• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Wow, this thread is making me angry. I'll just say my pick for the number one most overrated is the Eagles and leave it at that.

I can't believe two people said Joy Division.

Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
You guys are nuts. There's more combined songwriting talent in the Eagles than any other group one can name.

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses
You been out riding fences for so long now
You're a hard one
I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasing you can hurt you somehow

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds boy
She'll beat you when she's able
The queen of hearts is always your best bet
Now it seems to me some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
but you only want the ones that you can't get

Desperado, you ain't getting no younger
Your pain and your hunger
They're driving you home
And freedom, oh freedom
Well that's just some people talking
Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the night time from the day
You're losing all your highs and lows
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses
Come down from your fences
Open the gate
It may be raining
But there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you before it's too late

Dude....

EVERY song on EVERY album.

Except that aberration The Long Run.

Timothy B. Schmitt is teh ****.

Randy Meisner rocks- did you know he left the band to have more time with his family?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Cougar Melancamp....I seriously do not get the appeal nor does he deserve any attention based on musical writing or playing ability.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

PROTIP: When you say that the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, or Miles Davis are "overrated", it indicates your lack of musical and historical perspective. Why? Well, I'll tell ya....

- The Beatles not only wrote the best rock & roll songs of their era, taking the blues-influenced form of the 1960s and perfecting it with songs like "Help" and "Please Please Me", they continued to grow and experiment, broadening the definition of rock music and elevating it from catchy teenage pop into a legitimate art form. Every band popular today is following in the footsteps of the Beatles.

- Before Jimi Hendrix, the electric guitar had a completely different place in music. He showed that it could be beautiful, that it could be intricate, and that it could be the most versatile instrument in the band. Nearly every electric guitarist playing today is following in the footsteps of Jimi Hendrix. If you ever learn to play rock guitar or funk guitar (or even jazz guitar, in some traditions), you will learn techniques Hendrix invented, perfected, or popularized.

- Actually, I don't know as much about Miles Davis, but my jazz musician friends tell me that he basically invented the cool aesthetic, turned modal jazz into a whole phenomenon, and was a Beatles-style influence on everyone who came after. Sorry that my jazz knowledge isn't so good.

In conclusion -- I'm not saying you have to be a music expert, but you could at least read a ******* book before you decided that being exposed to music meant you could have a valid opinion on music.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Hey guys!

PROTIP: When you say that the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, or Miles Davis are "overrated", it indicates your lack of musical and historical perspective. Why? Well, I'll tell ya....

- The Beatles not only wrote the best rock & roll songs of their era, taking the blues-influenced form of the 1960s and perfecting it with songs like "Help" and "Please Please Me", they continued to grow and experiment, broadening the definition of rock music and elevating it from catchy teenage pop into a legitimate art form. Every band popular today is following in the footsteps of the Beatles.

- Before Jimi Hendrix, the electric guitar had a completely different place in music. He showed that it could be beautiful, that it could be intricate, and that it could be the most versatile instrument in the band. Nearly every electric guitarist playing today is following in the footsteps of Jimi Hendrix. If you ever learn to play rock guitar or funk guitar (or even jazz guitar, in some traditions), you will learn techniques Hendrix invented, perfected, or popularized.

- Actually, I don't know as much about Miles Davis, but my jazz musician friends tell me that he basically invented the cool aesthetic, turned modal jazz into a whole phenomenon, and was a Beatles-style influence on everyone who came after. Sorry that my jazz knowledge isn't so good.

In conclusion -- I'm not saying you have to be a music expert, but you could at least read a ******* book before you decided that being exposed to music meant you could have a valid opinion on music.

dude....

DBAY

Reaction score
I think the number one spot on the list would have to go to lil' wayne. Following that, I would have to say jay-z, Bob Marley, Tupac, Bruce Springsteen (mediocre songwriter and can't even carry a tune), nickelback (every song sounds the same, I don't get it), AC/DC (angus is a great guitarist and performer, but other than that they don't bring much to the table), and U2.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Willie. *******. Nelson.

One hand needed to count all his good songs.

plain.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Willie. *******. Nelson.

One hand needed to count all his good songs.

facepalm.gif

I see you're experimenting with pushing the fail envelope, Ed, as this is an extreme level of fail, even for you. You are boldly failing where no man has failed before.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Willie Nelson is way overrated. I should know, I am a big fran of this "genre"

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Willie has 68 studio albums. That is a lot of **** that is thrown on the wall, some of it is bound to stick.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am SURE that this has been said...Katy Perry. She is overrated in everything!@!!!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with you two?

Even if you're not a huge fan of Willie alone, the stuff he did with Waylon Jennings was more than good enough to earn the acclaim Willie has received.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
What the hell is wrong with you two?

Even if you're not a huge fan of Willie alone, the stuff he did with Waylon Jennings was more than good enough to earn the acclaim Willie has received.

Key to that factoid.

This is about overrated artists. Willie could not hold a candle to more famous artists in the Outlaw genre.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Waylon Jennings could *********** in my mouth and I would eat it up. YMMV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads