strip, clean and reassemble carburetors. Just follow one of the guides on the Internet for your particular model and you'll be fine. Make sure to have little cups or bowls or a divided plastic parts bin to keep all the needles and jets straight. Replace the o-rings and gaskets with fresh ones if you can. There are often inexpensive kits available with everything you need.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, talked to the owner of a BMW GS. Yeah, $500 for a basic service? Japanese bikes here I come.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay, talked to the owner of a BMW GS. Yeah, $500 for a basic service? Japanese bikes here I come.

It's true -- I no longer store, nor get my bike serviced, at the BMW dealership. On top of being ludicrously expensive, they are arrogant pricks.
ffffuuuu.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just finished reading Long Way Down, about Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's trip from Scotland to Cape Town, SA. Great book. Has anyone seen the series? Thinking about picking it up on Amazon.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my first real ride of the season today -- nothing too far, just a nice easy loaf along Lakeshore/Northshore. Good times.
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Had my first real ride of the season today -- nothing too far, just a nice easy loaf along Lakeshore/Northshore. Good times.
smile.gif

eg, what type of riding do you mainly do, urban or do you get out into the boonies also?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I just finished reading Long Way Down, about Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman's trip from Scotland to Cape Town, SA. Great book. Has anyone seen the series? Thinking about picking it up on Amazon.
Didn't read either book, saw both series. Long Way 'Round seemed less contrived, but both were excellent.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Didn't read either book, saw both series. Long Way 'Round seemed less contrived, but both were excellent.

Thanks, will look for Long Way Round first then..

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
eg, what type of riding do you mainly do, urban or do you get out into the boonies also?

Depends upon how much time I have -- since I rarely have much I usually stay in town. When I get a chance I prefer rural rides.

Yourself?

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02

+1. 'Round was the more entertaining one for me. As an aside, you may want to watch the pre-trip buildup by yourself as it is a bit slow and you might lose the interest of anyone watching with you.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads