• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Free Shirt Review

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently received a free shirt from Modern Tailor as part of their promotion. The deal was I get a free shirt and all I had to do was write a review about it, so here it goes. I have used Jantzen in the past to get shirts made, so I have more experience with the measuring process. The fit of the shirt was great for a first try, and I liked the fabric I picked (linen). The stitching and the construction were good for the price (what I would have paid), and I will probably try some of their other fabrics. Overall the quality seems to be competative with Jantzen. The one thing that I found really great however is that their operation is very smooth. The whole ordering process is much more friendly and professional than Jantzen. Each step of measuring is helped by pictures and it uses a web application from start to finish to pick out fabrics, detailing you want on the shirt, entering measurements, and putting address/credit card information. You can also save profiles of your measurements so you can review them later. This is the shirt I ordered. It's a little stiff but I think a few more washes will fix that.
crY9xl.jpg
. The arms are too long, and I need to take in the sides, arms, and add darts to the back. Does anyone know if linen shrinks much? I already washed it once in cold water and did a hang dry, should I do it again before sending it to the tailor?

MatthewN

Reaction score
I'm a little confused that you seem so impressed with the measurement process, and yet the shirt needs to be altered in 4 places. If I had to pick between easy fitting and accurate fitting, I'd take accuracy. I suppose, though, like you said, a bit of error is to be expected on the first try.

That said, the fit doesn't look too bad, especially through the torso. The arms do look a little long and loose.

I'm intrigued by your fabric choice. Could we get a close-up photo?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
The arms are too long, and I need to take in the sides, arms, and add darts to the back. Does anyone know if linen shrinks much? I already washed it once in cold water and did a hang dry, should I do it again before sending it to the tailor?
Linen will shrink, perhaps less than cotton, but it shrinks. In my experience much of the shrinkage comes in the length. How much did it shrink during the first wash? If you plan to always air dry I wouldn't worry too much about more shrinking.
Originally Posted by MatthewN
I'm a little confused that you seem so impressed with the measurement process, and yet the shirt needs to be altered in 4 places. If I had to pick between easy fitting and accurate fitting, I'd take accuracy. I suppose, though, like you said, a bit of error is to be expected on the first try.
+1 It seems to need a lot of tweaking at the tailor. Would you say this is from your mistake or Modern Tailor's?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style