• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overrated Los Angeles restaurants?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Do you feel those are all overrated, or overpriced?

Keep in mind, we don't all get to Japan very often, and Nobu is not exactly traditional Japanese cuisine.

I quite liked the Nobu in Malibu, despite not enjoying the other locations I had tried.

I don't even remember the price. I just think they are overrated.

I know they are not "traditional," but the ingredients aren't that great, and the skill level is quite mediocre at best. They're not bad, but just not as good as everyone says.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found CUT and CRAFT both overrated. Most mexican food in LA that isn't street food/taco stand is really overrated.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I don't even remember the price. I just think they are overrated.

I know they are not "traditional," but the ingredients aren't that great, and the skill level is quite mediocre at best. They're not bad, but just not as good as everyone says.

Sadly, The Ramp closed, so no more traditional whale meat.
ffffuuuu.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
ffffuuuu.gif

Luckily, I visit Japan often where it's sold in every supermarket and many restaurants.

Unfortunately, I can't find dolphin anywhere, and don't want to go all the way to Taiji just to taste.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Geeze, so many overrated restaurants... I second Nobu. Obviously Little Door, but nobody goes there for food. Didnt make it to Craft, but I went to the one in Las Vegas and ... meh. OTOH, I think LA has some good moderately priced food. Astroburger comes to mind. WabiSabi on the westside is good sushi.

konadog

Reaction score
pinks is a disgrace. when i first moved to LA from chicago i lived a half-block from Pinks. ALWAYS a frickin line there. the crappiest hot dog joint in Chicago blows Pinks away. Pinks is only useful if you've accidentally swallowed something dangerous and diarrhea is the only way to get it out.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark it 8
Geeze, so many overrated restaurants... I second Nobu. Obviously Little Door, but nobody goes there for food. Didnt make it to Craft, but I went to the one in Las Vegas and ... meh. OTOH, I think LA has some good moderately priced food. Astroburger comes to mind. WabiSabi on the westside is good sushi.
I don't think there is a Craft in Las Vegas. Craftsteak is crap. I actually enjoyed Craft NYC when I was there... big difference, IMO. Just to piss everyone off, I'm going to add In & Out to the list
peepwall[1].gif
El Pollo Loco, OTOH, I thought was fun for fast food, but nowhere near as good as the peruvian chicken in DC.

upstarter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
+1

First off, you can only go to the hollywood location. 2nd off, it used to be better before the remodel and had a MUCH better vibe. The first time I went to Roscoes was 10 years ago and we had to wait 1.5 hours and it was so worth it.

Just had it recently and it's not as good, but the waffles ARE damn good, but most people don't even put enough butter and syrup on them so what do you expect.

----

Pinks, Kogi, and Diddy Reece SUCK.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
First off, you can only go to the hollywood location. 2nd off, it used to be better before the remodel and had a MUCH better vibe. The first time I went to Roscoes was 10 years ago and we had to wait 1.5 hours and it was so worth it.
I ate at that one, but it was a weeknight and i was alone, so maybe that hurt the vibe.
Just had it recently and it's not as good, but the waffles ARE damn good, but most people don't even put enough butter and syrup on them so what do you expect. .
Isn't that like saying "the coffee is real good but people don't put enough milk and sugar in it"?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ate at that one, but it was a weeknight and i was alone, so maybe that hurt the vibe.

Isn't that like saying "the coffee is real good but people don't put enough milk and sugar in it"?

Even Eggo's can taste good when you slather it with butter and syrup.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I don't think there is a Craft in Las Vegas. Craftsteak is crap. I actually enjoyed Craft NYC when I was there... big difference, IMO.

I ate at Craftsteak in Vegas. Had the Kobe (or was it Wagyu? I forget) and thought it was fantastic. Great service, too.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I ate at Craftsteak in Vegas. Had the Kobe (or was it Wagyu? I forget) and thought it was fantastic. Great service, too.
I'm glad you had a good experience. Next time I suggest you try Charlie Palmer's Steak House or Prime. I bet you'll love it even more.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
ffffuuuu.gif

You mean The Hump. I ate there about 2 weeks before the SHTF. It was very good. Nobody offered us any whale, even though we were ordering in Japanese.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
The Japanese restaurants like Nobu, Matsuhisa, Katsuya, etc.

That place is off the chart in overratedness.

Matsuhisa has been good the times I've eaten there, but it has been a few years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads